Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
This looks good. The term "roguelite" being included in the description gives me pause, but I've wishlisted it until I can find out more.
I only wish it wasn't a "four-player co-op as well". If it has some kind of single-player campaign, I'd wishlist it; on the contrary, I do't think so.

I only wish it wasn't a "four-player co-op as well". If it has some kind of single-player campaign, I'd wishlist it; on the contrary, I do't think so.

It will apparently have a single-player mode.

It will apparently have a single-player mode.
Well, that's a little more comforting :)

Starfield Won't Be Skyrim In Space, Xbox Games Boss Says - Gamespot
"I'm confident that he's not going to sit still on what was built before. It's not his approach to come in and reskin something," Booty said. "There's going to be an awful lot of things that move forward with this game. I think there's going to be an awful lot of new stuff that Bethesda fans and Todd Howard fans have not seen, brought to the game. I know just from checking in with them the team is hard at work to get that thing all buttoned up and put together. I'm fortunate enough to be involved in the status reports and things, and it's just fun watching them iterate through that level of polish on the game right now."
Mass Effect & Emotional Storytelling - WePc
My hopes for the next game in the Mass Effect franchise aren’t exactly high. Mass Effect Andromeda took all the goodwill that the series once had and destroyed it with an incredibly buggy launch experience, and facial animations that stuck in the minds of gamers long past the release of the game. That’s not to say Mass Effect Andromeda is particularly bad in the current state that it exists in, but it simply isn’t anything approaching the levels of Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3.

All I need from a future installment in the Mass Effect series is what the series has already given me in the first three games in the series, taking full advantage of next-generation capabilities and hardware. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition has proven that Bioware still has what it takes to do right by the Mass Effect series, and I hope to see that reflected in the future of the series.
Japanese PC gaming has had incredible growth - PCGamer
Japan's PC gaming market has roughly doubled in three years, growing to nearly $896 million US between 2018 and 2021. The user base of active PC gamers has increased by 5 million from 2015 to 2021, with 4.5 million of those playing exclusively on PC—up more than 100% from 2015's 2.2 million PC-exclusive Japanese gamers.
Even More Tactics Ogre: Reborn Details - RPGSite
Square Enix has released more information and screenshots for Tactics Ogre: Reborn, detailing The Warren Report, Challenge Locations, Relics, and Monster Classes.

Fextralife Top RPG of The Week

Deadpool and More Coming to Midnight Suns, Warframe Duviri Paradox Delayed, Mortal Online 2 Development Roadmap, Atomic Heart Release on Feb 21, Nioh Series 7 Million Milestone, $550 for PS VR2, Octopath Traveller 2 New Characters, The Witcher 4 Director Announced, Forspoken Magic Deep Dive on this week of Top RPG News November 06, 2022
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty - New Gameplay Changes

Thanks to KOEI TECMO America and Team Ninja, we had the opportunity to travel and participate in a hands-on preview in San Francisco just a few days ago, for Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, which releases on PC, PS4/5, and Xbox One/Series X|S on March 3, 2023.
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty - Post-Beta Preview

We took an updated look at Team Ninja's upcoming soulslike, Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, to see what changes have been made since its recent beta. We came away (mostly) impressed at what we played.
Mass Effect Fans Scramble To Decipher Next Game's New Teaser - Kotaku
Why release a new Mass Effect trailer when you can just send fans spiraling down the conspiracy hole with a brief tease instead? BioWare released its latest salvo of clues for the upcoming sci-fi RPG today, including ambient video of a new mass relay, giant space stations that shoot ships around the galaxy, being built. There are nods to the original trilogy’s ship, Normandy, the villainous group Cerberus, and a whole lot more. Strap-in.

Ludus Mortis Dungeon Crawler set in Dark Fantasy Roman Empire - Steam

Grid-Based First Person Dungeon Crawler set in a Dark Fantasy version of the Imperial Rome. Create and develop your party, explore catacombs and fight demons and undead to free Rome. Inspired by old-school cRPG from the 80s and 90s.
OwlCat Rogue Trader Shooting Preview

How Do Diablo IV's World Tiers Work?

