Wizardry 4

Anyone whose intersted of wizardry thers an enhanced japanese version of wiz1-3 that has been translated by fans to english in underdog games that is called:"Wizardry I-II-III: Story of Llylgamyn":
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=3384
I have played only first wiz 95% through (the original) - with one arm. My second one was broken at the time so I couldnt use it. It was a real one hand finger practise.

Hey zakhal, how complete is the translation? I just downloaded it and tried to play it but most of the menus and npc dialog was in Japanese.

Oh.. and I need to start playing the wizardry series too... just not sure which one.. it has to be earlier than 8 - that's for sure. I've been thinking maybe the 6th one..

That's probably the best choice. 6-8 form a saga of sorts and have quite similar game mechanics. However, 6 is related to 7/8 quite loosely so I wouldn't consider it "mandatory". It still is a very good game with a lot of reasonably difficult puzzles/battles and I really liked its mysterious atmosphere.

Definitively play 7. As I've mentioned in another thread, this game is freakin' huge. Massive world, great design, complex gameplay. I'd warn you though, it's also really hard to finish Wiz7 without walkthrough, it took me one year back in the day:lol:
You'll have A LOT of things to do in Wiz7 before you eventually reach the possible "what now?" point though. Probably the most significant quality of W7 is, that there's a lot of everything. Lot of stats, lot of battles, lot of dungeons, lot of quests, lot of puzzles, lot of items, lot of hair-pulling, and lot of lots of.
Both Wiz6 and Wiz7 work fine in DosBox. I wouldn't recommend WizGold.

Sorry for derailing this thread a bit. Yes, 6-8 are very different games to 1-5, but they're great nevertheless. I couldn't get into 1-5, though I struggled with 4 for a while.

Last edited:
Do you know exactly what is the difference between wizgold and wiz7 I found some bugs while I played wiz gold but no big deal, that I noticed, I rather liked the better graphics, and story telling!

Do you know exactly what is the difference between wizgold and wiz7 I found some bugs while I played wiz gold but no big deal, that I noticed, I rather liked the better graphics, and story telling!

Admittedly, my memory is rusty in this regard, basically I just remember that I've tried WizGold some years ago and quickly changed to original version for some reasons.
I'm not sure what exactly caused it, but if I remember correctly, I didn't like the narrator (was breaking immersion for me somehow), text was running unreadably fast and audiovisual enhancements were very mild and I actually liked original character portraits more. But most of this is just a matter of opinion of course.

Probably the most important flaw of WizGold is that diplomacy skill isn't working. Now, that's probably not that bad for someone who already knows the game, but to a first-timer this may cause some serious troubles. That's the main reason why I haven't recommended WizGold.

Well, Skav, you got me interested in Wiz4 again. One tip I can give you if you find a level too hard is try to find a ladder to the next level as quickly as possible, find the level up tile, then retreat to the previous level with your better monsters.

And I'll also warn you some of the levels aren't self contained. I found that out after I quit playing. There's a level with a push of pits for example but that's all I'll say.

Do I remember right? If you die, Karl Mulden comes in quoting his lines from his American Express commercial of the time?

Thanks for the tips about finding stairs as soon as possible and the floor tiles (the first time you get to a new summoning circle on a higher level you level up). I'm so used to taking my time in a RPG that it took me a little longer to figure out that I shouldn't dilly dally around and get to the higher levels as fast as possible.

I'm up to lvl 8 (the land of a thousand cuts, which turn out to be land mines all over this lvl) and if I thought 9 was hard eight is becoming ridiculous. I really don't know what these monsters do, so it's trial and error to figure out which ones are best to use.

Lvl 9 was a pain because I finally found the secret door after searching for a few hours. I can't even cast the light spell which reveals secret doors. I have to be in combat and hope one of my priests casts it, then go searching and hope there is a secret door. I'm not even going to go into how long it took me to figure out that the hellhound on that lvl is impossible to kill, I'll come back for him later.

I got to say that this game has a deserved reputation of being close to impossible. You almost always are facing higher lvl characters than you and on top of that there is that stupid ghost following you. I really really really hate that ghost and articus' adventurers are a little annoying too. I read up on this game and found out that the devs used real parties that people made to pass the previous wizardies.

The death screen for Wiz4 says "Oh No!!! The nightmares and the torments begin again! Next time I'll be clever enough to escape!" There is a charge card in the game though. You can use it to buy advice from the oracle that you meet from time to time.

As for Wiz7 vs Gold. I always went with gold because of the narrator and prettier graphics :) The diplomancy bug is annoying but not a game breaker for me. Most people recommend the original but I gotta go with gold because of the automap and narrator.

Sorry about the name Zachary :) - since we had another Zach in the thread I actually had to look it up and still got it wrong.

Lucky Day was the name of my gambler character in Cthulhu NOW in my PnP days. He was extremely superstitious and had an astrology skill. Innevitibly when he would succeed that skill the stars told him to stay home.

However, the name was inspired by my new profile.

---

I think WizGold was designed with W95 in mind so it installs better IIRC. I can't remember better graphics with it though.

Wow, skav got to level 9. I think I quit at level 7 with all those pits.

