Witcher 3 - Aims to Be Better Than Skyrim

Everyone/every website is saying TW3 will be 60+ hrs to complete. Because of this I think I'll start the franchise by playing TW3 first (already preordered)... in fact, I've started played TW1, but man.... those combat controls.... made me give up on that game - I was playing it with keyboard/mouse combo, wasn't using X360 controller.

So...they aim to be better then skyrim, which was released how many years ago? I guess they should.

What does age have to do with it? Many of us are still waiting for an action-RPG that surpasses the first 2 Gothic games. Perhaps TW3 will be that game, though I'm not holding my breath.

I really don't get why people keep bringing up Skyrim. The Witcher games are more akin to titles like Gothic, Risen, Two Worlds, etc. The only difference is that this one is a lot bigger.

...I've started played TW1, but man…. those combat controls…. made me give up on that game - I was playing it with keyboard/mouse combo, wasn't using X360 controller.
Does TW1 even support the controller?? It was made for PC and uses a very modified version of the engine they used for Neverwinter Nights 2, if I remember right.

If you're at that wolf fight then don't despair. It's definitely a difficulty spike and possibly the hardest battle in the entire game.

Everyone/every website is saying TW3 will be 60+ hrs to complete. Because of this I think I'll start the franchise by playing TW3 first (already preordered)… in fact, I've started played TW1, but man…. those combat controls…. made me give up on that game - I was playing it with keyboard/mouse combo, wasn't using X360 controller.

The combat controls in both Witcher gamers are great, just the combat isn't that easy at times. Though a lot easier than combat in Risen

Who is saying the "Witcher 3 - Aims to Be Better Than Skyrim" ?

Random people that are writing articles about the game. I do recall reading CD Prodjekt Red saying it was going to be bigger than Skyrim. Though I don't remember seeing anything from the team saying it was going to be better.

I am sure their aim is to make the best game possible, though that doesn't mean it will be a game that everyone will like. Never mind a game that ever RPG gamer will like.

There are way to many people talking about this game. I just want to play it SICK of hearing about.

Everyone/every website is saying TW3 will be 60+ hrs to complete. Because of this I think I'll start the franchise by playing TW3 first (already preordered)… in fact, I've started played TW1, but man…. those combat controls…. made me give up on that game - I was playing it with keyboard/mouse combo, wasn't using X360 controller.
What is wrong with combat controls? You click each time cursor shows an flame arrow and you can switch to new enemies just by clicking on them. The combat in TW1 was much better than console actiony bullshit of TW2. TW1 had proper Diablo action combat.

TW1 had Diablo action combat? Haha, that's a joke.

It had Dragon's Lair combat - as in click when the game tells you to click and watch your character perform an elaborate animation. One of the worst combat systems I've ever tried in an otherwise serious RPG.

Thankfully, CDPR realised their mistake and made TW2 combat much better, and TW3 looks better still.

TW1 had Diablo action combat? Haha, that's a joke.

It had Dragon's Lair combat - as in click when the game tells you to click and watch your character perform an elaborate animation. One of the worst combat systems I've ever tried in an otherwise serious RPG.

Thankfully, CDPR realised their mistake and made TW2 combat much better, and TW3 looks better still.
It had diablo inspired combat but one attack animation took longer than in diablo. And you had more control than in TW2. I could not finish TW2 because of the terrible combat system. I just don't enjoy that at all.

So…they aim to be better then skyrim, which was released how many years ago? I guess they should.

I think you should change your sig and say "I don't like games made by EU devs" or something similar and be done with it :D

It had diablo inspired combat but one attack animation took longer than in diablo. And you had more control than in TW2. I could not finish TW2 because of the terrible combat system. I just don't enjoy that at all.

I very much doubt Diablo was an inspiration, as it played nothing like it at all.

As for TW2 - some people liked the combat and some didn't. Personally, I felt much more free and "in control" than I did in TW1 - where I basically clicked my left mouse button when the game told me to, and that's it.

It's all good, though :)

Personally, I felt much more free and "in control" than I did in TW1 - where I basically clicked my left mouse button when the game told me to, and that's it.
I did way more than that. I repositioned, used signs and potions and changed styles due to situations. Maybe you should have played on higher difficulty?

I did way more than that. I repositioned, used signs and potions and changed styles due to situations. Maybe you should have played on higher difficulty?

I played on Hard - which was the hardest level.

You do that in W2 as well. I'm talking about the system in W1 versus the system in W2 - which means I'm talking about the differences, not the similarities.

The game was a pushover in almost every fight - because the signs actually worked in Boss fights, which I liked - though they probably should have tuned the balance during specific fights more. I didn't mind, though, because the combat was awful.

But for the actual fighting, it was clicking the left mouse button in rigid patterns. I don't remember repositioning much at all - as my guy would just leap over enemies as needed. The game often felt like it was playing itself during combat.

Incredibly dull to me.

To each his own, though.

TW1 definitely has to be played on hard for any sort of challenge. CDP screwed up by making the default difficulty so pathetically easy. The combat still isn't great, but I love pretty much everything else about the game.

I played on Hard - which was the hardest level.

You do that in W2 as well. I'm talking about the system in W1 versus the system in W2 - which means I'm talking about the differences, not the similarities.

The game was a pushover in almost every fight - because the signs actually worked in Boss fights, which I liked - though they probably should have tuned the balance during specific fights more. I didn't mind, though, because the combat was awful.

But for the actual fighting, it was clicking the left mouse button in rigid patterns. I don't remember repositioning much at all - as my guy would just leap over enemies as needed. The game often felt like it was playing itself during combat.

Incredibly dull to me.

To each his own, though.
Well I prefer isometric tactical games, not twitchy dark souls lets roll on the floor half the time combat that TW2 also had.

TW1 was a nice mix for BG and Diablo and it was fun and challenging enough.
I repositioned to move away from groups that would almost surround me so I could get them to follow me in a line and so I could fight them in lesser numbers.

I am also a RTS player so any game that reminds me of that I love. This is why I like diablo clones as they use same camera and similar real time combat, only with more clicking :)

Well I prefer isometric tactical games, not twitchy dark souls lets roll on the floor half the time combat that TW2 also had.

TW1 was a nice mix for BG and Diablo and it was fun and challenging enough.
I repositioned to move away from groups that would almost surround me so I could get them to follow me in a line and so I could fight them in lesser numbers.

I am also a RTS player so any game that reminds me of that I love. This is why I like diablo clones as they use same camera and similar real time combat, only with more clicking :)

It's ok, we all like different things. I like Diablo and BG as well, though I don't think the actual combat is particularly great in either of those. Diablo has too limited an arsenal during combat (two buttons - and you have to scroll through abilities to set them to respond to mouse click - during hectic battle) and I don't think much of RTwP in BG, because you need to constantly pause and micromanage to feel "in control" - or you just have to rely on weak scripts that will never be as efficient as manual control.

ToEE and Divinity:OS is much more my style in that kind of game.

The best combat I've tried in a Diablo game would be Diablo 3.

As for games like The Witcher - I still see nothing Diablo about it, except for the fact that you use the left mouse button for the primary attack. I much prefer freeform combat where I feel in control, rather than being told when to click. It would almost be better with completely automated combat, for me.

TW2 was great, even if it was too excessive in terms of "rolling around" - I'll give you that. TW3 looks like it has toned that down and made it slightly more deliberate.

Actually, I think Dark Souls has fantastic combat - but that's pretty much all it has that I really like. The only problem is that it's too melee oriented for my tastes.

Witcher 3 is its own game, as is Skyrim. They are different, and I personally don't believe in the whole 'x game is better than y game' mentality. I still think Morrowind is just as good as Skyrim, and a sequel doesn't automatically mean a game will be better.

I did, however, see a lot of Skyrim in the short Witcher 3 videos I've seen. I would have preferred a more Gothic influence, but I'm sure the game will still be fun.

Back
Top Bottom