What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

This weekend we saw Sisu. I was eagerly awaiting this one, hyped from the trailer. I was really disappointed.
Sorry to hear that. I posted the trailer for Sisu here a few weeks ago and thought it looked entertaining. I might have to reconsider paying to see it. What in particular did you find disappointing?

I saw Bullet Train. It was ok. Pretty decent mindless entertainment. I liked the "twins" most, I think. Brad Pitt was also ok.
But I feel the main idea was very derivative of other such action movies. It was more style over substance. And I feel I'm spending too much time talking about it. It was alright.

Sorry to hear that. I posted the trailer for Sisu here a few weeks ago and thought it looked entertaining. I might have to reconsider paying to see it. What in particular did you find disappointing?
I've been waiting for it for a while. I was hoping for something like "Inglorious Bastards," so it's probably just what I expected versus what it was going for. The trailer is pretty accurate. You might enjoy it. It just wasn't for me. Keep in mind I don't really like the John Wick movies either, so my taste is suspect.

Movie ruining spoilers
The protagonist has one line of dialogue, and it the movie is about one get almost dying over and over, with more silliness and dues ex machinas and plot armor done terribly, over and over, and ruins the immersion.

I've been waiting for it for a while. I was hoping for something like "Inglorious Bastards," so it's probably just what I expected versus what it was going for. The trailer is pretty accurate. You might enjoy it. It just wasn't for me. Keep in mind I don't really like the John Wick movies either, so my taste is suspect.
Ah ok. I thought it was obvious from the trailer that it was probably more like John Wick than Inglorious Bastards.

I saw a few movies.

One that was very good. The Menu. Very solid and a nice commentary. Ralph Fiennes is always great.
Renfield was fun enough and was also pretty smart for what it was. I watched it through.
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor among Thieves. I watched around half of it. Pretty fun also, and it was pretty surreal to hear all the locations in Faerun name-dropped.

On the commentary for Dario Argento's Phenomena (1985) : "... a monkey [chimp] going ape-shit over a kite. How often do you see that?". Cut to Jordan Peele's Nope (2022).

We saw Guardians of the Galaxy 3 on Friday night. I really enjoyed it, not so much my girl. Equally as good and fun as the new D&D movie or Guardians 2, but missing a certain spice the first movie in the series had. One great fight scene and a couple other pretty good ones.

Last night after watching some telly I felt like watching a film that I knew I'd enjoy, so I fired up the Killing, a Kubrick film that I first saw as a youth, and it's still well worth watching these days. This planned heist is layered out with precision, and then just about everything that could go wrong.....well, you just have to watch it. A damn masterpiece.

I watched D&D: Honor Among Thieves. It was fun, but it's a silly movie.
Saw it last night. Silly is an understatement. It's like they tried to make a D&D comedy. I managed to finish it, but I was glad when it was over.

it was pretty surreal to hear all the locations in Faerun name-dropped.
That was the only thing I thought was cool. Well, that and the gelatinous cube.

I saw John Wick Chapter 4. It was good, but I'd say its a little overrated right now. I don't think it was the best one in the series, for example. But its the highest rated one in the series on Internet movie database at this time (at IMDB rating 8.2!). While there are some good action scenes, they do way too many of them, and the movie is much too long, at almost three hours.

Most of that time is non-stop action scenes. Too much of a good thing, like eating too much candy, ain't so good. But that said, there is some good story stuff going on too, and one actor and his performance was really good in the movie, I thought. Even made me a bit emotional, to be honest. It's a character of a villain, but one who still has a conscience and a sense of honor. Shades of gray. I like that type of thing, and its in this movie, and very well done. (the character's name is Caine, he is the main competition to John Wick's character in terms of fighting skills in this storyline and movie)

We went to see the Ben Affleck Hypnotic movie but ended up watching, "Are you there, God? It's Margaret." I didn't want to see this, and thought it looked awful, but the Hypnotic movie didn't look too good either, so it didn't matter much to me. I'm just happy I have a girl that counts me taking her to the movies as quality time together. Anyways, it was surprisingly good. Not good compared to actual good movies I'm excited to see. But good for a coming-of-age girlhood movie. I laughed a bunch, I never got bored, and enjoyed it throughout. My taste is becoming more and more suspect as I get older.

I watched Malignant last night. I thought it started out good, but overall it was a mixed bag at best. It ranged from mildly interesting to laughably dumb at times.

I was shocked by how low-budget it seems. With all the movies he has under his belt, I expected better production values from James Wan.

I watched Malignant last night. I thought it started out good, but overall it was a mixed bag at best. It ranged from mildly interesting to laughably dumb at times.
Yeah, "mixed bag" and "silly" are about right. It was meant to be stylishly OTT, like the horror/giallos of Dario Argento, but it overdoes it a bit.
The action sequence in the jail is pretty awesome, though.

I watched Let Him Go over the past two nights, with Diane Lane and Costner in the lead roles. It was ok, with those actors I was expecting it to be a bit better than it was, honestly. I will say seeing Jeff Donovan as a bad guy/thug was a nice surprise.

The Card Counter. Surprisingly, found this on hbomax.
MV5BNTMyNzQ4MmUtMmJiYy00YjlmLWJiMzktNjc1MGNlMzBjYjhiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDA4NzMyOA@@._V1_.jpg

I enjoyed it. Very solid movie. Loved the mood of it. And Oscar Isaac is always great.
And I just realized the same dude directed First Reformed. That was another very good one.

Back
Top Bottom