Interesting cannabis case in the UK

Eh... fructose is a completely natural substance. Fruit, berries, root vegetbales all contain it, mostly bound to glucose in the disaccaride sucrose. Which is split into glucose and fructose in the intestines. Fructose-phosphates is also produced during the breakdown of glucose in cells.

OTOH, adding it as a sweetening substance, claiming that it's better than glucose is another issue. And trans fats are bad, of course.

Ah, my misunderstanding, given the name of course it's naturally occurring . . . . I have vague recollections of some particular sugar variation being added to fizzy drinks that's worse than just glucose, is it fructose I'm thinking of or something else?

I think it's illegal here, but I think the definition of "tired" means literally "falling asleep at the wheel". I don't think it means a general "wow, i'm really tired" type of thing?

Well, impaired judgment is entirely subjective until demonstrated through reckless driving. And therefore many different people will have different thresholds. Heck some people can barely manage when perfectly sober and awake ...

Here's an aspect of the debate that may appeal to fiscal conservatives:
California Tax Board Says Legalizing Pot could Raise 1.4 Billion

And while you're at it, tax those sugary soft drinks. ;)

Thanks magerette for that article. I didn't know it had proceeded that far already. I still think it's a long shot at best, but still it's progress.

I found this part very interesting:
California is considered by federal authorities to be the nation's top marijuana producing state with 8.6 million pounds a year, valued at $13.8 billion, making it one of the state's largest agricultural crops, much of which is exported to other locales.

If that is true, it's very ironic. One of the largest crops and not one dime goes to the state.

Well, impaired judgment is entirely subjective until demonstrated through reckless driving. And therefore many different people will have different thresholds. Heck some people can barely manage when perfectly sober and awake ...

I think we call those people who can barely manage 'women', txa.

ZING! Don't kill me, womens! It was a joke :O

Ah yes, my favourite oxymoron:- Woman Driver!! :D

Just wanted to chime in with a small observation several economists have made; drug prohibition allows the drug cartels to make lots of money. They actually welcomed "the war on drugs" since the only ones going down are the smaller dealers leaving the big guys with less competitors, higher demand due to lower supply and therefore even more profit.

For a short summary of several arguments from different sides of this conflict see this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arguments_for_and_against_drug_prohibition

I personally believe in a legal, but controlled sale of all drugs, but the weather is too nice outside to give a long and detailed explanation why. ;)

I personally believe in a legal, but controlled sale of all drugs, but the weather is too nice outside to give a long and detailed explanation why. ;)

IMO it doesn't need one, the arguments for it are so massively superior to the arguments for the current system.

Agreed. And hey, we can tax the hell out of it too and use that money to pay for cool things. Like lasers pew pew pew!

Tax the hippies to pay for another F-22. The irony is delicious. Now we're getting somewhere. ;)

Hang on, once upon a time, I was a hippy!! :)

Hang on, once upon a time, I was a hippy!! :)

It should work out largely cost neutral for drug users, but instead of paying additional risk premiums to those working illegally they'd be paying tax to the government.

Would these drug users be covered under our soon-to-be-extant universal health care plan? I'd honestly like a provision saying they would be allowed to die in the streets, but I doubt that'd fly.

Maybe we can redirect some of the billions we'd save in prison costs to take care of them, specifically?

Would these drug users be covered under our soon-to-be-extant universal health care plan? I'd honestly like a provision saying they would be allowed to die in the streets, but I doubt that'd fly.

Maybe we can redirect some of the billions we'd save in prison costs to take care of them, specifically?

I'd be perfectly happy in general for any basic state provided healthcare to refuse treatment on the grounds of excessive contributory negligence.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/30/newman.tobacco.ban/index.html

An interesting article on prohibition comparing illegal substances (primarily MJ) to tobacco.

I happily pay taxes to pay for addicts health care already. Most addicts actually have serious problems (besides the addiction), they don't just suddenly one day decide to become addicts. Most of them are people with bad luck, psychic problems and difficult backgrounds. Not helping them feels like kicking someone who has already been punched way too many times.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/30/newman.tobacco.ban/index.html

An interesting article on prohibition comparing illegal substances (primarily MJ) to tobacco.

I happily pay taxes to pay for addicts health care already. Most addicts actually have serious problems (besides the addiction), they don't just suddenly one day decide to become addicts. Most of them are people with bad luck, psychic problems and difficult backgrounds. Not helping them feels like kicking someone who has already been punched way too many times.

Agreed.

As a physician (athough no longer working as one), I have to say that it would be impossible for me to refuse treatment to someone needing it. As stated elsewhere (by PJ I think) that would violate very fundamental principles in medical ethics.

Back
Top Bottom