What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I only watched Knock at the Cabin until the 4 knock on the door, and spend the next 5 minutes pleading to be let in. That was so weird, that it put me off.

I recommend you watch The Whale instead, which turned out very solid, aside from maybe the ending which I'm not sure I liked. I had a more negative reaction initially, on the ending, but resaw the whole thing and don't feel as negative towards it.
But it's definitely an interesting film, and Brendan Frazer really knocked it out of the park with his performance.

I recommend you watch The Whale instead, which turned out very solid, aside from maybe the ending which I'm not sure I liked. I had a more negative reaction initially, on the ending, but resaw the whole thing and don't feel as negative towards it.
But it's definitely an interesting film, and Brendan Frazer really knocked it out of the park with his performance.
I actually tried watching that and turned it off within 10 minutes. I wasn't in the right mood I guess, and seeing him like that was just...gross.

Against my better judgment, I watched Knock at the Cabin last night.

Mark it down as Shyamalan's latest uninspired turd. I wish I could have that hour and 40 minutes of my life back.

If you want a comparison, it reminded me of The Happening. There's no point to it, and I kept waiting for some kind of twist or "wtf?" moment that never came.

I did like Dave Bautista's character though. He played the part well, and I think he's a better actor than people realize.
Oh dear. The omens weren't promising.

Yes, I like Dave, and enjoyed his performance as Drax - lovely dry deadpan, saying terrible things with a strange innocence. I suspect he could surprise given the right opportunities.

A Cure for Wellness.

MV5BMTg5Njg1MzIwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDU1NjczMDI@._V1_.jpg

I've seen this a couple of times, and I keep forgetting the main plot. But I always enjoy rediscovering it.
It's a pretty decent lovecraftian story. I haven't finished it this time, but I intend to. I like the atmosphere.

This one has been fascinating me.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj6gQdEyGXI

I hope it won't be a let-down.

Last edited:
The Death of Dick Long.
MV5BOTQ3ZjZhZjAtNWRkNy00NWQ3LWJlMDgtMTExYmY5NTc0MWY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

This was a weird one. I liked it, but what was weird was that I could've sworn I had seen it in the past.
Since a lot of scenes felt familiar. But a lot of them I just did not remember at all. I'm usually very good with remember precisely whether I saw something or not.
I think I might be losing the sharpness of my memory.

I had the exact same problem watching Dark Waters (2019) the other day.

I was sure I'd seen it before one minute, then not so sure the next, all the way through it.

I got around to watching Kong vs Godzilla last night, the flick from about two years ago, I enjoyed it more than I though I might. While it lagged in some spots the story overall was pretty decent.

As I'm a fan of the Luther telly show, I watched the new film last night, Luther: Fallen Sun. While it started off strong, I thought maybe around the mid-point the quality really dropped off, and never quite recovered. And the ending, well, I wasn't sure if that's eluding to a significant change in the show or if it's all said and done. I can easily see myself re-watching the telly episodes yet I doubt I would ever revisit this movie.

Smile%20SMILE_FP_02.jpg

Saw "Smile" yesterday on my exercise bike. The horror movie genre is difficult. I find most movies not particularly scary, (horror light). Others rely too much on jump scares. I prefer movies relying mostly on slowly increasing levels of dread.

I liked this one. There is something about that smile ... reminds me a bit of how the wife smiles at me when pondering revenge, but admittedly this one is a bit more scary. The movie has it's jump scares, but what I really liked is the slowly increasing breakdown of the mind of the main protagonist (BTW, she's not the one smiling above). The actress (daughter of Kevin Bacon with a Bacon number of 1) did a very good job.

The only thing that slightly disappointed me was the ending and some of the person to person relations, but all in all, a good horror movie, which no doubt contributed to my heart rate while training.

pibbuR who at the moment does not smile, but may do so (in a very pleasant way) later.

Last edited:
The only thing that slightly disappointed me was the ending and some of the person to person relations, but all in all, a good horror movie, which no doubt contributed to my heart rate while training.
I was disappointed in the ending, too. The CGI monster stuff was a mis-step. The quiet creepiness (with occasional jumps!) of the rest of the movie was much more effective.

I finally got around to seeing Cocaine Bear, and I was disappointed. I expected that it was probably going to be pretty dumb, but I figured I'd at least get a few laughs out of it. I didn't. It was just one silly (and poorly acted) scene after another. The humor was there, but it wasn't nearly good enough to overcome how mediocre the movie is. It's a shame that this was Ray Liotta's last film.

It's also a perfect example of how the right trailer can create a lot of hype for something that doesn't deserve it.

5/10

I didn't like Smile. It's jump scare: the movie. Not scary. Acting was iffy. It Follows did a similar concept 10x better.

The smile in the picture is scary, but
there are very few scenes like that. The only one that I found the least bit creepy was the scene with her therapist. The (ex)boyfriend scene could have been so much better, it was practically outright botched.

I didn't like Smile. It's jump scare: the movie. Not scary. Acting was iffy. It Follows did a similar concept 10x better.

The smile in the picture is scary, but
there are very few scenes like that. The only one that I found the least bit creepy was the scene with her therapist. The (ex)boyfriend scene could have been so much better, it was practically outright botched.
Interesting. I can agree that many actors weren't particularly interesting, but to me ms Bacon did an excellent job. And watching her mind gradually dissolve was what made the film for me. And the smiles of course.

pibbuR who thinks we should make a couple of favourite horror movies posts, here or in a separate thread.

Last edited:
The lead was pretty good, but I thought much the same about some of the other acting in my review here: https://rpgwatch.com/forum/threads/...the-catch-all-film-thread.236/post-1061701420

(Yeah, It Follows was good stuff)
I just read your mini-reviews. I loved Barbarian. One of my favorite horror movies of the past few years. I found it genuinely surprising at times, which is a rarity.

I also enjoyed Hellraiser, which I just watched 2-3 weeks ago. More than I expected to. Some people have told me they didn't care for it because "it didn't do anything new", but I don't see that as a problem. Doing something new is what gets us Pinhead in space. I thought it was a very effective telling of a quintessentially Hellraiser-esque story (I loved how the main villain's punishment was depicted, for example).

Back
Top Bottom