The TV Series discussion thread

I liked how the writers didn't do the typical thing and obsess over resolving a situation according to modern norms. For example, dealing with what became of that ...hungry town after Joel and Ellie left the area. Speaking for myself (and other like-minded people), "I don't care - saving the world one episode at a time isn't the point of the story." The content itself wasn't wholly original, but I enjoyed how little unnecessary bullshit was tacked on.

Picard continues along a decent trek, at least when you compare it to the prior two series. I'm still keeping an eye out on the whole Lore/Data/Bfour resolution, as I feel like I've been done this path before and surprises can be ouchy.

Poldark is keeping me entertained, I'm hoping to get more backround on his time spent in the colonies yet I feel like that's not going to happen, the focus seems to be more on his return home, new marriage, and business opportunities. It's good so I'll be sticking with it for sure, Mum enjoys it also.

Poldark is staying decent, though it's turning more into a tacit soap opera more than anything else, which is somewhat disappointing. Mum loves it though, so for now we'll be sticking with it.

And man, Snowfall simply keeps ramping up the brutal stakes. I'm starting to think perhaps no one is going to make it out alive.

I also want to check out the most recent Titans episodes, might get around to that later this week or weekend.

We finished a season of a new (or newer) show called "From." It was fantastic. Better than "Lost," in my opinion. Anyone else seen this? This was a week or two ago. Since we've been watching a show called "Hemlock Grove." Pretty weird and a little too romance-y for my tastes, but much better than I thought it'd be going in to it.

Reactions: Dez
I watched From, when it first released. I quite enjoyed the first three or four episodes, yet not so much the latter ones. If there's a second series I've not checked it out as of yet.

Picard is staying the course, last night was a pretty good hour, with yet possibly the most significant character return (ok, speaking solely for myself!). Getting the full breakdown on Jack and what's driving him was revealing, though I think it should have happened maybe an episode or three ago, simply to let it progress at a standard pace. Trying to do all that in under an hour plus everything else that was going on felt rushed, though I suspect the final episode will have lots of good stuff going on.

Yeah, I spent some time in Alaska some years ago so I'm looking forward to the show and especially in that new setting. I'm hoping the quality is more like the first and second series, as I found the third truly lack-luster. And yup, Foster is a gem, I've enjoyed her works since Taxi Driver, as I've not found many people that can ninja a starring role away from De Niro, yet in that flick, she certainly did, at least for me.

Yeah, I spent some time in Alaska some years ago so I'm looking forward to the show and especially in that new setting. I'm hoping the quality is more like the first and second series, as I found the third truly lack-luster.
Really? You liked the second more than the third? I enjoyed the third much more than the second.
The second was ok, serviceable, but kinda felt directionless.
What I loved about the third is how all 3 (or how many there were) time periods intertwined with each other. I also found Mahershala Ali, a very solid choice.
Of course, it's been some time. So maybe I do suffer from some rose-tinted-glasses.

I really liked the first two seasons of True Detective. I still haven't seen Season 3 yet.

I'm interested in Season 4 because I've seen speculation that it might be tied to Season 1 in some manner.

I'm endeavouring to catch up on the second series of Perry Mason, I'm up to the fourth episode and the story is getting exceptionally good.

Poldark, ehhh, it started off so good and now it's like a pitiful soap opera, Mum loves it yet I find myself grabbing a book at times.

And so Picard, series three is done. And it's worth watching. For the first time in like, fourteen years, ever since Bad Reboot captured Trek and has held it basically hostage ever since, these episodes feel like the next generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager rolled into one. Now, is it perfect? Nope, the mere thought of Borg and Dominion forces working together makes my head ache, as these forces are so diametrically opposed to make such a collaboration laughable. For me, what it boiled down to was I thought Nemesis was an ugly way for the next generation crowd to go out, and this is much better. It puts STD to shame and, while I'd never rewatch the first two Picard series, this one I would.

I'll miss Shaw, though. I totally would have watched a new series with him as captain, and while they might go that route with Hansen, I don't really care for her in that role.

I didn't much like the way episode 10 of Picard played out; it felt so anti-climactic.
I also didn't much care for the way Jack's 'powers' were set up throughout the season - it felt like some kind of Marvel fantasy. The reasoning behind that plot device was finally revealed, but I mostly rolled my eyes at the Borg yet again being the supervillains of the story (albeit woefully underdeveloped).

Overall, though, I enjoyed the season for the fan service that it was. My favorite part was the big reveal / shot at the end of episode 9. Very Nostalgic.

Man, Mad Men is so enjoyable. Technically you could qualify most of it as regular human drama, and very likely that in other hands it would either not be impressive or it could even be in the realm of melodramatic soap-opera. But it's done so wonderfully that it's very enjoyable.

I thought Nemesis was an ugly way for the next generation crowd to go out, and this is much better.
Hear, hear. Redemption. :)

I'll miss Shaw, though. I totally would have watched a new series with him as captain, and while they might go that route with Hansen, I don't really care for her in that role.
Indeed! He was really great. Not sure why they wrote him out like they did. Maybe there's story to that?

Man, Mad Men is so enjoyable. Technically you could qualify most of it as regular human drama, and very likely that in other hands it would either not be impressive or it could even be in the realm of melodramatic soap-opera. But it's done so wonderfully that it's very enjoyable.
Few people seem to enjoy this show, because as you said nothing much happens, but I loved the atmosphere, the characters and the portrayal of the society at that time. The end is quite unexpected, let me know what you think when you get there.

I recently watched The Night Agent and Shooter. Nothing profound but they're easy to watch. The first doesn't fly very high; it's a nice distraction if you don't pay too much attention to the unlikeliness of it all. The second is also the same old complot story but in my opinion it's better designed, and more interesting.

Few people seem to enjoy this show, because as you said nothing much happens, but I loved the atmosphere, the characters and the portrayal of the society at that time. The end is quite unexpected, let me know what you think when you get there.
It's gonna take a while. I'm only at the end of S2. And I love it for the very same reasons you mentioned. And it's so laid back, smooth and cool. Plus, it seems very subtle and smart a lot of times.
I especially loved
The scene where, after Don finds out he's apparently known as a womanizer, he's in the bathroom shaving and his daughter walks in, sits and starts to look at him admirably and with a big smile on her face.
He catches her looking at him, and sends her away, as he feels tears forming.
I can't say for certain and I may be way off, but I read that scene as him being very doubtful and guilty of what he's become, and being protective of his daughter and interpreting her look as similar to what women seem to give him regularly, admiring him. He suddenly sees his own daughter exploited by other womanizers?
That was my read anyway. I great scene and so subtle.

It's strange, for some reason I seem to be certain I watched the first 3-4 seasons ages ago, but I cannot remember almost anything from the start of S2 onwards.

And, is it really true that few enjoyed it? I was under the impression that it got generally very positive reviews. Maybe I just read into that.
It did survive for 7 seasons though, and wasn't cancelled, so there must've been some viewership.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom