ELEX - Gameplay Demo

I thought this video was significantly better than most of the previous gameplay vids. I still don't like the look of the UI, and the animations aren't great, but overall I see a lot of potential.

I'm a big fan of post-apoc settings though, and I really like the atmosphere displayed in this footage.

World building

PB > CDPR > Beth

Exploration

Beth > PB > CDPR

Writing

CDPR > PB > Beth

Combat

PB = Beth = CDPR (All have around equal strengths and weaknesses)

Scope

Beth > CDPR > PB (ELEX might change that, though)

Progression

Beth > PB > CDPR

C&C

CDPR > Beth > PB

Roleplaying

Beth > PB > CDPR

Loot

PB > Beth > CDPR

Magic

Beth > PB > CDPR

Balance

PB > CDPR > Beth

Visuals

CDPR > Beth > PB

Music

CDPR > Beth > PB (except G3 which was godlike)

I would have to agree with most if not all...

They have always made games I have enjoyed, I can't see this one being any different for my taste in games.

I'd have PB over Beth in some of those categories, personally. And TES are some of my favorites. Morrowind mostly.

I'd have PB over Beth in some of those categories, personally. And TES are some of my favorites. Morrowind mostly.

While I perfer CDRED games, but for the most part if you take out of what you personally like its is pretty bang on.

Lets also be honest, you have never played a CDRED game so hard for you to give a full assessment

Bang on to who?

I prefer PB's exploration over Beth by a slight margin. In PB games, rare plants are hand-placed. Shoot, they exist! Which is not the case in Beth games. Second, hard to reach spots generally contain hand-placed loot, which to me tilts the scale to PB as that makes exploration more rewarding for my tastes.

That said, PB needs to improve chest contents. Even the first 3 Gothics did not have great chest loot, although ELEX also stands to fix that by hand-placing every bit of loot, including chests.

Magic is close, too. Morrowind obviously had great magic, spell creation and the like, but PB also has some really unique spells that would fit right in in a TES game. I especially like ice magic that freezes enemies solid, or fire raining from the skies. And the transformation stuff is just great. Risen 1 also had Levitation and other weird stuff, like joke spells that make people treat you nicer. So while it's close, and TES has more micro-variety from spell to spell, I like the uniqueness overall of the PB magic and the macro-uniqueness of their system, so I take them over Beth in that case, too.

Scope, well, Beth wins there, I guess. Even though Gothic 3 was what, 2/3 the size of Skyrim or something? ELEX stands to be the same size of Skyrim yet with the hand-placed world that PB is crafting. So I'll give Beth that one, for now.

Oh, and progression is no contest. PB all the way. Slow, steady, feeling of serious growth, starting from nothing and becoming Godlike later, in a natural way. Beth has too many weird things like shopkeepers starting to sell better and better gear as you level up. And PB has trainers, that make the progression more immersive than just selecting from a chart or getting automatic bonuses at certain skill levels (Oblivion).

Now THAT, is bang on. :p

I was already going to buy this game but I thought the video did make the game look better than all the previous one's I've seen. I'm really excited to play in a few months.

I was already going to buy this game but I thought the video did make the game look better than all the previous one's I've seen. I'm really excited to play in a few months.

I'm hoping I can finish Gothic 3 before the release of ELEX...

might replay risen one...for some reason I really loved that game...

Too much Gothic III vibes here and the previews seem spot on...the world simply looks unconvincing in a jarring/unconvincing contrast of environment and different settings.
Same is with the gameplay, Imo they should have focused on either gunplay or swordplay and polished it as much as possible.

the world simply looks unconvincing in a jarring/unconvincing contrast of environment and different settings.

Reminds me of Oblivion, which tried a more subtle approach of different climate in the game, people complain it's all forests. ELEX tries making the biomes more distinct between areas, it's not convincing. Lol. Can't win here. :p

If anything, it's a change of pace to have 5 different biomes in an open-world RPG like this. The last time I've seen that is Sacred 2, I'd say. Oblivion had a tinge of that,
(snowy Bruma, swampy Leyawiin, forested most of the other areas), and ELEX is supposed to be the same size as Skyrim.

From what I hear this is mechanically going to be what they wanted to do with Gothic III. This is "the game they always wanted to make". It's also supposed to be more like Gothic and less like Risen, according to PB. And they have a good publisher relationship, so the launch should be nothing at all comparable to Gothic III.

Last edited:
To those interested, here are a few features confirmed by PB that I find interesting/exciting.

