What are you reading?

Those are great!

For my part I would definitely add Going Postal, in which a ex-con, Moist von Lipwig, is conned by Vetinari and must do ... honest things. The sequel, Making Money, is not bad either.

They do remind me of some of Pier Anthony's endeavours some time back, like with the Xanth universe. Sometimes you can be in the mood for such things, and other times, not so much.

I tried Color of Magic a few years back, but it's not for me. Too whimsical.
If you have only tried this book, maybe you could try another of the ones we listed earlier. For what it's worth, I have read The Colour of Magic but didn't like it much. Not that the others are dead serious, Pratchett's stories are all fanciful, but TCoM is very heavy on the style.

Actually, I think that any section with Rincewind (the wizard) has this exuberant style. TCoM was the first of the Discworld series, and the last book I've read was Making Money, which is one of the last in the same series. Rincewind made a short apparition and I had the impression that this little part of story had quite a different style. Maybe it's just me though?

PS: be that as it may, it was only his first book in the series, it's not really representative.

I finished my current Outlander book yesterday and found it quite satisfying. I enjoy how the story can bounce between both America and Europe, as well as often traveling in time as well. I'm in line for the next book!

Now I'm back to Bosch with the Black Box, which seems to focus on an unsolved murder that happened during the '92 riots in LA.

I tried Color of Magic a few years back, but it's not for me. Too whimsical.
Yes, but the later books become very grim. You could try "Maurice and his edicated Rodents" to see where it is leading to. "Monstrous Regiment" is the most grim one, imho.

And I completed the Black Box this morning, a really good tale about a murder that happened twenty years earlier. It so impressed me that I immediately went for the next book in the Bosch series, the Burning Room, which I'm about twenty percent into right now.

"Grim" is not an adjective I would associate with Pratchett's Discworld series. :unsure:
I do so. With the latest books, though, only. Have you ever read "Monstrous Regiment" or the "Maurice" novel ? Both are very much about ethics. And humanism.

I do so. With the latest books, though, only. Have you ever read "Monstrous Regiment" or the "Maurice" novel ? Both are very much about ethics. And humanism.
I've read almost all books in the Discworld series including Monstrous Regiment, but not The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodent.

There's usually a dose of black humour in his fantasy novels, but it's never dead serious, depressing or unpleasant. Even when there are deaths, Pratchett makes it so absurd or comical that it's hard to feel it's real. That's how I've experienced it anyway.

I went through the Burning Room like a fire hose, it was top notch and tough to put down! It ends on a rather somber note, so I'm intensely curious to see what will happen in the next book. The story within was really good as well, I find myself enjoying Bosch's time on the Unsolved squad.

Now I'm on to a new book and series, The Book of Evidence, by John Banville. I've not read any of his other works so I'm hoping for a winner.

Wrapped up Book of Evidence roughly an hour ago, it's an odd tale and told completely from the view point of the murderer, so you truly cannot count on honesty being part of his agenda, as you find out fairly early. It's a good read and I'll be looking for the next book.

And I'll be starting book eight of the Outlander series later today, Written in My Own Heart's Blood.

I just finished 'The Last Wish' by Andrzej Sapkowski. I purchased it years ago but never actually read it until now for some reason.

I recently acquired the other books in The Witcher saga and will probably read 'Sword of Destiny' next which is another collection of short stories about Geralt & company.

I completed the latest Outlander book for me, and it's glorious. Lots of interaction with the ongoing British/American conflict, the fictional characters being on the peripheral of real battles, man I find that totally engrossing when done well! The ending is really nice though there's an eighteen week wait on the next book for me, so that'll be something to look forward to. Though the telly show never grabbed me, this entire series is well worth reading.

Right now I'm back on the Dublin murder series, having just started book four, Broken Harbor. It's off to an excellent start already.

I just finished 'The Last Wish' by Andrzej Sapkowski. I purchased it years ago but never actually read it until now for some reason.

I recently acquired the other books in The Witcher saga and will probably read 'Sword of Destiny' next which is another collection of short stories about Geralt & company.

I usually am not a big fan of short story collections, but I thought both of those were absolutely excellent, and liked the way they interconnected.

I usually am not a big fan of short story collections, but I thought both of those were absolutely excellent, and liked the way they interconnected.
Yeah, I'm reading Sword of Destiny now, and so far it seems like it's just as good if not better than The Last Wish. I hope his full-length novels are as good.

Back
Top Bottom