Diablo IV's Game Director Joe Shely and Diablo General Manager Rod Fergusson tell us about how ascending Diablo IV's World Tiers - or difficulty levels - opens up new gameplay, new gear and fearsome boss encounters.
Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Bloody Ties DLC Details and Launch Trailer

In Bloody Ties, players will embark on a new story adventure, you will reach the epicenter of death, wealth, and absolute splendor in a stunning location; The Carnage Hall. This old opera building is full of challenges and quests, surprising new weapon types, character interactions, and discoveries to uncover.
Classics-Inspired Chained Echoes launches December 8 - Steam

Chained Echoes, the long-awaited, pixel-perfect JRPG developed by Matthias Linda and published by Deck13 Spotlight, has finally received a release date! Perfectly blending fantasy with mechs and airships, this story-driven epic will arrive on December 8 for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC. The game will also be available through Xbox Game Pass for PC, consoles and the Cloud on day one.
Final Fantasy 16 Has No Business Abiding By Historical Realism - TheGamer
Perhaps the complete experience is hiding a few unexpected surprises, and there remains a hidden vein of diversity yet to be uncovered, but Yoshida’s long-winded and insubstantial answer has me believing that won’t be the case, and he was trying to conjure up a defence centred around historical accuracy that was never going to stand up to scrutiny. The series is arguably more culturally prominent than ever before, and Final Fantasy 16 continues to look incredible, but I sorely wish it would open its eyes and realise the world it seeks to take inspiration from is so much more diverse than Square Enix would like to believe.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Memories and Lessons

We've finally made it to Dragon Age: Inquisition. DAI is the game that I am most proud of as a game. It most closely matches what we were trying to do. The PROJECT on the other hand...
Chapters:
0:00 Who am I?
2:09 Frostbite
7:33 Vision
15:30 A Day Trip and a Lunch...
23:24 Ray and Greg
25:52 Mounts
28:03 Multi-region Open-world
32:04 The Inquisition
35:57 The Hinterlands
42:12 Designer Hugs
44:06 Tactical Camera
47:34 Story
49:58 Size != Quality
52:20 Save AFTER Alpha
54:30 5 Platforms
59:39 Corypheus is the Villain
1:01:41 DLC and Expansions
1:05:11 DAMP, Hendrix, Multiplayer
1:12:48 Early Access
1:14:41 Box Art and Collector's Edition
1:18:32 GotY 2014
1:22:24 Time Machine Time
Solasta: Crown of the Magister Update Warlocks - Games Website
So you're telling me you want to learn magic, but you've got no money to enter a magic academy and no ancient bloodline running through your veins? It's alright, just sign here and I'll take care of it. What is this? You can't read either? Even better!

Jokes aside, Warlocks are spellcasters whose magic originates from their pact with an otherwordly being - a pact that could be your stereotypical deal with the devil, a whimsical interest from a powerful fey, or even the protection of a compassionate entity. Their patron grants them power in exchange for services, a facet of the class that can be very interesting to explore on Tabletop but which could not be implemented in Solasta.
Blasphemous Pixel Dark Souls 3 2D Metroidvania Pitch -RPGSite
Thomas Feicthmeir, aka Cyangmou, who worked on pixel art for games such as Blasphemous, today revealed on Twitter that he was part of a pitch around 6 years back for a potential 2D Metroidvania reinvention of Dark Souls 3.
Brand new screenshots for Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty - DSO
KOEI Tecmo has released a new set of screenshots for Team Ninja’s upcoming action-packed dark fantasy game, Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty.

VtM: Bloodlines 2 - Release Date 'Soon'

Paradox Interactive CEO, Fredrik Wester, recently gave an interview with Privata Affärer in which he stated a release date will likely come relatively soon.
Project: The Perceiver - Exclusive Announcement Trailer

Check out the action-packed first trailer for upcoming open-world action game, Project: The Perceiver. Developed and published by Papergames, Project: The Perceiver is based on the Chinese Lao Zhuang canon. Here's your first look at the game's story as well as some combat in action. Meet some of the characters and watch part of an intense boss fight, showing off the game's Chinese martial arts-inspired combat system.

