Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum!

I like my beer like I like my coffee - just as long as it's really dark, bitter, and potent, I'm in. The name of it doesnt mean much

It's true, beer in one country has different taste relations to another country due to lifestyles and traditions etc'

In Britain before the keg lager boom (1970) most popular beers were *ale* types traditionally linking back to *mead* type ales from a couple of centuries ago and beyond to medievil times.

Traditionally, ale drinkers were working class folks, there were pubs, taverns, hotels corner shops "out-doors" (licenced to sell shops) on almost every street corner, it was a way of life. Hard working men such as steel workers and miners (like my old man) would look forward to have their fill of ale at the end of a working day. As these working trades phased-out the newer lager types became commonplace. My preference is the *dark mild* types, dark and full bodied (hic)... :beer:

As the real ales are facing extinction, "CAMRA" has done a great job in public awareness about what could be lost.
http://www.camra.org.uk/home.aspx?o=home :beer:

You amateurs should leave the discussion about good beer to people from Germany or the Czech Republic. :mwahaha: :gorath: :greengrin:

This reminds me of a Mark Knopfler lyric:

(Disclaimer: please excuse German misspellings in advance-thank you ;) )

"There's plenty of deutschmarks here to earn
and German tarts are wunderschoen
German beer is chemical free
Germany's all right with me. " :)

Sadly, we only seem to get a couple of brands of German beer locally; the big L from Munich and I think Dortmunder??!! There may be others, but they're difficult to find.

We get plenty of import beer from everywhere, and until about 15 or so years ago that was almost my entire source of consumption ... the 'microbrew revolution' here has produced good local beer!

I drank one glass of beer in my whole life and I didn't like it. :kitty:
Phew, I was afraid I was the only one. I actually tried to LEARN how to drink beer but the only thing I learned is that if you divide a standard beer into 3 slurps, then the first one tastes awful, the second tastes just as bad and my belly starts to rumble and the third slurp triggers the lot of them to come back up at high speed :uncool:

Sadly, we only seem to get a couple of brands of German beer locally; the big L from Munich and I think Dortmunder??!! There may be others, but they're difficult to find.

Yes, they´re two of the usual suspects. Other major brands are Beck´s, Warsteiner, Krombacher or Erdinger.

Generally speaking German beer is like computer games though - the mainstream is okay but the indies have more character. ;) There are 1284 breweries, many with more than 100 years of experience. At least two still active ones can celebrate their 1000th anniversary in a couple of years.
More often than not it´s a good idea to simply order the local beer and avoid the industry stuff. The taste may have a little spread but the quality is always high, thanks to the beer purity law.

A few years ago a friend of mine made a tour through a dozen Bavarian cloisters. They all had their own brewery. He enjoyed his holidays quite a bit. :party: :greengrin:

More often than not it´s a good idea to simply order the local beer and avoid the industry stuff. The taste may have a little spread but the quality is always high, thanks to the beer purity law.

Years ago in my first job, the parent company was based in Karlsruhe and I had to take a trip for some collaborative work we were doing, and my host would just take me to local pubs on a nightly basis, where we'd have a beer or two with dinner ... nice stuff :)

Phew, I was afraid I was the only one. I actually tried to LEARN how to drink beer but the only thing I learned is that if you divide a standard beer into 3 slurps, then the first one tastes awful, the second tastes just as bad and my belly starts to rumble and the third slurp triggers the lot of them to come back up at high speed :uncool:
:giggle:
Peer pressure: The things you do for friends. It seems like we are two outcasts in a sea of bitter beverages. But I have a second virtue - I like coffee even less!
(Or is that a vice?)

I mean, I don't drink beer because I don't really feel like it, and of course because don't care for the taste, but with coffee I can't even stand the smell. There can be the tiniest hint of a coffee bean in something and it would make me grimace like Rimmer and Lister after nipping on two cans of very strong alcohol (start watching at 1:50 if you want).

A few years ago a friend of mine made a tour through a dozen Bavarian cloisters. They all had their own brewery. He enjoyed his holidays quite a bit. :party: :greengrin:
Now that's a nice way to spend your vacations. I did pretty much the same thing back in 2003...
jaz_andechs.jpg

My favourite Stuff is "Weltenburger Kloster", they are brewing since 1050 A.D. :) ... though I'm the only one I know who likes it, I can only descripe the taste as bittersweet... so I have often some "Warsteiner" for visitors at home, every one likes Warsteiner ;)

Hmm... "Castle of the Worlds" ... strange ... even sounds like a Roleplaying Game - become the Avatar of Alcohol or something, or a place where some Monks can travel to other Worlds thanks to the use of beer - sounds more fun than the crystal in UU 2 :)

Though the way language functions over the centurys the Place was possibly owned by some Guy called Welten or Woltan or something 1000 years ago... hmm.. now I'm thirsty... *walks to the fridge*

Is it a bock beer? Bock is often bitter-sweet. Most of my friends like bock and doppelbock... personally, I'm not really into the dark sorts. Of beer.

Gorath, I didn't realise Beck's was German; for some reason I thought it British. It's not a bad brew. Whenever I've been in either Germany or Austria (my favourite European country) I just order a stein (or 2) of the local offering. I've never been disappointed!! :)

Is it a bock beer? Bock is often bitter-sweet. Most of my friends like bock and doppelbock... personally, I'm not really into the dark sorts. Of beer.

It is a dark beer, but no Bock-Beer - at least they are marketing it as "Barock Dunkel", from the taste I would say it's somewhere between normal beer and Bock ^^

You amateurs should leave the discussion about good beer to people from Germany or the Czech Republic. :mwahaha: :gorath: :greengrin:

Yeah, that must be why Westvleteren has been chosen as the best beer of the world.(by beerexperts from over the globe) This beer is very hard to come by -> Made in an abbey by the monks and they do not want to industralise anything. Chances are pretty high most of you will never drink it.

Btw, as I said earlier, we're talking about real diffferent kind of beers -> it's more like you do with Schnapps; we also put different fruit in it. Most known is 'Ne Kriek' (Cherries)

OK, must I assume this is strictly a beer bar, or can I get nice chardonnay if I want one?:party: :ahoy:

Sorry, beer only. Anyway, nice chardonnay is an oxymoron!! :)

Back
Top Bottom