The "I Just Bought" thread

Thanks. Yes, it is but for £270 - which is around $335.
Not a bad price. If it's the size and resolution you're looking for, I recommend it.

As I mentioned, the only thing I don't like is the stand. It has a large footprint and doesn't swivel left-right which could be an issue on a smaller desk. Other than that, it's an excellent gaming monitor at that price point.

Last edited:
Ok, so I didn't actually buy this for myself, one of my brothers bought this huge 28 quart air fryer/oven for me and my mother to use, since I have issues using my current stove/oven due to the proximity of my refrigerator. So, we've not actually used the new fryer/oven yet, it's some super nice looking thing from Williams-Sonoma so I'm certain it will cook well, I'll give more updates after I've actually used it!

This:

IMG_20230509_154133.jpg

A glass with the periodic table of elements. Fully updated, as you can see, since element 118, previously known as Ununoctium, now is correctly named Oganesson (Og).

pibbuR who realizes there won't be an element Pibburium (Pi) in the forseeable future.

Last edited:
New car:

opel_corsa-e_exterior_GAU-grey_16x9_cosol22_c01_044.png

Opel Corsa E(lectric). The old one, a 6 year Hyundai Ioniq Plugin Hybrid, suddenly started responding somewhat erratically to the accelerator, and blatantly rejected any reverse running suggestions. We feared curative (attempted) operating treatments would take time and require significant financial transactions. So, since we already were contemplating getting a new one, the decision was fairly simple. Time to let it go.

There's only two of us now, so a smaller car was OK, and considering intended use of the thing, 350 km when fully charged is more than enough. Tuesday is the day!

We could of course have bought a more "exciting" car, a Tesla, a BMW, there's even an electric Rolls Royce. Or the one I really wanted, the veeery desirable Hyundai Ioniq 5. But (unlike when buying PC equipment) I chose to be rational and buy what we actually needed.

pibbuR who likes caviar, but doesn't need football teams or jet planes of any kind (except the A 380 model the wife bought him for Christmas some years ago).

PS. As mentioned the old one was a plugin hybrid (70 km electric capacity). It turned out that we very rarely used petrol, and usually only when we forgot to charge it. On the average we filled the tank twice a year. DS.

Last edited:
You are of course dying to know how life has been the last two weeks after buying the new car. All in all quite pleasant. Unlike the old one this car respects my requests when it comes to accelerating and driving backwards. But two things are worth mentioning.

Adaptive cruise control.
We had cruise control on the old one, but never used it. But since everybody recommends it I decided to try it. In many ways it's good but I have 3 problems:

1. Where to place my right foot.
  2. We don't agree on what's the safe distance to the car in from of us.
  3. We don't agree on what's the safe speed in curves.

2) and 3) makes me a bit uncomfortable (ATM).

Speed limits.
Like the previous car, this one shows current speed limit on the desktop (dashboard). But while the old one based this service on GPS maps (updated once a year), now the car reads road signs. What's good is that it detects temporarily decreased speed limits due to for instance road work. What's not so good is that if there, upon starting, is no speed limit signs in view it's not sure what to do. So when I start driving from the parking space outside the local shopping mall (where I had my cup of coffee, sandwich and crossword puzzle solving session), it suggests 80 kph. Somewhat beyond loosing-drive-license-speed at said place. Since I know the area I'm not fooled, and these days I seldomly visit unknown territories, so I don't expect significant problems due to this feature.

pibbuR who usually moves at 8-10 kph.

Where to place my right foot.
It often gets me cramps when I have to drive for a while. But, if you set it for maximum speed instead of simple cruise speed, and unless you push very hard with your foot, you can use it normally.

I don't like to put my foot down elsewhere because it's too dangerous, since it slows down the reaction time.

So this isn't a purchase I made today, rather, it was about three weeks ago. My old refrigerator, while supposedly top of the line, had several issues that I endured for almost four years, then finally got tired of dealing with them all and got a new, very reasonably priced and far more efficient machine. It's nothing special, no water or ice outputs, yet I can already tell it's running far less than the older machine did. The prior one was also smack-dab against my cooker/stove/oven, which I never liked. The newer one has about a five-six centimeter gap, and I admire it almost every time I wander past.

Note to myself: sometimes it pays off to bite the bullet and make changes before years pass!

Another trilobite:
IMG_20230704_145554.jpg

This one, according to my pusher, is 430 million years old.

pibbuR who, with some satisfaction, notices that his age compared to the thing is 1.5813953488372093023255813953488e-7. And who expects his new refrigerator to be delivered in 48 hours.

I sympathize: refrigerators have sometimes a mind of their own. Our is purring like a very loud cat but apparently it's normal. It's very noisy though. And recently, it was doing it very often despite a reasonable 21°C temperature, so I rebooted it and now it's fine. Go figure.

The trilobite makes all this seem irrelevant, somehow. Does it talk? Was there anything worth doing on Earth, 430 million years ago? ;)

Great humble choice för RPGs this month. Outer worlds collection, Roadwarden, Yakuza 4 and a few indies(Temtem, Kraken academy, Merchant of the skies). Now to buy some time to pay them...

I retired my old Keurig today and got a new coffee maker (Technivorm Moccamaster). These things are pricey, so hopefully it was worth it. I'll need to get a burr grinder and stop buying generic pre-ground coffee now.

I retired my old Keurig today and got a new coffee maker (Technivorm Moccamaster). These things are pricey, so hopefully it was worth it. I'll need to get a burr grinder and stop buying generic pre-ground coffee now.
I'm still rocking an older Keurig..
sounds like a lot of work to make a cup of coffee, let us know if its worth it.

Sounds like to much effort just to make one cup of coffee. Much easier to use instant coffee, and that is a no no among coffee lovers. Anyway enjoy your purchase.^^

My parents have one, so I knew what I was getting into. Plus coffee snobs seem to like 'em. I'll say one thing - the coffee made is a lot stronger than my old keurig (while still tasting good - well, as good as Maxwell House will taste).

Keurigs still have an advantage for those moments where I only want one cup (eg, after dinner).

I remember when I was a coffee snob, one of the few things I left behind in Alberta. Though I have to say, people used to beg me to grind up some beans and put on a pot, even now I can enjoy the scent in the air. I've not chugged any of the dark spew in over five years, now.

New car:

opel_corsa-e_exterior_GAU-grey_16x9_cosol22_c01_044.png

Opel Corsa E(lectric). The old one, a 6 year Hyundai Ioniq Plugin Hybrid, suddenly started responding somewhat erratically to the accelerator, and blatantly rejected any reverse running suggestions. We feared curative (attempted) operating treatments would take time and require significant financial transactions. So, since we already were contemplating getting a new one, the decision was fairly simple. Time to let it go.

There's only two of us now, so a smaller car was OK, and considering intended use of the thing, 350 km when fully charged is more than enough. Tuesday is the day!

We could of course have bought a more "exciting" car, a Tesla, a BMW, there's even an electric Rolls Royce. Or the one I really wanted, the veeery desirable Hyundai Ioniq 5. But (unlike when buying PC equipment) I chose to be rational and buy what we actually needed.

pibbuR who likes caviar, but doesn't need football teams or jet planes of any kind (except the A 380 model the wife bought him for Christmas some years ago).

PS. As mentioned the old one was a plugin hybrid (70 km electric capacity). It turned out that we very rarely used petrol, and usually only when we forgot to charge it. On the average we filled the tank twice a year. DS.
Wish you were here.

Back
Top Bottom