The game actually came with a Mordor Charge card in the box and having not read LotR yet I didn't know what that was talking about. I'll have to find out the Karl Malden reference in Wizardry. He said "What will you do!?"

WizGold will install fine in an XP machine, but I usually have both installed. The detached automap I like, but for the most part I also prefer the original DOS version. Gotta find my backup first though, so for now it's WizGold.

Wizardry 4 is the only Wizardry I do not own. I can't say I've beaten any of them, at least that I can remember. I guess I need to rebuy the Wizardry Archives. My copy was stolen, and the one I didn't remember to back up was of course, 4.

Another nice site with patches, solutions, tips, saves and other useful stuff for wizardry series plus Wizards and Warriors
http://www.tk421.net/wizardry/

Has anyone ever played wizards and warriors? It looks like a good game but the bugs just scare me away from buying it. Apparently there are many many bugs.

I would recommend wiz6 as a starting point. It is probably easier than 7-8 but still a good challenge and has excellent pacing. The graphics are also a big step up from wiz 4-5.

Has anyone ever played wizards and warriors? It looks like a good game but the bugs just scare me away from buying it. Apparently there are many many bugs.

Yes, enjoyed it to a limited extent, despite the bugs. If you can buy a copy for $5, get it, otherwise you're paying too much!!

Funny that you guys mention Wizards and Warriors, I was going through some old games just the other day and found my copy.

I remember enjoying the party creation and the first 8-10 hours of game time, but I lost interest in it pretty quick.

Anyone here actually finish it?

Wow, skav got to level 9. I think I quit at level 7 with all those pits.

Thanks Lucky, but it isn't a great accomplishment :) You start out on Level 10 and work your way up. So technically levels 9 and 8 are levels 2 and 3.

I found out I should keep summoning monsters at the summoning circle until you get a large amount of them, like 6 - 9 monsters per group. You can summon 3 groups of monsters and you get a random number between 1 - 9 for each group. What is with Wizardry games and having to reroll all the time? I thought the character gens were bad enough in 7 where you keep making a character over and over until you get bonus points between 16 - 26, but this one makes you do it every level lol.

I loved that game. Sure there are a few bugs in it but there is an unofficial patch that clears up some of the bugs and the rest aren't game breakers. Well, there is one where you have to do some fancy teleporting to get all the quests from the wizards guild, but it doesn't break the game, it justs makes one of the quests impossible to do.

One unique aspect of that game is that you could restart the whole game with your current characters and they kept their experience and items but the whole game restarted. I did the first crypt dungeon 2 times in a row before I headed out into the harder areas.

Also, this might be interesting to those of you who somewhat enjoyed Dungeon Lords but the sounds for some of the monsters were exactly the same in Wizards and Warriors. At first, I thought they must of run out of time when making that game and just threw in the old sound effects for some of the monsters, but later on I liked that he did that.

A lot of people hate the graphics in it, but I didn't. You shouldn't take my word on it though because graphics don't make a huge difference in my opinion of a game (except for ASCII, can't stand those character sets.)

You might have trouble installing it on XP. I finally managed to do it with a text hexing guide and an unofficial graphics patch. Ironworks has the best information on how to get the game running.

Ironworks
http://www.ironworksforum.com/

Anyone here actually finish it?

I finished it once and got to the sphinx on the second run through before I was distracted by a shiny new game that came out ;) This game is one of the best underdogs of all time. I really liked the way D.W. had quests to do if you wanted your characters to switch to a different class and you could only choose classes that were available in certain guilds. Like your wizard characters could only join the wizards guild and could only choose the classes warlock or bard to switch to. There is a way to join all the guilds early on in the game but that always felt like cheating to me.

I have wizards & warriors sitting on my shelf too. Picked it up for a couple of euros long time ago. Been meaning to ask you guys if it's worth playing.

Damn, I just spent the last 2 hours trying to get W&W to run on my WindowsXP system with no luck. I tried all the tips I could find but it just locks up at a black screen as soon as I start it and I have to Ctr-Alt-Del to get out.

To my surprise it installed without a hitch... actually getting it to run seems to be a different matter however.

Well I almost have it figured out now. I can start the game and create a party but I can't view any movies, for instance...If I try to view the intro movie the game locks up. Oh well I need to get some sleep, I'll figure it out later.

So many games.....so little time....

On Wizardry 7/Gold its important to remember that the most powerful weapon in the game can only be used by a Faeie Ninja, the most difficult class/race combination to roll. It became the most famous aspect of the game. Wiz 8 let's you import your Wiz 7 characters and gear so you can import it over. I don't remember if the Blade Cuisinart can be brought over all the way from Wiz 1 to Wiz 8. I suspect it stops at Wiz 3 and is not at Wiz 5.

Faeie Ninja, the most difficult class/race combination to roll.

Last time when I've played Wiz7 I just rolled Faerie Monk which is a lot less difficult and around level 10 I changed his profession to Ninja. Of course, I had to reload on level ups a bit to increase the required stats (mostly vitality IIRC). With Cane this Faerie Ninja guy was the only one who survived Fiend and Beast thus ended with a lot more levels than the other fellas :)
(party was around 24-26, he was 37 IIRC)

Back
Top Bottom