The TV Series discussion thread

There was some lore for the Hobbit they could dig into, but is there more about Gollum than what's already been shown in LOTR? Anyway, maybe it's not important if they come up with a good story.
I imagine they might go into his origins and how he became what he was. It was touched on in The Hobbit about how he used to be a hobbit himself before he discovered The Ring. I guess there's some potential there, but I can't say I'm very interested in anything being overseen by Peter Jackson.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEoQAoEGLhw

Looks decent. Cross fingers.
All of these series about political machinations are starting to blend together.
All of them are about how everyone just screws each other for a little bit more power and wealth.
I guess it's a story as old as time, and it's also going on in real-life for as long as we can remember.

I thought LotR had its moments, but The Hobbit was mostly shit.
Yep, I was very disappointed by Hobbit movies - like he sold out to Hollywood, all big vfx (some really poor) and over the top scenes like the goblin king, last battle with giant (sand) worms etc. The whole elf/dwarf romance ..."why does it hurt so much?!"..."because it was real" :cry: :ROFLMAO:I was WTF? Hopefully he worked that inanity out of his system and he can return to something closer to LotR.

I finished off the second series of American Rust last night, and that finale was truly something. I like a lot of the characters, save for Lee, so what happened to her was a relief to me, lol. If there's a third series I'll be watching it for sure.

Yep, I was very disappointed by Hobbit movies - like he sold out to Hollywood, all big vfx (some really poor) and over the top scenes like the goblin king, last battle with giant (sand) worms etc.
Ha ha...the wereworms! That was as bad as the army of green ghosts saving the day at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields in RotK.

It's like Jackson constantly feels compelled to add more flair where it's not needed.

I recommend watching this 3 part, no too long, "autopsy" on a lot of the stuff that happened with The Hobbit, behind the scenes.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElPJr_tKkO4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7t_g5QObs

Besides all the corporate malfeasance that the Hollywood studios were up to, it also goes into a bit of context as to how Jackson was roped into doing the Hobbit, after a lot of meandering from the studios, the falling out with Guillermo del Toro, etc. It's worth watching, I remember finding out a lot interesting things.

Considering the mixed reaction, I think I'll wait for season 2 before watching it myself. It sounds like it will be 2 seasons in total.
I haven't watched it yet, but I was hoping there would be three seasons as there are three books in the series IIRC.

Though the way Netflix does things, it'd probably be cancelled after the second season, leaving things dangling, anyway. ;)

I've been cleaning up all the outstanding star trek episodes I had on my list including:
  1. Enterpise all four seasons - Great characters and plenty of decent plotlines while sticking to the tried and testing ST episodic format. 8/10
  2. SNW Season 1&2 - I thought it was pretty good overall. Good mix of characters and the episodes mostly stuck to the tried and tested ST formula. 7/10.
  3. Picard Season 2 - Season 1 was bad and Season 2 wasn't much better. I really struggled to get through it. The entire season is dedicated to pretty much one average plotline. 4/10
  4. Picard Season 3 - What a turnaround. Most of the weaker characters were culled and a great story line holds everything together. I haven't been this impressed with ST in a long time and they only thing I missed was some slightly more episodic style content. Made me glad I stuck with it through the first two seasons. 9/10.
Next up is the final season of Discovery. I am really not looking forward to it as I consider Discovery the worst of nu-trek by a significant margin despite that fact that it has had a few (and I mean few) great episodes over it's 4 seasons so far. It should have been cancelled after the first season.

I also finished the Season 1 and 2 of Halo and really enjoyed it despite never really playing any of the games. Some of the epic battles like the defense of Reach were the highlight for me. 8/10.

I also watched the first two seasons of Constellation and the first season of Dark Matter on Apple TV. Both of them are pretty average (5/10) and I am not sure I will bother resubbing to apple TV when my free 6 month sub finishes.

Yeah, I'm not enjoying Star Trek Discovery - I have plowed through them all, but feel SNW was way better and more 'adventure-y'. Discovery seems to be more about character's personal emotional issues etc...*cue quivering lip, and teary eyes*.... Just glad its the last season.

Nod, ST:D is simply best avoided. That third series of Picard is well worth checking out and from what I could tell, you don't need to know much about the prior two seasons.

I tried the first episode of series two for Outer Range and man, this series seems more convoluted than even the prior one, and that's saying something.

I tried getting through Picard last year but quit about halfway through Season 2. I'm curious about Season 3 now after reading these comments.

I just binge-watched Severance in two days.
It was good! All of the acting was great and I have a new appreciation for Adam Scott. I don't think I've seen him in a non-comedic role before.
Hopefully the next season is out soon.

I just binge-watched Severance in two days.
It was good! All of the acting was great and I have a new appreciation for Adam Scott. I don't think I've seen him in a non-comedic role before.
Hopefully the next season is out soon.
It's been so long that I may have actually lost some investment, but I did like the first season a lot when I watched it.

Yes, they covered the whole book. Yes, I would have been content with one season.

But with the same creators coming back, it doesn't make sense imo to be overly cynical about further Shogun seasons before we know anything about them. Neil Druckman was fine with making only one The Last of Us game, but when he decided he had a strong idea for a sequel, Naughty Dog made a sequel, and it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Back
Top Bottom