Witcher 3 Witcher 3 Getting a Free Upgrade

The Witcher 3
Im playing via cloud on a 2080 or 3060, but you can check the steam forums, 90% of the new threads are about the poor performance

I downloaded the update, and for me it runs perfectly fine even on RT Ultra @ 3840x1600 @ 75fps. I do experience a weird hickup every now and then, but the most egregious is that it really takes a toll on my GPU. It's staying at 70-75C at 80% fanspeed.
I disabled RT completely, at it still stays around 70C. Which is shocking to me, since RT is usually the performance hog. It's definite I'm not keeping RT on, it's just not worth it.

But, after walking around White Orchard, I don't think I have the patience for Witcher game right now. It just dawned on me how huge it is, and I suddenly felt demoralized in starting it up.
I'll see if I feel differently later on. I initially thought I'd feel differently, thinking I'd probably want to bail on Dark Souls 2. But I just got a new spark in DS2.

Also, I frikkin hate the new close-up camera. The combat is just not built for that. And having an ultrawide resolution it really feels like I'm controlling Geralt from a 12 foot pole on his right side.
The close camera just isn't made for ultrawide, I think.

Also, I frikkin hate the new close-up camera. The combat is just not built for that. And having an ultrawide resolution it really feels like I'm controlling Geralt from a 12 foot pole on his right side.
The close camera just isn't made for ultrawide, I think.
That's optional though, isn't it?

That's optional though, isn't it?
Yes. Thank god. But I was kind of excited for it. But at least for ultrawide screens it is not nice.
And in combat it's even worse. Since you have to move it a lot more, since you lose a lot of spatial awareness with it being this close.
I even felt a bit dizzy for a second.

That's surprising indeed. Have you tried other options?
Not really. I'm too tired to go option by option and find out what's the issue. Especially, since I'm sure I'll be playing it right away.
Sounds to me like it needs a couple of months to patch, if they can patch it.

It's amazing they released it as they did. First they shoot themselves in the foot with CP2077, and now they do this with W3? Did they even have a reason for rushing this? Not unless they're planning on moving the people that were assigned to this, to other projects. Which would also suggest they're gonna pretty much leave it as is. Which would be disappointing. If they're not gonna move them, and they likely knew the issues (they're not running on alien hardware over there), that begs the question why push it out and not wait until it's perfect.

Before the next-gen update W3 ran like butter, even on my 1080ti. And now, with pretty minimal visual improvements, they're keeping my 3080ti on its knees. Disappointing really.
I wonder what they did with the partial work the company they contracted did initially? Did they just take those changes? Did they start over? Could they take over those changes? Do they have the original people that wrote the REDEngine around?
We shall see how things progress.

It's amazing they released it as they did. First they shoot themselves in the foot with CP2077, and now they do this with W3? Did they even have a reason for rushing this? Not unless they're planning on moving the people that were assigned to this, to other projects. Which would also suggest they're gonna pretty much leave it as is. Which is disappointing. Before the next-gen update W3 ran like butter, even on my 1080ti. And now, with pretty minimal visual improvements, they're keeping my 3080ti on its knees. Disappointing really.
I don't understand it either, it can't be hard for them to gather a few common cards and test the game. I wonder how their next game will be; if they switch engine they may encounter new problems and get into trouble yet again.

Anyway, if it's so bad on a 3080 Ti I won't even bother on a 3070, not now anyway.

Anyway, if it's so bad on a 3080 Ti I won't even bother on a 3070, not now anyway.
As I said, it's bad in the sense that it keep the card at 80-90% load constantly. Not even RDR2 managed that. And it is running at 3840x1600.
In terms of how it runs, it's very smooth. But you shouldn't need a beast to run a 7 year old game, minimally improved graphically.

As I said, it's bad in the sense that it keep the card at 80-90% load constantly. Not even RDR2 managed that. And it is running at 3840x1600.
In terms of how it runs, it's very smooth. But you shouldn't need a beast to run a 7 year old game, minimally improved graphically.
I understand, it's just that I don't like playing games that constantly load the GPU so much and make my PC sound like a jet engine. ;) Not just for an old RPG pseudo-remaster anyway.

