What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I see. I guess I must be stupid for enjoying the movie then. :rolleyes:

I think a game, a series or a movie should be reviewed for what it is and not in the absolute. In this case this an action movie so one should not expect a deep psychological development, though in its limited time it does show a few tensions and addresses real ego issues that are known to be the biggest problem when teaching pilots.

I think a game, a series or a movie should be reviewed for what it is and not in the absolute. In this case this an action movie so one should not expect a deep psychological development, though in its limited time it does show a few tensions and addresses real ego issues that are known to be the biggest problem when teaching pilots.
No reason to think you're stupid for enjoying something some others don't. It always annoys me when people try to make out someone is stupid for enjoying what they don't. Clearly a lot of folks do like it, and the new one seemed very well-received.

It just always pretty much left me cold. I remember seeing it as a young kid, and thinking, 'meh', compared to the other movies I loved at that time. Not that I'm expecting it to be Chekhov, just didn't find it engaging. I thought Scott made some much more fun popcorn blockbusters.

Last edited:
Yeah, once you really see the "jazz hands" alien that kills Dallas, you can't unsee it. That's the only scene that looks that dorky to me. The scene with Lambert and Parker is obvious wire work, of course, but I think overall it still works. And the scene with Brett is as terrifying as the day the movie was made.
Yeah, that was hilarious. It was like the xenomorph wanted to give Dallas a big hug. :D

We also saw Aliens, and while it's nice overall and still looks good, effects-wise, I realize it has almost no tension for me anymore. And to think this was the first movie I had serious nightmares as a kid.

But compared with the game Alien: Isolation, the movie doesn't even stand a chance in terms of tension and fright. It's a whole other ball game. But it's still a solid sci-fi movie.

Also, the end fight against the Queen was kind of ridiculous. Especially when the Queen takes the elevator up to get at Ripley and Newt. I completely forgot about that. But still fun, even with these quirks.

Also, the end fight against the Queen was kind of ridiculous. Especially when the Queen takes the elevator up to get at Ripley and Newt. I completely forgot about that. But still fun, even with these quirks.
What is wrong with the Queen using the elevator? The Alien is highly cunning and resourceful. They can observe human behaviour and understand what it means and this was demonstrated in all of the Alien movies. I don't think it is far fetched that the queen could of figured out a simple mechnism like a button.

I enjoyed it as well. I think it did a great job at doing exactly what it set out to do. It is supposed to be cheesy. It is supposed to have simple characters. It's not supposed to have any great meaning. It shows the good guys winning against an undefined enemy. There is no grey - the bad guys are just bad. The only political idealogy is in the movie is the easy to understand Patroitism. It's meant to tap into your inner desire to win and see shit get blown up. It's pretty basic really and it is a tried and true formula. I'm not even American and it resonated with me - sometimes I don't mind seeing the bad guy just get blown up without any rationale!

rewatched the hulk (2003), it was pretty damn good and unique in it's style, trying to convey the old comic books, and also a dark more dramatic. i think it was more of the artistic side of the marvel filmscape. which i really like. the later versions are much more cartoonish and less believable than the human side we see on banner.

I don't know why you'd be stupid for having different preferences? You must explain that one :)

I wouldn't want to set down rules for how a movie should be reviewed - as I think there are more valid ways than one.

Personally, I don't really know what Top Gun (either of them) are supposed to be.

That's part of the problem, because they don't come off as specifically cheesy or specifically serious to me. They seem to be a strange hybrid of the genuine dreams of young men and all they aspire to be - and then mixed with both humor and attempts at tension and conflict.

Problem is that I need to be able to believe in the characters and the premise before I can invest in the serious stuff. If it's not serious, that's cool - but why then present these moments in a serious way? I get confused.

They have moments that really seem like they're meant to be felt - like, say, the death of Goose in the original (I hope that's not a spoiler for such an old film).

I guess I never understood why something that's cheesy is so obviously going for tender or emotional moments like that. Even if I understood that, I don't think it would excuse terrible writing or bland actors and characters.

Maybe it's a weakness of mine that I can't change my emotional investment from moment to moment.

I have the very same problem with modern superhero movies - many of which are full of supposedly very high stakes indeed, and no shortage of emotional beats in-between the endless Whedon-style quips.

