What is your current favorite TV show?

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist
Thought about making this a bowl, but far too many options!

For me, I'd have to go with Mad Men, followed closely by V. I just hope Mad Men comes back for another season!

Quit watching "regular" TV back during the writers' strike and never actually made it back. I did pick up the first season of Fringe on dvd (found it on clearance, and had seen enough commercials to be curious) and that series is still running, so I guess that'd have to be my vote.

Outside of that, I followed Lost and 24 until the strike, but never came back and didn't miss them as much as I expected. Might get dvds of Lost if they ever get cheap. The last show I really got excited about was Threshold, but that died several years ago after 1 season.

Loved Lost, but they really jumped the shark at a few points. By the end I was watching to see what happened to the characters and didn't care about the story at all (Similar to the end of Battlestar Galactica). I watched the first 3 seasons of 24, but I lost interest after that.

Ooookay… let me think for a moment… *scratches head*

Okay.
Third place: NCIS.
Why?
I mean, come on… the characters! My favorite is [nah, not telling this, but still].
Second place: Boston Legal.
Why?
Two words: Denny Crane.
First place: Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
Why?
Caters to more than one of my fetishes ;) . The deleted scene (from Season 3, Episode 2) alone made my blood pressure rise to something like 350/200 ^^.

I like Clone Wars. I sort of have to detach it from the movies though.

Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead, both of which are AMC series, and both are between seasons right now. :-/

Also a big fan of South Park.

The Simpsons...... no doubt. Even if the new episodes is nothing compared to the old ones.

Boston legal is no longer on unfortunately, but the new show by its creator DEK Harry's Law is very good. Chuck has always been a hoot, Glee is entertaining and I enjoy The Mentalist as its star is an Aussie. However, for sheer excellence it's hard to go past Burn Notice.

I'm a big fan of "V". The only other show I watch is "The Event" but its not as good as "V".

There is a show coming out this summer from TNT that looks interesting to me called "Falling Skies". Its about an Alien invasion of Earth kinda like V but in this one the Aliens don't even pretend to be friendly.

I haven't seen anything exciting since Battlestar Galactica and Lost, which both suffered from dud endings. Instead I've entertained myself with 80s crime by P.D. James.

On regular TV, almost all I watch are comedies — Daily Show, The Office, Parks & Rec, Big Bang, 30 Rock, Colbert, etc. I can't remember the last dramatic series I really followed.

I haven't seen anything exciting since Battlestar Galactica and Lost, which both suffered from dud endings.

Yeah, BSG definitely ended on a lame note.

It was an incredible show during the first 2 seasons, one of the best sci-fi shows of all time imo. Seasons 3&4 were not nearly as good though, and the final episode left a lot to be desired.

Supernatural, probably. Love me some Supernatural. Fringe is a close second with Nikita barely trailing at 3rd. A lot of decent stuff on right now, too bad most of it is veering towards cancellation.

None, at the moment.

Most modern TV-shows are about selling as many episodes as possible, meaning they need to make a very big impression immediately. Sadly, the way most shows seem to try and do that is through some edgy gimmick coupled with a ton of extremely implausible scenarios or situations.

Much like the issues in the gaming industry, very few shows have the courage to build plausible characters in a slowly evolving storyline. Even fewer dare do something original that isn't over the top.

Even the better ones are poor imitations of something from the past. Like House - which is an inferior Sherlock Holmes with exactly the same structure. 24 was one ridiculous situation after the other, and LOST was literally nothing stretched out indefinitely.

My last favorite show was In Treatment, and before that - The Wire and Rome.

I'm a big fan of "V". The only other show I watch is "The Event" but its not as good as "V".

There is a show coming out this summer from TNT that looks interesting to me called "Falling Skies". Its about an Alien invasion of Earth kinda like V but in this one the Aliens don't even pretend to be friendly.

Falling Skies does look good and it has some big name talent behind it, so I don't think it will be done poorly.

I haven't seen anything exciting since Battlestar Galactica and Lost, which both suffered from dud endings. Instead I've entertained myself with 80s crime by P.D. James.

Yeah, BSG definitely ended on a lame note.

It was an incredible show during the first 2 seasons, one of the best sci-fi shows of all time imo. Seasons 3&4 were not nearly as good though, and the final episode left a lot to be desired.

I both hated and loved the final episode and for that, I thought it was brilliant. I certainly can see the faults in it, but the way they ended it, with them rejecting modern life I thought was perfect (and also was a nod back to the original series description of the exodus from Kobol). At the same time, it made me really sad that This Was It. There would be no more (well no more going forward in the series at least). I also didn't like how they tied up some of the storylines that were still lingering, but it didn't bother me too much.

None, at the moment.

Most modern TV-shows are about selling as many episodes as possible, meaning they need to make a very big impression immediately. Sadly, the way most shows seem to try and do that is through some edgy gimmick coupled with a ton of extremely implausible scenarios or situations.

Much like the issues in the gaming industry, very few shows have the courage to build plausible characters in a slowly evolving storyline. Even fewer dare do something original that isn't over the top.

Yeah, that is definitely a problem in the industry. It completely killed Rubicon which had developed into a great show, but started so slowly it lost its audience real quick.

Even the better ones are poor imitations of something from the past. Like House - which is an inferior Sherlock Holmes with exactly the same structure. 24 was one ridiculous situation after the other, and LOST was literally nothing stretched out indefinitely.

My last favorite show was In Treatment, and before that - The Wire and Rome.

24 got on my nerves because after the first season, you knew that whatever was happening for the first 12 episodes was completely pointless. As soon as they resolved that part, it turned out there was something completely different going on.

Lost had great potential, but after Abrams left, it really lost its way (no pun intended). I still thought the charactere development was good, but it the story really lost its luster after a few seasons. Loved Rome and just started watching the wire.

I'm starting to wonder how V is going to do.

In last nights episode, they now have Hobbs being a pawn of the V's. Sure they did put the seeds of it in a few episodes back, but come one. We already had one member of the cell get manipulated by them, this is a bit too much. Hopefully they drop that PDQ.

"Neues aus der Anstalt", which is basically political Kabarett.

A couple of posters have hinted at what I see being a big problem with TV today. In the past, a show was given the opportunity to improve over time and build an audience. Now, if it rates poorly early on, it's cancelled quickly. I've watched a few shows which began slowly, but which are now getting MUCH better. Unfortunately, it looks too late for some, eg The Cape!!

*Raises a Glass in the Memory of Firefly*

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Firefly

That would be my favorite Series.

Edit:

oh, current tv-show ? that would be Leschs Kosmos, a show were this Guy here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Lesch
is talking about basically everything, from the big bang to ski flying.

Nothing else interesting to see in german television at all…
(Neues aus der Anstalt without Georg Schramm is pretty boring IMO, this guy really put the anger into political Kabarett - while the new guy is at least from Franconia he really can't replace Schramm…)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom