Witcher 3 - Aims to Be Better Than Skyrim

Does TW1 even support the controller?? It was made for PC and uses a very modified version of the engine they used for Neverwinter Nights 2, if I remember right.

If you're at that wolf fight then don't despair. It's definitely a difficulty spike and possibly the hardest battle in the entire game.

Zloth, I haven't reached this wolf fight you speak of. I gave up very early, after that castle invasion (game's starting place).

The combat controls in both Witcher gamers are great, just the combat isn't that easy at times. Though a lot easier than combat in Risen

Funny, I think the combat is Risen is more intuitive. I am not saying it is easier or harder than Witcher 1.... but to me, it is more intuitive.

I actually liked witcher 1 combat and agree with Dart that it was nothing like Diablo. If it were I wouldn't have played it as I think Diablo is the worst combat style in games and can't understand the popularity of it. That's why the make different games though, everybody likes different stuff.

You could choose between 2 control style though. I always play with K&M so I don't know if the other control scheme is like Diablo. I play the witcher action style. Dodging, rolling, attacking and using signs when appropriate.

My favorite combo is to chain an attack then front flip over the enemies, turn around and hit it with Aard sign, knocking it do the ground and then finish it with a death animation.it feels pretty satisfying and quite fun imo.

I think the problem is that you can just stand there and click and beat the combat as well.so I think a lot of people never try out all the moves because there not need and just stand there clicking and come to the conclusion that the combats boring.

I never had the problem Dart mention with Geralt flipping by himself I always had to control in by double pressing the key in the direction I wanted to flip or roll but maybe we played different control styles.

I never had the problem Dart mention with Geralt flipping by himself I always had to control in by double pressing the key in the direction I wanted to flip or roll but maybe we played different control styles.

You're probably right, it was manually controlled - but I almost never used it. I just remember clicking and waiting for Geralt to "move into position" and execute an animation. Even if the enemies were several feet away, he would do that.

But it doesn't really matter - and I think it's great that some people like it.

I've heard a TON of people loving and hating the combat in both Witchers. Obviously, we all just have different preferences.

Personally, I'm thankful that the developers of these games agree with me, though :)

If you're at that wolf fight then don't despair. It's definitely a difficulty spike and possibly the hardest battle in the entire game.

The Beast?

1. Use the Aard sign
2. *stunned*
3. Watch animation of Geralt chopping its head off

You're probably right, it was manually controlled - but I almost never used it. I just remember clicking and waiting for Geralt to "move into position" and execute an animation. Even if the enemies were several feet away, he would do that.

But it doesn't really matter - and I think it's great that some people like it.

I've heard a TON of people loving and hating the combat in both Witchers. Obviously, we all just have different preferences.

Personally, I'm thankful that the developers of these games agree with me, though :)
I would rather they had both combat styles in TW2 than.

And I don't even remember two options in TW1. I just remember I did most things with a mouse like in action RPGs and RTS games and I liked it.

Combat aside in both Witcher games they were both great games that I found similar in the way the story played out. More choices in the second one and better replay ability(though I did replay both)

Neither one of the games were anything like the games Bethesda put out so I don't see why TW3 would be in any way. Just because TW3 has moved to a open world I don't see how you can compare the two games in which one is better or worst.

Anyways May 19th isn't that far off now, so it most likely is best to find out then if you like the game or not instead of going off the 1,000,000 of articles that seem to be posted daily.

1. Use the Aard sign
2. *stunned*
3. Watch animation of Geralt chopping its head off
IIRC, the stun effect wasn´t guaranteed and wouldn´t fire at all if you haven´t leveled up the sign enough. Regardless, while I think the encounter itself was alright, the setup wasn´t - the rest of the world was locked out by then, retrying the fight required clicking through a relatively extensive dialogue segment and the encounter moved time to midnight which could mess with potions if one hasn´t used foreknowledge and meditated to right before.

===

When it comes the combat in both Witcher games, personally I think neither game got its formula quite right.

I didn´t mind that in the first game the action aspect was more-or-less boiled down to rhythmic formality since I accepted its system to be more grounded in the preparation and general RPG side of things, however due to a fairly linear skill tree and the way signs were spread out through the game the character system didn´t offer enough build options to offset action simplicity.

In comparison, the skill selection in the sequel was more open and featured more unique abilities, but that got quite significantly offset by grounding the combat more in the action side of things which diminished the importance of skills and at the same time, in my opinion, wasn´t particularly engaging to stand on its own AND due to balancing from chapter 2 onwards it pretty much became the same clicking experience it was in the predecessor anyway.

Regardless, since neither game is particularly combat-heavy, few sections aside, I´ve found the combat experience provided in both to be ok/serviceable and certainly not lackluster enough to diminish my enjoyment of the games´ other qualities.
Personally I´ll be surprised if The Witcher 3 delivers a markedly improved experience in this regard and I very likely won´t mind if it doesn´t, unless the combat ends up consuming too much of the overall playtime.

===

As for the article, haven´t read it but I do remember the game´s lead quest designer preferring Fallout: New Vegas and Gothics to Skyrim, as far as open world games go, which gives me hope The Witcher 3 will be different from Skyrim in the ways I think it should be as a Witcher game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom