What are you reading?

Christopher Tolkien's text compilation "Beren And Lúthién", or how it is called. It was the book before his last book, or, in German words, the "vor-letzte" book.

I forgot about how much silly stuff there is (e.g., who they send on the infiltration mission, WTF guys), but I do remember how silly the end is, so I've got that to look forward to.
Perfect example of 'the journey is the destination'.
Recently finished Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon which is thematically very similar but The Stand is for me clearly the better story. Swan Song had a lot of potential but felt very rushed towards the end.

Currently finishing Red Country by J. Abercrombie
Neat western story in the gritty world of 'The First Law'

Perfect example of 'the journey is the destination'.
Recently finished Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon which is thematically very similar but The Stand is for me clearly the better story. Swan Song had a lot of potential but felt very rushed towards the end.
I've read several McCammons, but not that one. I've owned a tatty (large) paperback for many years, but not got around to it. I read his first four books and then skipped straight to Wolf's Hour (which I thought was excellent) but haven't managed to pick him up again since. Too many authors, not enough time.

(BTW, big fan of Abercrombie, I think I've read all of his - including his YA series, good choice there)

Now reading Misery (SK). As good as I remember it, but I forgot how nasty Annie Wilkes is in the book version. This is one of those (rare?) cases where both book and movie version are equally fantastic.

Rereading Brandon Sanderson's Wax & Wayne books now that the final one in the sequence is out. I'm about halfway through Bands Of Mourning now.

Two days ago I wrapped up a reread of Outlander, a book I'd read some twenty-five plus years ago, and at that time I don't really recall enjoying it, perhaps too much competition and having to deal with work lessened the impact on me. This time I really got into the story especially some of the nuances that I don't even recall from the first time around, and I'll be going on to the second book as soon as it comes in. And yes, I have tried watching the telly version, I didn't care for it at all.

I have tried watching the telly version, I didn't care for it at all.
My wife and I tried to watch it and also didn't like it. I really really disliked the unnecessary voice overs, saying what we she was doing even though we knew what she was doing because we were watching her bloody doing it. Possibly it improved, or they tamped down on the voiceovers, but I never gave it another chance.

My elderly parents like it. Because, boobies n stuff.

Currently reading Needful Things by Mr King, one of the few I've never read before. It sounded really boring when I was younger, like a small town soap opera, so I skipped it.

Now that I'm older and middle-aged (and more boring), I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Next I'll be watching Coronation Street and Emmerdale Farm. Every. Single. Day. Like my mother does.

I re-read one of George Martin's earlier offerings the other day, Armageddon Rag. It takes a look at the effects that the sixties had on a group of folks roughly about thirteen years later, so it takes place mostly in the early eighties. This was the very first book that I read of his, and I remember enjoying the was he composites the prose, and much of the character dialogue. If I remember right this even predates Fevre Dreams and the Wild Card series, let alone the Ice and Fire tales. I found myself enjoying it this go-around just as much as I did back then.

Now I'm onto book three of the Outlander series, Voyager. Yeah these books can get a bit into some areas I'm not so fond of, yet I've stuck with them so far simply to enjoy the historical aspects of Scotland, many of which I'm not terribly familiar with. Gotta keep an eye on my gaelic breathern, after all!

Finished book three of the Outlander tales, I've a detective tale now to tide me over for a bit, book six of the Haller series, Law of Innocence. I quite enjoy how Connelly writes, he does police/detective/PI drama just the way I thoroughly enjoy.

Knocked off Law of Innocence today, I quite enjoyed the book though the end was a tad weak, imo. It went for an easy finish after the court case itself was so difficult and well drawn out, I was hoping for a slobberknocker of a finish. Maybe the next book will continue what was left on the table.

So I've read and re-read the Saxon tales plenty of times, today I got my hands on book thirteen which I've not read before. Woots!!

Recently signed up for my local library. Libby says I'm 2nd in line for Sharp Ends.. until then I'm continuing the short story collection Machine Learning from Hugh Howey.
Finally got to the Silo stories, they're sooo good. Wondering if Hugh is a fan of the Fallout video games :unsure:

I just wrapped up War Lord a few hours ago, book thirteen of the Saxon tales series. It was the first time I'd read this book and, if it's the actual conclusion to the series, I think it was the perfect send-off. Cornwell's dedication was also rather nice, though I disagree strongly about the person that plays the protagonist on the telly series.

Of course, if more books are coming I'm down for that too!

Now I'm on to book ten of the Bosch series, the Narrows.

Finally wrapped up the Dune novels, just before the New Year. Well, I read all the ones I was planning to read, at least (which is the original 6 ones, the Butlerian Jihad trilogy and the 2 wrap-up ones). All in all I quite liked it and was satisfied enough with the ending. I was surprised though that I found the quicker moving pace and more action-y story of the son's books more enjoyable.

I decided to switch to fantasy to clear my palate a little, so am starting to read the Realm of the Elderlings series, by Robin Hobb (Farseer, Liveship, Tawny Man, Fitz and the Fool trilogies and the Rain Wilds quartet). Quite looking forward to it, they've been on my backlog for a long time. I read the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies like 15 years ago in Dutch and thoroughly enjoyed them, so am going to read them in English now for the first time.

Dune novels, always a great read! I need to revisit those again, soon.

Recently I wrapped up books two Bosch books and right now I'm on book four of the Outlander series, Drums of Autumn. This novel finds much of the cast in the American colonies, and is really good so far. Not sure why I gave up on this series decades ago yet really happy to have discovered it again.

Back
Top Bottom