The TV Series discussion thread

Stuff wot I watched recently:

Finished season 2 of Them.
Real creepy stuff. Very much channels late 80s and early 90s horror franchises like Nightmare on Elm Street, Candyman, and so on. Like those, perhaps gets a little silly toward the end, and the ending is predictable, but up til then a satisfyingly creepy ride. Nice tie-in in the last episode to the first season, too. I recommend it, with some minor caveats.
Does it end properly, or is it left hanging? I heard that it was cancelled or something? Was it cancelled abruptly, or did at least make an effort to wrap it up?

Does it end properly, or is it left hanging? I heard that it was cancelled or something? Was it cancelled abruptly, or did at least make an effort to wrap it up?
Each season is a complete story, set in a different era. The last episode of season 2 shows some links with season 1, but the plot doesn't hinge on them.
Season 3 isn't confirmed, and I guess it'll be a case of whether the creator/writer (Little Martin) has a compelling enough idea and whether Amazon is willing to wait another 2 or 3 years.

Each season is a complete story, set in a different era. The last episode of season 2 shows some links with season 1, but the plot doesn't hinge on them.
Season 3 isn't confirmed, and I guess it'll be a case of whether the creator/writer (Little Martin) has a compelling enough idea and whether Amazon is willing to wait another 2 or 3 years.
Ah, shit. I just realized I've confused the series with another one, that was said to be more like LOST. It's From that I was thinking of.

Just FYI, From isn't canceled, though both seasons end on cliffhangers (and is a fantastic series in my opinion).
Hm, why was I convinced it was cancelled. I just checked, and it seems a third season was greenlit indeed. Nevermind then; I might need to get into this one as well, since I keep hearing about it. And you again confirmed what I had heard.

I've returned to Fargo. I had previously watched seasons 1-3 but then got into other things and took a hiatus. I've watched the first 4 episodes of Season 4 this weekend and liked them a lot. Not sure why this season gets such a bad rap.

The cast is a bit hit or miss. Chris Rock does seem a little out of place, and Jason Schwartzman is the most un-Italian head of an Italian crime family I've ever seen. Jessie Buckley is excellent as the crazy nurse though, and I really like Timothy Olyphant's character so far.

I've returned to Fargo. I had previously watched seasons 1-3 but then got into other things and took a hiatus. I've watched the first 4 episodes of Season 4 this weekend and liked them a lot. Not sure why this season gets such a bad rap.

The cast is a bit hit or miss. Chris Rock does seem a little out of place, and Jason Schwartzman is the most un-Italian head of an Italian crime family I've ever seen. Jessie Buckley is excellent as the crazy nurse though, and I really like Timothy Olyphant's character so far.
I liked it. I think it's the least of the Fargoes, but it's still good. Yeah, Jessie Buckley was great in it. The dude that plays the trouble-making brother of the family boss does some serious overacting, but it is so menacing and entertaining that I enjoyed him a lot.

For me it's simply weak when compared to others seasons of Fargo, and some of the cast choices just didn't work for me. And honestly I was expecting much more out of Rock, then just came to the conclusion that someone else should have had the part.

It took me almost eleven months yet I finally finished LA Law last night, and it was a good ride. It's almost an anthology of sorts, with all the cast changes over the years, some seasons focused more on personal issues and others on significant law cases. I can see why it was such a hit!

It took me almost eleven months yet I finally finished LA Law last night, and it was a good ride. It's almost an anthology of sorts, with all the cast changes over the years, some seasons focused more on personal issues and others on significant law cases. I can see why it was such a hit!
Anything Nathan Fielder does is worth watching. He's almost at Andy Kaufman levels of comedy. His last show with the rehearsing nonsense on the recreated sets was fantastic. Baby Reindeer's a show that's hard not to binge all at once. Really good.

8 episodes through Fargo season 4 now and still enjoying it a lot. I also like how it ties into season 2. If only the casting had been a little better, I think it could have been on par with season 1 for me.

Finished Season 4 of Fargo. The ending caught me by surprise, and I really liked it. Also loved the mid-credits scene flashback to Season 2 and Mike Milligan. I had begun to suspect in the previous episode that Satchel Cannon was Milligan as a kid.

I continue to be impressed by this series and how it managed to maintain such a consistent level of quality over this many seasons. I'll probably start Season 5 this weekend.

I continue to be impressed by this series and how it managed to maintain such a consistent level of quality over this many seasons. I'll probably start Season 5 this weekend.
I was shocked at how solid even 5 was. Most series would've flipped over by now. True Detective :(

I binged the first 4 episodes of Fargo Season 5 last night. Not really sure what to think yet. I'm assuming most of the good stuff is backloaded towards the second half? If I had to judge it based on what I've seen so far, it's easily the worst season.

I binged the first 4 episodes of Fargo Season 5 last night. Not really sure what to think yet. I'm assuming most of the good stuff is backloaded towards the second half? If I had to judge it based on what I've seen so far, it's easily the worst season.
I don’t remember thinking it was weak at any point in particular. But there are plenty to happen.

Back
Top Bottom