1. No level-scaling.
2. ALL loot is hand-placed.
3. 5 unique biomes, each with their own ecology, environment, enemies and more.
4. 3 mutually exclusive factions.
5. Heavily interconnected quests.
6. Completely open-world, 1.5x the size of Gothic III (roughly the size of Skyrim.)
7. Hard/impossible enemies will inhabit the map from the start of the game.
8. Loot will also reflect the challenges you overcame to find it/earn it. Better loot is placed in harder to obtain spots.
9. Plenty of vertical exploration via the jetpack.
10. More skills than ANY PB game ever.
11. Trainers to train skills and a stat-based RPG system (classic PB.)
12. Free projectile-based shooting mechanics, i.e. not an auto-hit like the last 2 Risen games. Still based on stats.
13. Will be more like Gothic, less like Risen.
14. No loading screens or transition screens in the entire open-world.

There may be more I'm forgetting right now as I'm tired. These are some of the reasons, though, that I think this one is going to be really good for my tastes…

Last edited:
Video looked fine. It has the trademark PB clunkiness - but that's more than ok with me, as they never let me down.

I do worry about exploration a little - as a game world that big is very hard to fill with interesting stuff. Hand-placed loot sounds great, but exploration is about more than that. I need logs/journals and especially environmental storytelling.

I kinda doubt such a relatively small team managed to fill the world with that kind of thing, but I guess we'll see.

I do worry about exploration a little - as a game world that big is very hard to fill with interesting stuff. Hand-placed loot sounds great, but exploration is about more than that. I need logs/journals and especially environmental storytelling.

I kinda doubt such a relatively small team managed to fill the world with that kind of thing, but I guess we'll see.

Well, if you look at Gothic III, considering it is unfinished, it's a marvel what they actually were able to do. I just made it to the second town in the game and the scope of the game is huge, and so far it's quite interesting to explore.

I also just finished Gothic II NotR, and it took me 91 hours to beat. I went into that game thinking it was going to be some small, almost story-focused RPG, and was blown away later by how much content it actually had. I mean, they have things in that game that probably less than 5% of people would even see or know is there on a first playthrough, let alone all the other stuff that I must have missed.

They also did some very weird stuff, like NPCs saying little quips here and there based on where you were at in the story, but in areas you didn't even have to return to or check in on to even see/hear what they had to say. Or NPCs you may never have thought to talk to again suddenly offering different things every chapter, whether quests, items or some new dialogue and reason to chat with them. Quite a bit of different dialogue based on how you handled situations, too. Day/night cycle + NPC scripts for an RPG in 2002. It's amazing what they were able to accomplish with that game, IMO.

Risen 2 and 3, while good RPGs, were a bit of a step back for me, but PB is saying all the right things as to how they are really going all out for ELEX and fixing what their fans said they did wrong in the last 2 Risens.

Really nice summary you put there Dart, I only strongly disagree with one of them:

Progression

Beth > PB > CDPR

Progression in Bethesda games has been nonexistent since Oblivion, since the world scales along with you there was never a sense of actually getting stronger in my opinion. So for me PB would be the best here, since they do the opposite, no scaling at all.

Really looking forward to this, I haven't really been paying attention earlier. Just the fact that it isn't a generic fantasy setting makes it a lot more exciting to me. I agree the combat looks so-so but I can live with that if the exploration and writing is good. Not sold on the jetpack but I guess it might be cool.

Really nice summary you put there Dart, I only strongly disagree with one of them:

Progression

Beth > PB > CDPR

Progression in Bethesda games has been nonexistent since Oblivion, since the world scales along with you there was never a sense of actually getting stronger in my opinion. So for me PB would be the best here, since they do the opposite, no scaling at all.

Really looking forward to this, I haven't really been paying attention earlier. Just the fact that it isn't a generic fantasy setting makes it a lot more exciting to me. I agree the combat looks so-so but I can live with that if the exploration and writing is good. Not sold on the jetpack but I guess it might be cool.

Well said on the progression bit.

As for the jetpack, it will have a cooldown to limit abuse in combat. What I like about it is that it essentially will replace the climbing mechanic from previous PB games, which is pretty ingenious. Instead of having to jump to a ledge and climb up, a quick shot of the jetpack and you're up there. The game is also said to have a lot of vertical exploration, so the map should also extend upwards, with the jetpack essentially saving you some time jumping from ledge to ledge to explore it.

I watched Risen 3 review some days ago and author shared same sentiment I have about PB:

They simply don't know what made Gothic 1/2 great games, it just happened somehow :)
In later games they are all about making huge game worlds and joining factions, like those two things are most important for winning formula!

Back
Top Bottom