I tend to prefer films that are much more consistent in tone. I don't mind cheese at all - if a movie stays consistent for the most part.

For instance, one of my favorite movies of the 80s is The Last Dragon - and you'd be hard pressed to find a more cheesy movie than that one.

Does it have tender moments? Yes - but it successfully communicates that it's never deeper than the movie as a whole. At least it does so in a way that works for me.

That's where our own subjective notions and nuances come into play.

I fail to see how that makes us stupid or smart - or anything of the sort.

To me, there's no inherent value that I can determine from having preferences.

I mean, it's sort of inescapably so - so why would that be better or worse from one person to the next? I never quite understood that.

rewatched the hulk (2003), it was pretty damn good and unique in it's style, trying to convey the old comic books, and also a dark more dramatic. i think it was more of the artistic side of the marvel filmscape. which i really like. the later versions are much more cartoonish and less believable than the human side we see on banner.
Agreed. It's one of the few superhero movies that I genuinely really like.

It seems to understand the kind of exaggerated emotional energy that such a thing can bring to the table - without sacrificing the believable human drama or the intensity of the action.

What is wrong with the Queen using the elevator? The Alien is highly cunning and resourceful. They can observe human behaviour and understand what it means and this was demonstrated in all of the Alien movies. I don't think it is far fetched that the queen could of figured out a simple mechnism like a button.
Yeah, and I'm sure the interface of the elevator only has one button and one floor. :D

I'm happy you had no issues with that scene, but they could've easily just found another plot point for her to get up on the platform. Anyway, it's nitpicking. But I found it funny that, that was also the moment my SO said it kind of jumped the shark a bit.

Yeah, and I'm sure the interface of the elevator only has one button and one floor. :D
Did you really have to ruin it for me!! :D

I thought it had a big red button :(

I wouldn't want to set down rules for how a movie should be reviewed - as I think there are more valid ways than one.
There's a theme and limited time to convey it. If a movie is meant to be a 2-hour action movie, you expect breathtaking scenes, and a fast-paced story, more than careful character building, long and deep discussions, and emotional scenes. If the movie try to do both and ends up with half action scenes and half static scenes, it won't feel as exciting and people will be confused or bored, unless it's a very long movie or mini-series that can afford that. The same goes with a psychological movie; if it is drowned in action scenes, people will find it superficial.

So I think that if you compare a product to the wrong expectations, it's not relevant because you are looking for elements that were not meant to be there in the first place.

Personally, I don't really know what Top Gun (either of them) are supposed to be.

That's part of the problem, because they don't come off as specifically cheesy or specifically serious to me. They seem to be a strange hybrid of the genuine dreams of young men and all they aspire to be - and then mixed with both humor and attempts at tension and conflict.
I see them as a bunch of people who want to be the best (and often think they are) but wish to appear cool at the same time. So there's some part of trying to ridicule direct competitors while not antagonizing admirers, which makes for awkward humour outbursts - something not uncommon in any community. When they're not in a group, they tend to be more natural and relaxed.

So I didn't see any ambiguity, but I tend not to analyze it too much in that context because the focus is indeed not on complex characters. It's certainly not perfect in that regard but there's so little time allocated on relationships that it leaves a good margin for imagination.

There's a theme and limited time to convey it. If a movie is meant to be a 2-hour action movie, you expect breathtaking scenes, and a fast-paced story, more than careful character building, long and deep discussions, and emotional scenes. If the movie try to do both and ends up with half action scenes and half static scenes, it won't feel as exciting and people will be confused or bored, unless it's a very long movie or mini-series that can afford that. The same goes with a psychological movie; if it is drowned in action scenes, people will find it superficial.

I don't quite get the "you expect" statement. Are you telling me you have the authority to determine what people expect? I hope we can agree that you can only really know what you - yourself - expect, right?

You can try to guess what other people expect, but I'm pretty confident in saying that will be very different from person to person.

As for me, personally, I try not to expect in general. Of course, I will fail in that - and especially when something is hyped up to a significant degree, and I'm aware of the hype.

But I don't go into a movie thinking it needs to do certain specific things before I'll be happy with it.

I think you could say I'm more of a reactive movie-watcher in that way.

I respond to what the movie is doing in a dynamic way - and I try to immerse myself as much as possible.

