The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

More Dream Theater, this time it's the 2002 album "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence".

"Misunderstood":
The guitar solo starting at 4:40 sounds a bit weird. According to my sources Mr Petrucci recorded the solo, then reversed it and learned how to play the reversed version. Which he then recorded and reversed ... this is what you hear on the CD.

"The Great Debate":

pibbuR who quite often is misunderstood, despite strictly going in the forward direction.

PS. This album also include "The Glass Prison", the start of Mr. Portnoy's "Twelve Step" suite, about his rehabilitation from alcohole abuse. The suite continues on the next 4 albums by the band.DS.

I've been listening to this mix at lot. Lo-fi with definite Asian touches makes for a really chill work environment. Put the fantastic art/animation loop on a big screen in a dark room at night and you'll get good Cyberpunk vibes as well.

"Train of Thought". Maybe Dream Theater's heaviest album (my number 2 favourite, after Scenes).

As I am:

Honor thy Father:
This one is written by drummer Mike Portnoy, and is about ... not his father, but his stepfather, which apparently wasn't very nice. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about what Portnoy had to say: "When asked about what inspired him to write that song, he stated in an IRC: "I'm not very good at writing love songs, so I decided to write a hate song!""

And it is BTW one of very few (2?) songs with a swear word in the lyrics ("so fucking blind to the damage he has done").

pibbuR who promises/warns the watch there will be more Dream Theater.

PS. One more thing: The opening chord of "As I Am", is the same chord ending the previous album, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence". They did that also for that one, where the start was the same as the end of "Scenes From a Memory". DS.

Last edited:
After hearing of his passing, today I've been diving well deep into all that was a prince of Canada, Gordon Lightfoot. I'm more a fan of his sixties and seventies albums/ releases, yet anything by this gentleman is worth listening to.

I just read that Andy Rourke passed, so I'm going to be digging up every Smith's album I have and listening to them all over the next few days. RIP.

Another great one has passed, Peter Brown has left this mortal coil for the next phase. His collaborations with Jack Bruce are the stuff of legends, and I plan on doing some serious listening to the songs he crafted in the upcoming week.

My son's very first concert was a Elton John/Billy Joel collaboration, at RFK stadium back in the day. I like to think I got him off to a good start, as his second show was Pink Floyd! -p

One of my all time favorites.

I like this (older) video more. I like the laconic people and a bit run down look of the bar.
View: https://youtu.be/HVKtL9VU8rQ
I hadn't seen that one before. I almost didn't recognize him in the video. I guess I never saw footage of him that young.

Apparently that version was made in 1973, and the other wasn't until 12 years later.

Back
Top Bottom