Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
ELEX - Pro & Contra
by Hiddenx, 2017-09-19 16:31:50
GameStar found the major pros and cons of ELEX:
ELEX im Test (video in German)loading...
Pros: world, quests, scope, atmosphere
Cons: technical side, combat system, controls
From Reddit: Elex - 7 Things to know before you buy (GameStar; source in German)
Elex doesn't take your hand
- tiny small tutorial
- all enemies kill you at least within 3 hits
- you can miss quests/infos/mechanics if you miss proper attention
- first hrs are hard and at times frustrating
- might be either refreshing or totally overwhelming
Elex embraces Piranha-Bytes strengths
- your char is bluff; piles of coarse dialogs
- huge open world however with fascinating details around every corner
- environmental stories; hidden camps; people; weapons; all sorts of stories, audiologs and letters
- gameplay is defined by the classic gameplay-quintet of combat, conversation, exploration, scavenging and leveling
- ruthless difficulty
- but ALSO all the known PB shortcomings (animations, textures, production values...)
Elex is NOT an AAA game
- graphics doesn't knock anybody's socks off; not ugly either
- 30 devs working in a single family building
- animations are stiff, facial expressions and faces are repetitive, some textures look rough.
- creative Art-Design: picturesque landscapes due to diverse sceneries
- german syncro is doing well
- best score since good old Gothic days
Elex runs on a toaster
- runs on even weak PCs decently
- with min. details (16x AF, SMAA) even a Geforce GTX 760 will run it with 45fps
The strength of Elex' stories is found offside the main story
- main story THE most interesting PB has ever written: your alter-ego is a former terroristic ALB-General, who finds himself amidst normal people and societies. We gradually learn more about his own violent past, learn about a vile betrayal and decide how the world should keep on spinning.
- mix of genres invites to learn and see more of the world
- main story remains in the background for some time
- no arc of suspense a la Witcher 3
- interesting moments offside the main story - side quests, environment, companions
- each main protagonist has its own little story
- quests with nasty moral decisions which end up far more gripping than in Gothic or Risen series - HIGHLIGHTs of the game
- standard fetch quests but also most quests can be solved in more than three different manners
Elex is no Bug-Fiasco, but has rough edges
- while testing no severe bugs that affect test score
- however glitches and small issues along the way; nothing has impact on the overall fun factor though.
- many mechanics lack the necessary fine-tuning; combat can be fiddly and clunky; the jetpack lacks the proper pace; Interface and inventory are neither particularly impressive nor managable.
Elex is a true RPG
- no Action Game with RPG elements but a true RPG
- combat is subordiante to the character system
- Leveling and specialization is often times more interesting than the actual use of such enabled combat mechanics; killing a horde of raptors after you've been pathetically running from them hours priorly is extradordinarily satisfying
- satisfaction of leveling combat mechanics > clunky combat
- Crafting, using sockets, alchemy and the correct choice of factions can create a deep and rewarding rpg system.
Newsbit options: Add / View Comments (76) | Forward this newsbit | Link to this Newsbit
Platform: PC, PS4, Xbox One