The TV Series discussion thread

I finished watching the second series of Titans and I rather enjoyed it. The way this show depicted Deathstroke and his merry band was a solid homage to some old school comics, and watching Grayson develop into Nightwing was a pleasure to watch. By no means a perfect show yet this one gets much correct, at least for my viewing.

I stopped watching soon after Rick Grimes disappeared (Season 9?). At that stage I thought FTWD was much better, but then they knocked off the better characters in that, so...
Read the comic version it treats the story and characters better. ^^
The comic ends with Rick's death — he is murdered in cold blood by Pamela's twerpy, sociopathic son, a crime that precipitates widespread social change and upheaval across the Commonwealth community.
In my opinion the show became a chore to watch, instead of being just entertainment. I'm so glad that I stopped tuning it a few years back. As the quality dropped dramatically.

How many spin-offs have been made or airing right now? To many. :roll:

Last edited:
As Couch said above, while the telly version of the Walking Dead started off well, it meandered and lost me rather early on. The comics, however, are well worth reading, over and over again.

I liked the 2 or 3 first seasons of TWD when it was still fresh (if that's the correct word for it) and somewhat original but after that it became too stale for me.

I've watched a few episodes of For All Mankind. It's good, I like the idea of exploring alternative history. The plot has enough twists and facets to keep the show interesting so far.

The atmosphere is remarkably positive despite the situation, except a brief moment of darkness at the beginning; it seems they're trying to keep the audience in a good mood with happy moments whenever they can. I would have loved to see the Russian's side of the story too, though maybe that would have been too much.

I quite enjoyed watching For All Mankind. There's a few story threads that had me reaching for the ever present book, yet on the whole it's a good yarn.

Right now I'm watching the English, up to the fourth episode and the story is really taking shape. And I watched the first episode of that Stallone show, Tulsa, which seems to be a crime drama. Not sure if I'll stick with this one, seems a bit lackluster so far.

Nevermind what I said about rosy atmosphere in For All Mankind, it's not always the case.

Some of the stunts seem impossible to me at that stage of space exploration though, and some situations look very artificial and far-stretched. The Apollo 24 mission to rescue Baldwin that itself needs to be rescued by Apollo 25, and then both get into yet another trouble. Then I'd be curious to see how Apollo 24 would manage to rendez-vous with Apollo 15 without carefully planned orbital trajectories, let alone catch a full fuel tank thrown by an astronaut. Ridiculous. Hopefully there's not too much of that in the remaining episodes.

Nevermind what I said about rosy atmosphere in For All Mankind, it's not always the case.

Some of the stunts seem impossible to me at that stage of space exploration though, and some situations look very artificial and far-stretched. The Apollo 24 mission to rescue Baldwin that itself needs to be rescued by Apollo 25, and then both get into yet another trouble. Then I'd be curious to see how Apollo 24 would manage to rendez-vous with Apollo 15 without carefully planned orbital trajectories, let alone catch a full fuel tank thrown by an astronaut. Ridiculous. Hopefully there's not too much of that in the remaining episodes.
Yeah I stopped watching a few episodes after that.

I started watching 1899 tonight. I'm only on the second episode, and I'm already hooked. The setting and atmosphere are great. I have a feeling this might be better than Dark.

I finished the English last night, and while one or two of the episodes weren't up to snuff for me, I did enjoy watching the entire story play out. The production is pretty solid, I thought they did a fine job of immersing the viewer back to that time period, much better than some other western productions. I would have really enjoyed more backround on the Pawnee and perhaps some of the other Native cultures that were involved in the tale, at certain stages during the story.

As someone who occasionally watched the OLD Addams Family TV show last century, I decided to give the new version Wednesday a try. Not quite what I expected, but I did enjoy it. It has mixed reviews with people either loving it, or hating it. Very, very little middle ground. Some of the casting was off for me, but the lead actress was IMHO brilliant!!

Outer Range w/ Josh Brolin.

Yellowstone + Dark, there is promise in its premise but I found the first season very unfocused and in need of an edit or three on the screenplay level. The final twist at the end of the season was obvious from the first or second episode.

7/10, watch it if you're bored. First season ends on a cliffhanger of sorts, but I'm not all that eager to see how it continues meandering from that point.

I expected more from Outer Range and yeah, several episodes could have used some more editing for sure.

I'm a huge fan of both the Adam's Family telly show and films so I checked out the newest iteration, Wednesday, and so far have enjoyed it. I've viewed four episodes to date and will likely finish it off either this week or next. The one serious complaint I'd have so far is no sign of my favourite uncle yet. -xxx

Watched the first couple of episodes of Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities. Pretty good. I need a sequel to the first story, though, to answer a few questions.
For example: what was the hopping ritual all about (I'm assuming something to ensure some sort of imprisoning enchantment doesn't break, but there was no confirmation of that)? Also - with some voracious demon roaming the corridors of a storage company, WTF happens next?

I saw ep 2 of Cabinet of Curiosities, Graveyard Rats. And I loved it. I fell it was inspired by Lovecraft’s Rats in the Walls, or however it’s called. Unless I’m misremembering. Cool stuff. I hope it manages this level of quality.

It was based on a Henry Kuttner short story. He was a a part of a group of authors that regularly corresponded with Lovecraft, and wrote some of his own Cthulhu Mythos stories (I have a collection of them), so there is almost definitely an influence there.
Kuttner and his wife (C L Moore) were a big deal in SF&F and weird tales circles in the 40s and 50s, or thereabouts.

Back
Top Bottom