Witcher 3 Witcher 3 Getting a Free Upgrade

The Witcher 3
I tried it after the update, and on DX12 with RT on I've been getting some really weird graphical effects. Either various parts of the frame are blurred out, or pixelated. There's also weird glitches in the lighting. Sadly I don't think I'll play in DX12. Seems way too unstable. About what you'd expect from forcing a radical tech, that affects potentially everything visual, on an older engine that probably wasn't built with RT in mind. And surely they can't test all situations.

I'm afraid that when I return to TW3, it'll be on DX11. Looks good enough on that.

There's nothing wrong with the DX12 because I've been playing it and have zero issues. The issue is either on your end or it's a problem with the RT effects.

There's nothing wrong with the DX12 because I've been playing it and have zero issues. The issue is either on your end or it's a problem with the RT effects.
Yeah, it’s the RT. I’ve read others complaining about similar things. It’s apparently very unstable and can easily look weird in certain game conditions.

RTGI is a gamechanger as shown in the digital foundry video, if you play with it, i dont think you can get back to without it, but it completely fucks the performance unless you got a 4000 card lol. At least dx11 with ultra+ looks astonishing, they increased well foliage and npc distance draw. The video above shows all quite well.

RTGI is a gamechanger as shown in the digital foundry video, if you play with it, i dont think you can get back to without it, but it completely fucks the performance unless you got a 4000 card lol. At least dx11 with ultra+ looks astonishing, they increased well foliage and npc distance draw. The video above shows all quite well.
When it works well. As I said, I ran with all Ultra+RT options on max, and averaged between 40-60 fps @3840x1600, but in certain locations, and I can only conclude that in certain moments of day or lighting situations, it looks weird or broken.

Last edited:
I think RT is really starting to grow on me. It looks, really fascinating sometimes. There's some hard to describe quality to how the lighting looks while in the forest, where not a lot of light can penetrate. It's interesting to say the least, and no longer flat. I'll have to try it some more.

I think RT is really starting to grow on me. It looks, really fascinating sometimes. There's some hard to describe quality to how the lighting looks while in the forest, where not a lot of light can penetrate. It's interesting to say the least, and no longer flat. I'll have to try it some more.
It does look great in the scenes where it stands out. The problem is that the effect is often so subtle that it can be hard to see while the scene is in motion.

A question to the fellow watchers: Are there other interesting changes apart from the graphics in that Upgrade? While I love TW3, graphics alone would be a reason for me to play again.

A question to the fellow watchers: Are there other interesting changes apart from the graphics in that Upgrade? While I love TW3, graphics alone would be a reason for me to play again.
RTX and the upgraded texture mods were the main draw, but a new POV option was added as well. So you can adjust the camera and how far you want to view Geralt.

This article lists more of the changes.

Thanks, these things alone don't sound like real content changes to me, so I will probably pass. By the way I made a mistake in my last post, of course I meant "While I love TW3, graphics alone would not be a reason for me to play again."

GOG says that isn't DRM but that's a textbook example of gatekeeping the new item DLC. The fact you have to do that for every new game you play makes it DRM as well.(n)

There is also a new quest, QOL-changes and some balance adjustments. Here is the full list:
https://www.thewitcher.com/en/news/47105/next-gen-update-list-of-changes
And there are online-only items that make people question whether the GOG-Version is still DRM-free... (see link, "Online features").
A thanks, I somehow missed the new-quest-bit when browsing the information. May be, I'll try it then...
Online-only-items sound like a turn-off indeed. On the other hand games like Elden Ring have online-specific items, which are there. because they are only useful for multiplayer, so they make sense without any connection to DRM, so it would be important, of which type these items are...
(I remember something nasty from one of the Fallout-3-expansions, where some items in the game world would only exist, if you were logged into an additional services, windows games or something. That was bad. I believe they patched that out in the meantime.)

Here this short video covers the added DLC and changes as well.

0:00 - The Witcher 3 Next Gen Update
00:17 - Netflix DLC Quest
01:16 - Photo Mode
01:32 - Alternative Appearances
01:50 - New Camera
02:19 - New Armor and Weapons
02:57 - Mods Included
03:38 - PC and Console Specific
04:40 - QoL Changes
In bold is the item DLC which you have to log on to CDPR to enable every new game.

"Online-only" was probably the wrong term I used: you have to register or log in via GOG-Galaxy in order to be able to get these items. So it's probably the same as you describe for Fallout 3.

By the way, new items alone wouldn't be very interesting, regardless of the DRM issue. Do they have horse armor, at least?

By the way, new items alone wouldn't be very interesting, regardless of the DRM issue. Do they have horse armor, at least?
Probably, but if you're only looking for new content, this update probably isn't reason enough for you to replay TW3. I think the changes are pretty impressive though considering it's free and the game is 7 years old.

Probably, but if you're only looking for new content, this update probably isn't reason enough for you to replay TW3. I think the changes are pretty impressive though considering it's free and the game is 7 years old.
You are right, we should appreciate their support for the game. My joke was not meant to belittle that. When they make a new DLC with the quality of the first two, or a new witcher game, I will be the first one to buy it.

Back
Top Bottom