Some things tend to aid my immersion - and some things tend to ruin it.

If Top Gun had successfully communicated to me that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously - and that I was to ignore poor character building and not invest in the characters themselves on any meaningful level - that might have worked.

Though, I have to say, I tend to dislike movies of all kinds if they don't have at least a few interesting or compelling characters in them. That's probably why I tend to be hard on certain movies that are otherwise quite popular, including - say - the recent Prey or something like Avatar.

I can't really enjoy a spectacle movie if I'm not invested in the characters, sadly.

So I think that if you compare a product to the wrong expectations, it's not relevant because you are looking for elements that were not meant to be there in the first place.
I personally think it's unfortunate when a movie, or any kind of entertainment, requires a specific set of expectations to provide what it's trying to provide.

That, to me, is sort of like saying to people "you're not playing the game right, so of course you're not enjoying it". Like they need to adapt and change themselves before they understand how great something is.

To me, that's like discounting the individual and the preferences of the individual - like they're not relevant or reasonable.

So, I strongly disagree with you about relevance and I think it's unreasonable to require the "right expectations" to accept a differing opinion as valid.

It feels like you're saying that an opinion is only relevant or valid - if the holder of it first accepts your perception of what the movie was trying to do - and then disliked it with the "right" expectations.

I hope and sort of suspect I'm wrong about that - as that would make you incredibly arrogant :)

But that's what it sounds like.
I see them as a bunch of people who want to be the best (and often think they are) but wish to appear cool at the same time. So there's some part of trying to ridicule direct competitors while not antagonizing admirers, which makes for awkward humour outbursts - something not uncommon in any community. When they're not in a group, they tend to be more natural and relaxed.

So I didn't see any ambiguity, but I tend not to analyze it too much in that context because the focus is indeed not on complex characters. It's certainly not perfect in that regard but there's so little time allocated on relationships that it leaves a good margin for imagination.
I didn't see any ambiguity about the characters themselves, I was talking about the movies as a whole and the tone they seem to be going for.

In an effort not to hijack the thread any further - and go even more in circles about why we enjoy or don't enjoy a movie, I'll sum up and then leave it alone:

I don't care for Top Gun and I think Maverick is a pretty bad movie. I recognize that if you don't require/prefer/want/expect interesting characters, a consistent tone or a plausible premise - it's probably not a bad action film. It has some very well executed flight sequences, for instance.

I'm certainly cool with people liking both movies - and I don't think any opinion within that context is irrelevant in the slightest.

That's it for me, I think :)

I've never seen Top Gun either. I don't know if it is or not, but I always assumed it was one of those America Fuck Yeah! movies before that was even meme, so never tried it. Most people really liked it though, so I thought I'd give it a try one day, but then never did.

In an effort not to hijack the thread any further - and go even more in circles about why we enjoy or don't enjoy a movie, I'll sum up and then leave it alone:

I don't care for Top Gun and I think Maverick is a pretty bad movie. I recognize that if you don't require/prefer/want/expect interesting characters, a consistent tone or a plausible premise - it's probably not a bad action film. It has some very well executed flight sequences, for instance.

I'm certainly cool with people liking both movies - and I don't think any opinion within that context is irrelevant in the slightest.

That's it for me, I think :)
I happened to see Maverick in IMAX the other day, and it was exactly what I expected entertaining and with cool special effects. I think sometimes that is all people want from a movie. I could not imagine watching it on TV though, which is probably what a smart ( but Scientologist ) Tom Cruise already realized.

There was however one thing, that I already know, but it still made me think, soon all of those people will probably be replaced by AI, it means that there could be zero risk to human life, when performing huge bombings and so on.

Also soon Tom Cruise will be replaced by some star from netflix or HBO, please keep giving us IMAX movies, which are not made for TV streaming.

Being interested by aviation probably helps enjoying it and discovering some references, perhaps I would find it less enjoyable if it was a theme with no particular appeal to me.

There was however one thing, that I already know, but it still made me think, soon all of those people will probably be replaced by AI, it means that there could be zero risk to human life, when performing huge bombings and so on.
We've already seen more of those drones in the Ukraine war, though they're mostly remotely piloted rather than driven by AI. A pure AI-controlled device, like reportedly used by the Turkish army, is not entirely reassuring. They would make it safer for the attacking side but I'm not sure they'd be really safe for the civilians or even allies on the ground.

