ELEX - Gameplay Demo

I do think you're missing out on a great experience - but some things hit some people harder than others, and if you just really hate scaling, well….

Oh I do hate it, but it wouldn't stop me from playing a game. I got about 80 hours from Skyrim before I unistalled it, I'd consider that good value for my money. But if we're talking "Best game ever!" then yeah, scaling wouldn't be present in mine.

Last edited:
Yeah, you heard wrong. PB took full responsibility shortly after release. That doesn't mean they couldn't have done more with more money - but no contract was breached and nothing wasn't honored. PB just didn't plan well enough and underestimated how long they would need to finish it.

Few publishers are willing to keep funding indefinitely if a game is marketable.

But, really, why are we talking about this? The game is out in a few months - and I'm sure we'll both have things to say about it after playing it.

I'm greatly looking forward to it - but I don't have this need to believe everything about it will be fantastic. I can still have great fun with games even if they're flawed :)

Maybe I have nothing to worry about - and this gigantic world has been filled with meaty and unique content that doesn't get old.

In that case, I will most definitely be a very happy person during my playtime.

I expect it to be great, for me, because I know PB and what they do. They haven't let me down yet.

I can already tell you that combat will get knocked by a lot of people, there will be some Angry Joe memes and so on. Do I care? Nope. Even if the game were to be Gothic III quality I'd still love it because I can't get enough of their RPGs. :)

In other words, I have no reason to say it will be fantastic for anybody but myself. Your mileage may vary.

And if you think it won't be panned, most likely, by critics, just look at some "previews" that complain about things like "the difficulty curve being all over the place! I could kill a rat but then a swamp golem murdered me. Unfair!" That's probably what to expect from that arena, sadly. :)

I expect it to be great, for me, because I know PB and what they do. They haven't let me down yet.

I can already tell you that combat will get knocked by a lot of people, there will be some Angry Joe memes and so on. Do I care? Nope. Even if the game were to be Gothic III quality I'd still love it because I can't get enough of their RPGs. :)

In other words, I have no reason to say it will be fantastic for anybody but myself. Your mileage may vary.

I'm not worried about whether it's fantastic for you or not - but whether they've managed to fill the world with enough distinct and interesting content.

I think it will be a great game as well.

I don't need to worry about you and games. You just decide they're great and then that's what they are :)

Arguing with me without rational arguments is not the best way to get your point across :)

Why do you think I care about getting a point across to you? :D

Anyway, off-topic again, sorry. I'm really just bored. Time to go play some Gothic III and explore the Kingdom of Myrtana a bit more.

Maybe it will become the BEST EVAH RPG for me. :)

Why do you think I care about getting a point across to you? :D

Anyway, off-topic again, sorry. I'm really just bored. Time to go play some Gothic III and explore the Kingdom of Myrtana a bit more.

Maybe it will become the BEST EVAH RPG for me. :)

Did I say I think you care? ;)

Have fun. I can't wait until you quit in a few hours when you're magically bored for no reason!

j/k

*kisses*

Nice video. Liked the part where he takes on a big machine with a sword. Definitely on my radar even if not a fan of jet packs.

PB will have to majorly fail a couple of times in a row before I stop supporting them.

Also, I guess I'm one of the few people on the planet who really enjoyed Risen 2 and 3.

Did I say I think you care? ;)

Have fun. I can't wait until you quit in a few hours when you're magically bored for no reason!

j/k

*kisses*

Actually, I'm so ahead of my Let's Plays uploaded on YouTube that I have to cut back my gaming time so as to not finish G3 before my G2 LP is even uploaded.

I'm here avoiding my work of having to edit and upload videos atm, so yeah. Also, just editing the .ini of G3 more to try and get 60 FPS in Cape Dun. The choppiness was getting rough there.

Actually, I'm so ahead of my Let's Plays uploaded on YouTube that I have to cut back my gaming time so as to not finish G3 before my G2 LP is even uploaded.

I'm here avoiding my work of having to edit and upload videos atm, so yeah. Also, just editing the .ini of G3 more to try and get 60 FPS in Cape Dun. The choppiness was getting rough there.

Bored already, then? ;)

I watched Risen 3 review some days ago and author shared same sentiment I have about PB:

They simply don't know what made Gothic 1/2 great games, it just happened somehow :)
In later games they are all about making huge game worlds and joining factions, like those two things are most important for winning formula!

They invented Gothic, so I think they know. They tried different things in Risen 2 and 3, got some backlash and ELEX stands to correct that. And Risen 2 and 3 still had a large amount of the Gothic formula. Just not as much as earlier games. PB has already stated that ELEX is more Gothic/Gothic III than anything Risen.

I seriously doubt any people who worked on Gothic I and II are still there. Basically, you're hoping PB will produce something like Gothic, without people who made Gothic.

I can say it's good that it hasn't scaling/respawns, however combat will still be cancerrr

Pankratz and Hoge, man. Pankratz and Hoge.

The Piranha saviors of are pee gees.

Progression in Bethesda games has been nonexistent since Oblivion, since the world scales along with you there was never a sense of actually getting stronger in my opinion. So for me PB would be the best here, since they do the opposite, no scaling at all.

I think nostalgia is playing a few tricks here. Reason I dropped G2 recently was because of very poor progression/loot system, I'm surprised you don't hear anyone criticizing this.
They introduced stat caps…+3 level ups/gain 5 points of strength( or similar) before even reaching mid game. It makes leveling up extremely tedious and unrewarding…I think I needed at least a few hours of run-kill marathon to reach any progress (and since game for the most part reuses the same enemy AI attack patterns, you'll be fighting what you did before, only with more hitpoint bloat), called it quits at that point
This does not work well in a rigid system also relies on heavy damage barriers and demands clear specialization…compare it to stat/weapon dependencies in Souls series, extremely flexible and with a ton of viable build variety.
On top of that, stat requirements on weapons were also sky high and ended up making them practically useless…by the time you're able to wield, say Dragonlancer, you'll be near end game and it's benefits will be trivial compared to player strength stat required to wield it.
Plus weapon/loot progression is completely linear to boot…next weapon/armor is line, is actually the same that you currently have, only + % damage/resistance improvements…the game may as well have only one sword, bow, etc with a basic crafting upgrade system.
Progression in open world games should be designed around variety of quality, diverse builds ( that allows ton of metagaming options) instead of straightforward, linear +/+/+ on player/item base stats.
Or you end up with Gothic ( ridiculous hit-worg-with-a-sword-fifty-times-to-kill-it
damage sponge "difficulty"), Oblivion( global scaling), Skyrim/Fallout ( mix of enemy scaling within set parameters/"buffs" based on enemy type).

Yes, I know G3 was unfinished. Why? Because it was bigger than PB could handle at the time :)
No.

G3 was unfinished because JoWood shown no understanding of what that game is trying to be, didn't want to let a few more months prolonged development and didn't care if the game will ever get officially patched.
While PB still exists, where's JoWood today?

The same reasoning goes on Risen 2 cut outs. It was the publisher who wanted those retarded DLC being made as DLC, it's not PB not being big enough to handle development.

Sadly, there was no CDprojekt in form of a publisher back then. Luckily, there is now. So even if Elex suffers from the current publisher, Pluto13 can always switch to negotitate with Poland for some future game.

Back
Top Bottom