Wasteland 3 - Officially Announced

I don't know to me it smacks of "holier than thou" thinking on Eldergnomes part. Hypocritical even, unless Eldergnome spends all of his/her disposable income on charity.

For instance, maybe Eldergnome shouldn't game at all since any money spent on it would be better spent on charity. Why stop there he/she shouldn't go to the movies,go out to eat, shop for anything other than bare necessities, etc. as that money would also be better off donated.

I think it's a question of degrees, rather than absolutes. I don't think anyone's saying we shouldn't buy games and enjoy our lives. But, when it's a case of fundraising and contributing hundreds or thousands of dollars to a videogame Kickstarter, I don't think it's crazy for someone to say that should give us pause for thought.

I just made a fig account. Interesting system. There are no stretch goals, and the campaign ends when the funds asked for are collected. You can also invest in the game and share profits. . . for 1000$. Investing starts before the campaign itself begins. In this case they already have 12 profit sharing investors, meaning they only need 1.5 million to finish funding development. Me, I'll just invest the 25$ minimum to show my support.

Wow. That's wild that you can actually invest like that. Interesting system for sure.

I think it's a question of degrees, rather than absolutes. I don't think anyone's saying we shouldn't buy games and enjoy our lives. But, when it's a case of fundraising and contributing hundreds or thousands of dollars to a videogame Kickstarter, I don't think it's crazy for someone to say that should give us pause for thought.

I don't think it's crazy but if your going to make that statement you need to be willing to look at funds that are going towards things you support not just cherry pick something you don't support and say that money should be donated.

I don't think it's crazy but if your going to make that statement you need to be willing to look at funds that are going towards things you support not just cherry pick something you don't support and say that money should be donated.

To be clear, I've said in this thread that I do support Kickstarters, some more than others, and that I have no problem with inxile going back to KS for Wasteland 3. I'm just responding to another point that someone else raised, which I think is fair comment.

Really? I'm pretty sure it's up to him what he does with his money. ;)

Just wanted to say that I think this notion of "charity", when talking about this topic, is way off base.

I'm not backing these games out of the goodness of my heart, as if they are a "charity" that I want to support. Hell no! I'm supporting these games because I love old school type rpgs, and want to play more games like this. Seriously, charity has nothing to do with it. If anything, an unkind person could say I am backing these games out of selfishness, while a more neutral person would say that I'm backing these kinds of games out of passion for a hobby that I enjoy.

That said, I will now rant about this argument about charity, just to cause further confusion *grin* ….I think that trying to shame people because they are passionate about a hobby is kind of a crappy thing to do, in my humble opinion.

Do you know that this type of argument can be made, and is made, when talking about various charities? For example, one person says their favorite charity is say, animal shelters, and another person's charity is, let's say, breast cancer. Then, person A says to person B, why aren't you donating to animal shelters, do you hate puppies and kittens, or just animals in general? Person B responds: What?? You know what I don't get is why you aren't donating to breast cancer research, do you like animals more than people, or do you just happen to hate women?

What I'm trying to say with this example is that I find this particular line of argument to be flawed, and annoying, and like another commenter said, too much of a holier-than-thou feeling or edge to it. Self-righteous type arguments can be off-putting as well as highly annoying…my two cents.

Last edited:
On the topic of why some might not be into funding games or pre-ordering:

http://www.slashgear.com/no-mans-sk...y-we-should-stop-pre-ordering-games-15451789/

WL2 was really only properly "done" for the PC months after they released it. I bought it full price upon release and figure that's enough "support" from this gamer. I'll buy WL 3 when its done; probably 6 months after release judging by previous kick starters. Being first just isn't important to me. I don't pirate software and own hundreds of games I bought full price; I think I support my hobby industry quite enough in that way.

For people who like buying stuff sight unseen and supporting the development process, cool. KS gives you a way to do that.

Well, the thing is that if you do buy the game in the kickstarter stage you do have a chance to improve the game. If you buy it 6 months after it is done, you'll not affect the game at all, you may however of course affect the quality of the next game. Because with projects with companies like InExile or Obsidian, there is low risk the project will not be made if they do get the kickstarter money asked.