What will be much more interesting to follow is the replacement of airline pilots by AI. ;)
Also soon Tom Cruise will be replaced by some star from netflix or HBO, please keep giving us IMAX movies, which are not made for TV streaming.
I was sceptical about this role considering his age, but he was doing well. Is there a younger Tom Cruise in the making? I'm not watching many movies so I'm not keeping track of that anymore.

Maybe it's not a few Hollywood big stars like before but a number of more moderate stars exclusive to mass media companies?

I happened to see Maverick in IMAX the other day, and it was exactly what I expected entertaining and with cool special effects. I think sometimes that is all people want from a movie. I could not imagine watching it on TV though, which is probably what a smart ( but Scientologist ) Tom Cruise already realized.

I don't think we're anywhere near AI taking over such jobs.

I mean, we can't even get auto-pilot to work in cars - even if Elon is happy to suggest that it's basically done - while raking in millions as people die in crashes because of his deceit.

Anyway, even if AI did take over - I'm afraid lives would still be lost, as it's usually civilian lives that are the most vulnerable during times of war.

Yes, I do think you're right about what people sometimes want. It's sort of like Independence Day - which was also one of those movies that had great special effects and action back in the day. I'd argue that's what most people even seem to prefer, given the success of Disney and its countless franchise movies.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people.

Even as a kid, I was more into Bergman than action films. I just never managed to invest myself in the superficial spectacle unless I had some kind of emotional investment in the characters.

Again, nothing good or bad about having preferences. I think they're largely beyond our control anyway.

I don't think we're anywhere near AI taking over such jobs.

I mean, we can't even get auto-pilot to work in cars - even if Elon is happy to suggest that it's basically done - while raking in millions as people die in crashes because of his deceit.

Anyway, even if AI did take over - I'm afraid lives would still be lost, as it's usually civilian lives that are the most vulnerable during times of war.

Yes, I do think you're right about what people sometimes want. It's sort of like Independence Day - which was also one of those movies that had great special effects and action back in the day. I'd argue that's what most people even seem to prefer, given the success of Disney and its countless franchise movies.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people.

Even as a kid, I was more into Bergman than action films. I just never managed to invest myself in the superficial spectacle unless I had some kind of emotional investment in the characters.

Again, nothing good or bad about having preferences. I think they're largely beyond our control anyway.
Ooo, don't get me wrong, I also prefer Bergman to action films, and I especially dislike Disney super hero movies or there new junk star wars movies, even if they have cool special effects. I do love the dark knight, though, even if I normally don't like super hero movies, I Think that is one of the best movies made.

As for self-driving cars, it is already a reality in US and China, and they have fewer accidents then cars driven by humans so far. But in war it is very different, that is the points civilians can easily die, as well as many humans on the defending side, but without human loss to the attacking side. That is the danger I see here. Like the US drone bombings, they have zero risk of losing any humans on the US side, but on the other hand the drones sometimes hits civilians, which a human might not have done.

Now they are also starting up fully driver less robot taxis: https://www.business-standard.com/a...erless-robotaxis-in-china-122080800876_1.html

Being interested by aviation probably helps enjoying it and discovering some references, perhaps I would find it less enjoyable if it was a theme with no particular appeal to me.

We've already seen more of those drones in the Ukraine war, though they're mostly remotely piloted rather than driven by AI. A pure AI-controlled device, like reportedly used by the Turkish army, is not entirely reassuring. They would make it safer for the attacking side but I'm not sure they'd be really safe for the civilians or even allies on the ground.

What will be much more interesting to follow is the replacement of airline pilots by AI. ;)

I was sceptical about this role considering his age, but he was doing well. Is there a younger Tom Cruise in the making? I'm not watching many movies so I'm not keeping track of that anymore.

Maybe it's not a few Hollywood big stars like before but a number of more moderate stars exclusive to mass media companies?
Tom Cruise is in remarkable shape for his age, I have to say :D

I think that is the point, there is no new Tom Cruise in the making as far as I know, and he might very well be the last movie super star!

saw "dont look up" not a typical netflix, but really reminds me of alot of crisis stuff going in the world(iran going nuclear for example, and everyone calm about it)

Back
Top Bottom