I don't like Planescape Torment. Is there something wrong with me?

I don't broadly disagree with the interactive novel thing but I don't get your standards. I'd argue there are relatively few RPGs that honestly do a better job of offering true choices - most of the genre really boils down to "be generous"/"be a bully" and "do the quest this way"/"skip the quest."

But you say this is like a JRPG, yet right at the beginning, you list IWD as your favourite CRPG. Now I love IWD but no way, no day does it offer any level of choice deeper than PS:T other than creating your own party and a heavier emphasis on combat. I don't understand the definitions you are applying.

@PG, good to hear you've seen the light. I disagree with you about the choices bit, though -- the choices you make, both in your actions and in your character development -- will have a huge effect on the outcome of the story, and your relationships with your party members. That's a far cry from an interactive novel IMO -- even if the game is very wordy and it follows a sequential story arc.

I loved PS:T. One of the best games, excellent consequences from choices- you had to really think about what would happen. It wasn't just click, click, whatever.

Excellent game and when my first disc was broken by my nephew I could not sleep until I found a replacement.

I usually like more action and less reading with my games, but I cannot fault PS:T.

Eh, maybe I'm wrong. I'm just giving my impression based on my current *limited* experience with the game.

Most great novels start to catch you at first page, PST totally failed for me. I didn't played a lot of the game but read some dialogs and never get the feeling to read a great novel. Is all this text really a good novel interactive or not? Is any CRPG can be considered as a good Novel interactive or not?

Beside that the area design is very poor, too repetitive. The same for the action. But yes I couldn't play much of this game, I tried multiple time and always failed because I got deadly bored very fast.

I suspect that people for whom English is not their primary language, would find the amount of reading in the game a challenge,

I suspect that people for whom English is not their primary language, would find the amount of reading in the game a challenge,

Amen to that Corwin... let me just say, I've spent about an hour reading conversation between Nameless one and that dude with giant book. What was his name? Something beginning with D.

I assume you mean Dhall, the scribe on the 2nd floor of the Mortuary (the first real NPC you meet, except Morte).

So, to wrap everything up and to summarize:
There is (was?) something wrong with you, but the good people of these
forums fixed you! Yay!! :boogie::boogie::dance::dance::party::party:

Definitely something wrong with you :p

I think a lot of the enjoyment of the experience depends on the extent to which you visualise things as you read it. For me the writing was good enough that the whole place came alive right from the off. I didn't know where I was or what I was doing or have any investment in the characters around me (which for me only accentuated the whole amnesia feeling for the start) but it was damned interesting exploring.

Less so in the mortuary I guess, but once I got out and about into the Hive it really started to work, the whole area radiated a sense of poverty and helplessness, the sense that everyone there had drifted in through a portal and become trapped and it was full of lost souls struggling to survive in a strange and harsh place really worked for me.

Overall, as someone said, the key thing with planescape is that it was about something. It had a philosophical streak to it that is quite unique for RPGs, there was a sense of exploring my own mind and nature, not simply of exploring a few dungeons and a character class system.

I think the raw material of the game as itself and nothing more could be quite underwhelming. The raw material of the game as a fertile breeding ground for ones own thoughts and imaginations on the other hand is IMO unsurpassed.

Man, I'm getting frustrated just trying to find the game! Been out bid three times in the last week for copies on eBay and they are going for $40+ there!

The German magazine PC Games had it a few years ago on the mag's disc - even an DVD version !

I don't know whether it is common elsewhere to put whole games (licensed) onto discs, though.

Bought it on Ebay aswell, several years after it had come out. I had seen it when it did came out, but I think I thought it would just be a BG wannabe and didn't pay it much heed.
I should have though, because I got blown away.
The NPCs, quests and story was just incredible. And to this day I have never identified myself with a chr as much as I identified myself with TNO. To the point when the game ended I sat back with a sad feeling of loss.

Isn't it available on Gametap (for those of the American persuasion anyway?)

I've never used gametap, but it might be worth it. Of course, you can't apply any of the mods/fix packs.

Cough cough, it's a long time ago but I'm almost 100% sure it was translated in my native language.

Overall, as someone said, the key thing with planescape is that it was about something. It had a philosophical streak to it that is quite unique for RPGs, there was a sense of exploring my own mind and nature...

I think the raw material of the game as itself and nothing more could be quite underwhelming. The raw material of the game as a fertile breeding ground for ones own thoughts and imaginations on the other hand is IMO unsurpassed.
That seems.... just too much!

I wonder if those that enjoyed so much the story and its depth and the writing quality of the dialogs have read any book that are better?

Back
Top Bottom