I don't like Planescape Torment. Is there something wrong with me?

Yeah, my wife thinks I'm in love with Arie from Baldur's Gate 2.

Um... other than that he's a pretentious, humorless, small-minded prat with an inferiority complex the size of Gibraltar?

I actually found Anomen quite sweet. He has his faults but that makes him more human and touching.

Ooookay.... I guess...

/backs away slowly with no sudden moves

Um... other than that he's a pretentious, humorless, small-minded prat with an inferiority complex the size of Gibraltar?

She was referring to his coming on to the female PC in a pretty pathetic, but then none of the other romances is particularly impressive either... As for the rest of his character he is actually somewhat amusing if you guide him to the right choice at a certain point in the game and team him up with the right people. On the whole he was far less annoying than commie Nalia or whiny Aerie:)

EDIT: Coming to think of it he is probably the only NPC whose character can develop along different paths...

nope! Viccy also can develop along different path providing male PC is romancing her :)

Ok, I never tried that as the evil path is so artificial (randomly saying that "i rather kill you instead" is not evil, it is stupid, and you get good deed points way too often) that I find it hard to play.

One of my pet peeves in RPG's. Take Mask of the Betrayer, for example: in my last play-through, I willingly devoured the spirit of an ancient, powerful, and majestic spirit and then used his withered husk to create an undead construct from a thousand screaming souls trapped in an ancient crematorium; I tricked a perfectly harmless and innocent trader into getting eaten alive by a tribe of cannibals, then picked through the bones for loot; I condemned the soul of a wise and good old woman to eternal torment by commanding my undead construct to absorb her soul into its multitude and so force her to servitude; finally, I devoured the soul of a suffering and wronged character because I wanted her power.

And... I ended the game as Chaotic Good (0/100), which got me a wonderfully rhapsodic description about the peace, warmth, and serenity that reigns in the deepest recesses of my soul. Why? Because every use of my Eternal Rest feat (which I used to sate my hunger, because it would not increase my Craving) and my Channel Energy feat (which I used to heal myself and my companions/servants in order to win battles) bumped my alignment 2 points towards Good. That's just... wrong.

Ok, I never tried that as the evil path is so artificial (randomly saying that "i rather kill you instead" is not evil, it is stupid, and you get good deed points way too often) that I find it hard to play.
Heh, try the good path with her then.
She can become chaotic good in ToB.

I had a hard time getting into the game a couple of years ago too but when I did, I loved it. Before I started playing it I had heard a lot about the game and was trying to rush it, trying to get to know what that supposedly great story is and everything and ended up not playing it for awhile. Months later I tried again and for some reason I got sucked in that time.

Maybe for you the game is just too old. Planescape doesn't stand the test of time too well. It's like Aliens vs Predator 1. I can say that the game scared the crap out of me the most but if you play it now it's a walk in the park because the enemies are a bunch of pixels.

I just played Sanitarium the other day. For everyone who liked Planescape Torment I recommend it. Dark, twisted, funny and fantastic. You'll love it. But be sure to get the patch if you play it.

Hey Krat, welcome to the forums.

I had a very similar experience myself - my first time playing the game was anything but successful. A friend of mine let me loan his game CDs and told me it was an amazing game, so I expected to be blown away immediately. It didn't happen. Not even close. Ended up stopping after a short while, but gave it another try later on, and loved it.

I think patience is important when playing PS:T - it's just not going to grab you the way certain games do (unless you have a thing for Morte or TNO, ofc), untill you reach a certain point.

I have got to be doing something wrong. Everywhere I go it's fight after fight. Then, I'll complete a quest I had no idea I even accepted, and divulge information I didn't know I held. I put everything into STR and CON to stop from dying all the time, and my dialog options haven't really changed from when I had everything in INT, WIS, and CHAR.

This game is boring me to death. It's giving me no reason to like any of the characters. Before I drop PST completely, where can I find Pharod? I think he's somewhere in the crypts below the trash city, but I can't bring myself to fight anymore of those damn monsters unless I know it will take me somewhere.

This walkthrough has a lot of spoilers but if you want to get a bit of a gameplan, you might find it helpful. I usually use it after I've gone through an area once just to make sure I haven't missed anything. (I usually have ;) )

One tip--try to use Mort's taunt ability for the thugs and so forth--they pile on him with his better armor class and resistances, and you can hit them from behind without taking the brunt of the attack. Also, I spent almost all my gold in the early game on having at least 5 healing potions at all times--(the witch in Ragpickers Square sells them, and can also train you in magery.)

Anyway, it sounds like the game's getting on your nerve endings--I have the same problem every time I try to play Mask of the Betrayer. It just may not be the right time to play it for you.

I take hits better than Morte and I regenerate health. I also do way more damage than him at a faster rate (I should also note that Morte can't hurt certain enemies like wererats). Speaking of receiving attacks, Dakkon is as frail as a child. I keep him away from most fights because it's a pain to continually revive him (making everyone immortal takes something out of the experience, I think). Both my party members are borderline useless.

You're having a very different experience with the game than myself, so I'll let you chart your own course.

Back
Top Bottom