What games are you playing now?

Dead Island 2
Only an hour in so far. Performs way better than I expected, given that I'm slightly less than recommended, spec-wise.
So far, so linear (I'm only an hour in), but enjoyable enough.
I was wondering about any connections with the first installments, and:
You meet Sam B - one of the playable characters from the first games - at the first "home base" area

Been playing Guild Wars the past few weeks; the first one, not the homogenized sequel. Currently, the anniversary event is going on for the next two weeks.

I started a play-trough of Fallout 4 while my partner is playing Skyrim for the first time. Damn, these are some awesome games! Looking forward to Starfield.

I started a play-trough of Fallout 4 while my partner is playing Skyrim for the first time. Damn, these are some awesome games! Looking forward to Starfield.
Don't forget to use the Sim Settlement mods.:)

Been playing a bit of Diablo 2 Remastered, and it's pretty impressive how good it looks. And even though it's significantly slower than Diablo 3/4, it's still very solid.
I kind of wished Diablo 4 went even more towards Diablo 2's art style.

I tried a bit of Sifu, expecting to at least enjoy it mechanically since it sounded a lot like Sekiro. But, I kind of got bored of it.
I'm either burned out on mechanically complex fighting games, or it's the setting which is pretty boring to me. Compared to Sekiro.
Yeah, the idea of fighting a bunch of dudes in bare-fisted combat doesn't really do it for me. I also can't usually stand action movies that involve a lot of hand-to-hand combat, in this style. They bore me to tears.
Sekiro was significantly different and the sum of its parts were greater than the whole. I just don't feel it for Sifu. But I think it's mainly the plot and the contemporary setting.

EDIT: I think I need to give Sifo another chance. I might have been too tired and impatient for it at that moment.

Last edited:
Played some more Sifu, and it's pretty good. It's got some of the good stuff from Sekiro, but again, non of the diversity and fantasy elements. But it's good.
But I've already almost broken my controller due to raging on the last phase of the "tutorial". Actually it's an extra tutorial that they apparently added to the game, outside of the initial introduction. Seems the community was asking for it.
And it's got 7 steps. And on the 7th step, I cannot get over the final stage of the tutorial. It's asking me to do about 6 moves, in sequence and with a required timing between each, that are technically a lot easier than stuff I did earlier.
But I cannot for the life of me get it right. Or a bunch of times I feel I got it right, but I always get the "too late" notice. It's so fucking infuriating. I think I tried it 20-30 times (since it's a very short loop around; the sequence maybe takes 5 secs and 1 sec restart).
And I cannot get it right. So maddening. I hope that if I do decide to go on with the campaign I won't have any fight that asks for a particular set of moves to get past it.
Anyway, we'll see. I might quit while I'm ahead and not get into it right now. I feel, just like with Sekiro, that I'll probably have a bunch of raging moments.

Still playing Geneforge 1 Mutagen. The game is goddamn awful and I am forcing myself to finish it. I think I am near the end from what I remember. Level 18 but the game plays almost exactly the same at level 18 that it did at the low levels. The lack of spells and tactics in this game is mind boggling. I don't remember it being this bad but this must of been the reason I stopped playing spiderweb games many many years ago. All the maps are almost the same. Very little variety in creations just you get more of them as you level up. The story is somewhat okay but it doesn't make up for just how repetitive the rest of the game is.

On a brighter note I have almost finished HOMM3 complete edition. The game is awesome in all regards except for the weak/buggy AI. Despite that there has been a few quite challenging maps that I even had to restart a few times because I was outgunned. HOMM3 has the perfect variety of troop types and is better balanced than most of the later HOMM games. I only have about 5 maps left on the final campaign but I think it might take some time because the challenge level is very high (playing on Impossible). You have to know exact where everything is and know exactly the sequence to rush everything as you are outnumbered 5-1 at the start of some the maps so the enemy heroes can overwhelm you with sheer numbers easily.

Yeah, Geneforge did nothing for me either. Which is shame, as I really like the Avernum series.

Now here's a game that's showing loads of potential. I just started it. Dredge.
It's a little indie game where you're a fisherman around some small islands.
It seems to have some lovecraftian influences, and it's pretty cool.
Both mechanically and storywise.
I'm also getting some Sunless Sea vibes. But it's not as dreary as that.

Now here's a game that's showing loads of potential. I just started it. Dredge.
It's a little indie game where you're a fisherman around some small islands.
It seems to have some lovecraftian influences, and it's pretty cool.
Both mechanically and storywise.
I'm also getting some Sunless Sea vibes. But it's not as dreary as that.
I played the demo of that and it was excellent. The game is getting a bit of press down here in NZ because it was made by Kiwis (the human kind, not the kind with beaks or the kind that you eat).
Def on my to-get list.

Still playing RDR2. I thought it was finished but apparently not.

They had this great idea of forcing the player to play another role after the death of the first.

For the record, I hated the last part with Arthur. It's a big chunk of gameplay during which it's impossible to save, and the last "big boss" fist fight is way too long and entirely pointless. Punching the same keys like a maniac for so long removed me from the story immersion and ruined the conclusion of the game.

Still playing RDR2. I thought it was finished but apparently not.

They had this great idea of forcing the player to play another role after the death of the first.

For the record, I hated the last part with Arthur. It's a big chunk of gameplay during which it's impossible to save, and the last "big boss" fist fight is way too long and entirely pointless. Punching the same keys like a maniac for so long removed me from the story immersion and ruined the conclusion of the game.
There's quite a bit more in RDR2, after the conclusion of the main campaign.
I was shocked how long the epilogue is. But I really enjoyed it. All the way to the end.

I also felt a bit trained with the long fight up until Arthur dies. But I did enjoy his dying words and the final frame, as he turns towards the sunset (in the good ending).

There's quite a bit more in RDR2, after the conclusion of the main campaign.
I was shocked how long the epilogue is. But I really enjoyed it. All the way to the end.
I'm divided but that's mostly OK. The extra bit of freedom and the fresh perspective are enjoyable, at least. I also like the sequences where you can teach John's son to work, ride and drive, it's nice. But I've never enjoyed switching character for some reason, which is probably not the case for everyone. I don't like to see my earned status set back, either. Thankfully not everything is lost, but it feels odd anyway.

A story about criminals should not have a happy ending!

I am fed up with all the world saving ploys and found the RDR2 ending perfect for the theme. It's an over-the-top interactive western movie after all.

A story about criminals should not have a happy ending!

I am fed up with all the world saving ploys and found the RDR2 ending perfect for the theme. It's an over-the-top interactive western movie after all.
I'm not really bothered by a bad ending, but knowing it and being progressively crippled demotivates me.

Agreed about the world-saving and suddenly-revealed-hero stories. :D

Back
Top Bottom