Wl2 is not a good showcase why you would support WL3. Even with DC version that came 1 year later it was still incomplete game with major problems.

I'd love to add my 2 cents, but far be it for me to derail this marvellous thread.

I don't think there is a real problem with a regular pledge like $25 up to… hmmm… what… $150 or so(?) in crowdfunding but e.g. the many thousands of $$$ some people have spent on (mere concepts of) Star Citizen space ships really is kind of obscene in my opinion.

A quick personal story: I accompanied a family friend to Jerusalem earlier this year where they have this hospice for people to spend the last days of their lives (a place for all religions… Muslims, Jews and Christians alike). The place is run by an order of French sisters/nurses who are -honestly- superhuman.
The Israeli government wanted to shut down the place because of some compliance issues which required rebuilding but the hospital did not have the funds for renovations.
It took an *enormous* amount of effort to raise enough capital (a low US$ millions sum total… less than many KS projects are asking for) to keep the place up and running and to preserve this very important cross-religious facility for dying patients in Jerusalem!

And then you have a game like Star Citizen where they show off a fancy trailer and make $2 million in less than a weekend. It just feels completely wrong when compared to the difficulties that some veritable charities have to keep up their community work which actually matters as opposed to owning a space ship in a video game…

One you become a hotel owner you'll understand. What? You'll never be a hotel owner? Ah well, neither will I.

If a government wants to shut down a needed place, let them. Your, or someone else's efforts to save it won't help bringing such idiotic government down.
Anyway, after Amalur case I don't think any government will invest in games.

Really? I'm pretty sure it's up to him what he does with his money. ;)

Of course it is, except he was the one suggesting what people should do with thier money. Maybe you already know that and are just being sarcastic? Sorry, can't tell.

I'm with Arkadia on this one. To me, Kickstarter isn't charity, it's more like a pre-order but with the obvious risk that the game will be awful. On the other hand, I've preordered games before that left me disappointed. I will continue to support devs I have confidence in. But charity? Nope, pure selfish reasons.

Kickstarter is 'charity' only if you give money without claiming any rewards.

If you get anything, then by definition is not charity. It's not 'investment' since you don't get a share of the profit. It is not 'preorder' since the project could actually fail and you don't get your money back.

It's a new concept, and I agree it is very difficult to keep justifying the 'risks'. As an individual, you always get better games (patched and all) for less money (discounts) if you just wait after the release.

Of the 30+ projects I backed, the vast majority were disappointments: never delivered or very late, questionable features, games that I would have just avoided reading reviews, or just tried for a few dollars.

You got that right.
I'm on a crusade and have no problem with getting dirty. The outcome probability is not on my side, but I'm not an usual quitter and sometimes something happens against all odds. In this case, while not very likely, Inxile might still drop the MMO act and transfer funds planned for that rubbush into richer singleplayer experience.

So in other words, you're willing to be intentionally deceptive, all for the sake of your "crusade". Ends justifies the means, and all that. Always good to know your ethical bounds.

Wl2 is not a good showcase why you would support WL3. Even with DC version that came 1 year later it was still incomplete game with major problems.

That's not really the consensus view by any means.

I won't be backing. I reserve crowdfunding for unique projects these days. A sequel to an already Kickstarted project hardly falls into that category for me.

So in other words, you're willing to be intentionally deceptive, all for the sake of your "crusade". Ends justifies the means, and all that. Always good to know your ethical bounds.
My ethical bounds prevent me to monetize what you call the deception while it's - exaggeration.
Inxile's ethical bounds, and I bet yours too, are different than that. If selling a mother earns $, let's do it ASAP.

I said what I need to say, and won't return unless Inxile cuts it out of the project.
Wasteland 3 will in my opinion be just another irrelevant MMO. As such, it's funding process won't see a dime from me. Whoever believes I'm making a terrible mistake can correct it with their wallet by backing the project with some more $ than planned so the MMO project ends successful.

Worth reading:
Five common reasons game marketing is misleading

Last edited:
Of course it is, except he was the one suggesting what people should do with thier money. Maybe you already know that and are just being sarcastic? Sorry, can't tell.

Making suggestions isn't quite the same thing as telling someone they "need to" do something. Just saying…

Back
Top Bottom