In Project: The Perceiver, the old dynasty has fallen and the nation has been left in chaos. After being captured, the game's protagonist makes a bloody escape and manages to invoke a mysterious power before encountering his fated nemesis. Explore several ancient cities in a beautiful fantasy world, engage in exciting battles, and get to know a variety of characters as the Master of Varietas.
Atomic Heart: Rewriting the Soviet History Book - IGN First

Watch our latest Atomic Heart IGN First video! Robots have turned against their creators, and it's up to veteran soldier Major Sergey Nechaev, better known as P-3, to stop them. This video will get you up to speed on the story of Atomic Heart, from its alternate history Soviet setting, to its many characters and killer robots.
How Diablo IV Is Bringing Its Power Fantasy Combat to Life

Diablo IV's Game Director Joe Shely and Diablo General Manager Rod Fergusson tell us about finding the right feel and pacing for Diablo IV's weighty combat.

Survival/RPG Soulstone Survivors available on Steam Early Access - Steam

Face the Lords of the Void and their endless minions, collect their Soulstones and become a god! In this Action Roguelite, unveil secret spells, craft mighty weapons, unlock multiple characters, discover game-breaking synergies and conquer the power of the void.
Warhammer 40K: Inquisitor - Martyr Sororitas Class DLC November 28th - Steam

NeocoreGames announced today that the Sororitas Class DLC is releasing 28 November on PC (Steam). This DLC adds as a new playable class an Inquisitor with an Adepta Sororitas background also known as the Sisters of Battle.
Cursed Mansion horror RPG trailer sets a perfect release date - Onono

Developer Dragon Emperors and publisher Upoint Games have published a brand new Cursed Mansion trailer which reveals January’s perfect release date. Long awaited Cursed Mansion will open its doors, reveal demons wrapped puzzles and call for a wholehearted survival instinct on Friday 13th of January, 2023.
Mass Effect 3 remade and remastered in mod for Bioware’s RPG - PCGamesn
Mass Effect 3 is remade, rebuilt, and remastered thanks to a huge Mass Effect mod which changes almost everything in the Bioware RPG, as we await Mass Effect 4

Wait, this is still alive? I thought it was shoved into the freezer by PDX?
It was never cancelled just went into reboot mode at another unknown studio to finish it's development. With that came two years of silence that most thought it was dead.

Also given how much cash was wasted I doubt Paradox would cancel it. As for me I'm curious who is the new developer and what has been changed from the first version.
"It feels really good with Bloodlines 2 and we'll likely be able to set a launch date for the game relatively soon. We feel that the game has been in very good hands and we're incredibly satisfied with what we've seen." He then added that it is "absolutely not impossible" that the game could launch within 2023.

Steelrising Cagliostro's Secrets DLC Released

Kynseed Releasing on PC December 6th - Steam

Plant a mystical acorn that grows into a family tree in which your choices create its branches. Raise a family, farm the land, run shops, and explore a world where everyone ages. When you die, step into your children's shoes and continue your family's legacy.
Disco Elysium Former employees were fired for Misconduct- Gamesindustry
Disco Elysium studio ZA/UM has confirmed an Estonian press report of mismanagement and misconduct among former senior employees to GamesIndustry.biz.

The reports follow news that three key members of ZA/UM – Disco Elysium designer Robert Kurvitz, writer Helen Hindpere, and art director Aleksander Rostov – had been dismissed from the company last year.

In an exclusive statement, ZA/UM detailed some of the reasons behind recent dismissals, but did not name any specific individuals.

The studio said the dismissed employees had limited to no engagement in their responsibilities and work, created a toxic work environment, demonstrated misconduct towards other employees including verbal abuse and gender discrimination, and attempted to illegally sell ZA/UM's intellectual property.
We also have this other narrative from it's game director and art director.

Last edited:
Also if we you want more data to show the game industry is in trouble. :biggrin:
While the holiday season traditionally brings huge game sales, experts predict a muted fourth quarter thanks to a lack of new, exciting content. We'd usually see hot titles for the holidays, but pandemic-related delays have pushed many games into 2023. Yes, the pandemic has eased enough to get people off of their couches — but it's still throwing snags in the supply chain. Those disruptions could strike a blow to an industry that's already suffering from year-over-year comparisons to its pandemic-driven highs in 2021.

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - Dev Diary #2: Meet The Rogue Traders

Meet some of the characters you will encounter on your journey through Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader!
Forspoken - Deep Dive: Exploring Athia

The world of Athia has been afflicted by a corrupting force known as the Break, and Frey’s ability to venture into these blighted areas unscathed proves to be invaluable to the surviving Athians living in Cipal. Frey has plenty of ways to keep her hands full while searching for a way home to New York, including some very intriguing points of interest to explore. Get a glimpse at some of the numerous endeavors Frey can take on while exploring Athia in Forspoken.
What "Open-World" Means for Diablo IV

Diablo IV's Game Director Joe Shely and Diablo General Manager Rod Fergusson discuss how Diablo IV is implementing its open-world while still telling a compelling story.

Dying Light 2 - Bloody Ties DLC Review

Going over the recently released Bloody Ties DLC for Dying Light 2, the first major DLC for the title.
Behind the Scenes of Pentiment - Behind the Ink

Go behind the scenes in Obsidian Entertainment’s upcoming title, Pentiment. Hear the stories of how this historical narrative-driven game focusing on character development, heavily stylized art, and choice-driven storytelling in early 16th century Bavaria came to be from the mouths of the developers behind it.
Cyberpunk 2077 A look at Umbrellas post 1.61 Update - Cramgaming

It’s quite incredible it has taken CDPR this long to fix the Cyberpunk 2077 umbrella problem. They [umbrellas] have always been in the game since day-one. You can see them during a specific dark moment with Judy in the main act, where V and Mister Silverhand have a conversation on a balcony outside her apartment (something to do with letting Silverhand have a smoke for the first time). It happens to be scripted raining here, to suit the mood. You will likely then to have seen NPCs walking around with umbrellas at this point during the cutscene using the game-engine, and not many of them on the streets. It was obviously one of many things broken at the time. Well, rejoice, because Update 1.61 brings the brollies back, and better than ever with lots of fancy illuminated designs, including those which show the time of day and temperature of Night City. Just one more element to add to the immersion factor the game needs more of.

Last edited:
Dying Light 2 Bloody Ties DLC Launch Issues Acknowledged by Devs - MP1st
Hey!I’m very sorry for the issues with Bloody Ties DLC launch, our team is fully aware of what caused the delays and we will work hard to prevent this in the future
As a small apology gift we have a free in-game outfit for you – please visit the link to redeem it: https://techlandgg.com/goodies/outfit-collection
Once again – my apologies, and remember that you can always contact me if you’ll need help with Dying Light 2 – I’ll do my best to help!
Lies of P is Breaking One Major Soulslike Tradition - Gamerant
Soulslikes have exploded in popularity in recent years, and following the universal success of FromSoftware's Elden Ring earlier this year, this shows no signs of slowing down. Many developers are looking for a piece of that success, and as a result of this, games that copy one or several of FromSoftware's mechanics are popping up all over the market. One of a Soulslike's defining traits is usually its cryptic narrative. With very little explained to the player from the outset, games like Bloodborne, Mortal Shell, and Hollow Knight ask the player to discover the story for themselves, should they wish to.

Hogwarts Legacy - Gameplay Showcase

Join Game Director Alan Tew, Senior Environment Artist Boston Madsen, Community Manager Chandler Wood, and special guest Community Host James “XpectoGO”.
Pentiment’s defining detail is its fonts - Polygon
Riley Cran and his small Lettermatic team built six different fonts for Pentiment, each of which has a different purpose in the game. Pentiment is not a voiced video game, so its fonts take the place of voices. “We can use these fonts to make characters exclamatory,” Obsidian producer Alec Frey told Polygon. “We can show [a character’s] education level, personality, and backgrounds through the fonts. It allows us to really give a voice to the characters and bring the world to life.”
New screenshots for Atomic Heart - DSO
Mundfish has released a new set of screenshots for its upcoming Unreal Engine 4-powered first-person shooter, Atomic Heart. These latest screenshots showcase what PC gamers can expect, visually, from this game.
Marvel’s Midnight Suns’ Injury Mechanic is an Immersive Feature - Gamerant
Marvel’s Midnight Suns has a fascinating mechanic involving characters who are downed or defeated in combat. If left that way at the successful end of a combat mission, they will still be playable afterward and not removed from the game or anything that drastically consequential. However, they will return to the next combat mission with considerable gameplay detriments. Such detriments have been reported to include negative status effects or other such impediments to that character, making the player’s choice to bring them back a difficult one.

Back
Top Bottom