How to avoid the Witcher 3 update:

So I was afraid of this, where a "next gen" update would break the game, and especially affect us gamers still using older laptops and gaming computers. But apparently it is also hurting many gamers with good more modern tech in their computers with bad frame rate reports, bugs and glitches, poor performance etc.

If you don't have a cutting edge computer to take advantage of the update, and want to hang onto your classic Witcher 3 version that works, then you can avoid the update entirely, or revert back to the classic version by doing the exact same process.

I didn't update the game on purpose, and was able to use this process so I never had to update. But it should work just as well to revert an updated Witcher game back to "classic" version.

Go to Witcher 3 in steam library, right click the title in the left hand listing of all your games, then click on "properties", then click on "Betas", you will see the word "none". Ignore that, and scroll down in the betas window, then you should see classic version 1.32.

Click on that. Your game will automatically update/revert back to the classic version of the Witcher 3. (the last patch version right before this big "next gen" update)

Next, wait until CD Projekt Red issues numerous patches for their latest big update. And then maybe you can try it again and it might work well after patches with all those nice eye candy graphical upgrades and mods they added.
lol

I saw this posted so wanted to share. I also had to do this process on a couple of the recent Tomb Raider games, when they did updates that messed up the game and it would no longer start on my old gaming laptop computer.

Update -- By the way, if you were wondering, the great and amazingly awesome "Gervant First Person" mod from Nexus mods doesn't work on the "next gen" updated version of the game.

This is one of my favorite mods, and if you like having first person view in the Witcher 3, I would definitely recommend it. But it only works for now for the classic Witcher 3 version. (the mod author said he doesn't know when he might have an updated version for the "next gen" update in the comments for the mod, he says the new patch "is a nightmare")

Last edited:
Well after 4 hours trying everything turned off etc. on I9, 1080, 32mb ram and installed on an ssd i gave up and playing on direct 11, with no issues.
I saw stuttering, crashes, awful lip sync, random colour/brightness changes, etc. etc. Makes the Cyberpunk 2077 release look awesome.

Well it seems they learned not a single lesson from Cyberpunk 2077. I don't know if something in the company changed, or the talent has left the studio over the last few years. I'm officially worried about all future games at this point will be a mess on release.

Well after 4 hours trying everything turned off etc. on I9, 1080, 32mb ram and installed on an ssd i gave up and playing on direct 11, with no issues.
I saw stuttering, crashes, awful lip sync, random colour/brightness changes, etc. etc. Makes the Cyberpunk 2077 release look awesome.
I'm having no issues with DX12, and I also have a 1080.

That's on the Ultra preset with everything on except Ray tracing. I did notice a little bit of pop-in a few times, and the Steam overlay is broken, but otherwise it works fine for me.

I can't be sure what my frame rate is because the broken overlay won't let me use Fraps or Steam's built-in FPS counter, but I'm guessing around 40-50 fps in most places.

Just for fun, I did enable Ray-traced global illumination for a moment just to see the effect, and it turned everything into a slide-show. It looked like it was running around 5 FPS, but that's what I'd expect with a GPU as old as mine.

Mine defaulted to ray tracing, which wasn't a slide show but wasn't great either. The 6000 series isn't known for good RT performance, so...
Turning that off and setting to everything to Ultra I was getting 55-61 FPS* in that big town where Triss is (I forget the name).

All-in-all, better than I expected, but there were some sudden dips in occasion. Might visit the woods next and see if it goes to shit.

I tried reenabling RT to see if I could tweak it, but then the game CTDed.

[*I ended up using AMD Adrenaline's performance monitoring stuff to get the FPS]

And in combat it's even worse. Since you have to move it a lot more, since you lose a lot of spatial awareness with it being this close.
I even felt a bit dizzy for a second.
After trying it for a bit, I don't like either option now.

I feel like the closer camera is more immersive, but I don't like how it places Geralt off to the left. It also sometimes makes it a little harder to spot things when you're scanning the environment.

The default camera otoh feels too far away. I like to be a little closer to the action than that. I'll probably end up using a mod whenever I get around to doing a full replay. I'd like a camera view that's somewhere in between those two.

Back
Top Bottom