The TV Series discussion thread

Will it feature a protagonist that gets less airtime to flesh out secondary characters again? That was the biggest problem with the original Witcher show. I hated that.

No idea. It's apparently only a four-part series, so I'm interested in seeing how they do this. I know very little other than it takes place a thousand years before the events of the books.

Right before Nicole hit my area I'd finished watching the third series of For All Mankind, which I believe catches me up on the entire show. As a whole I enjoyed the program, though I'd say the first series was by far the strongest, at least for me. The third could have done with some serious editing and delved into topics that, once or twice, had me reaching for a book, especially during the final two or three epiosodes.

As a whole I enjoyed the program, though I'd say the first series was by far the strongest, at least for me.
The first season was certainly the strongest - because it really connected with people, blending actual history with divergent paths. As a space buff, it was bittersweet.

The second season (honestly not sure if I've watched the third), started going into more typical melodramatic character arcs more common in the annals of TV.

Aside from Man in the High Castle, what are some other shows that tried to blend recent history with alternate history?

Saw episodes 3&4 of TWD S11, and I don't know how they manage to screw things up, but they almost always seem to. They introduced another menacing group, pretty nicely, and even managed to make them look and feel dangerous. But then they go ahead and reveal the inner organization of that group and its leader, and it turned out very meh. They're really uninteresting and their kinda boring leader, who for some reason makes some stupid logic fallacies. But not even the entertaining kind. It's almost like the writers are just phoning it in sometimes.

It's pretty certain TWD will not introduce another great antagonist like Negan.

The first season was certainly the strongest - because it really connected with people, blending actual history with divergent paths. As a space buff, it was bittersweet.

The second season (honestly not sure if I've watched the third), started going into more typical melodramatic character arcs more common in the annals of TV.

Aside from Man in the High Castle, what are some other shows that tried to blend recent history with alternate history?
Counterpart? It took place in the present, but with a history that diverged in 1987 due to some experiments in East Germany. One of the very best series on TV in recent years imo, but it got cancelled after 2 seasons and didn't get a real ending. Still worth watching.

For All Mankind, but I haven't watched it (yet).
For All Mankind was the one he had been discussing to begin with :D

Last edited:
The first Counterpart series was exceptional, one I've already re-watched simply because of how bloody brilliant it is. The second, at least for me, isn't nearly as good, though I would have happily watched a third, had it happened.

Been watching House MD for the first time (I know, somewhat late to the party), and I'm greatly enjoying it! Sure, the scenarios can be ridiculous and far-fetched, but this banter is some truly hilarious writing!

I think that would be pointless at this stage anyways.
Yeah, that whole menacing group wrapped up in a couple of episodes and now, on ep 11, it seems we're going in a different direction. I think I know what they're going for, but it's kind of uninspired and rehashed. But still sufficiently entertaining to not just abandon, being so close to being done with it.

One thing that's little disappointing is that the more it's more going the less hope I have that any of the cast that left and we're not sure they're dead will make a surprise return.

Anyone tried Emily Blunt's western - The English? I'm getting good reports, and she's usually very good.

I'm planning to check that one out, Ripper. The real trouble I tend to have with telly productions of the west is the immersion is almost non-existent....the actors/characters usually just don't look the part. Television shows seem to have a real problem with this, and the costumes often as well, whereas films more often tend to be better, at least for me. I'll at least watch the first episode, hopefully sometime this week.

Last night I finally completed all of Vikings (I still detest the title!). If I ever re-watch the entire series again, I'll likely cease at the point where Ragnar is out of the tale, as the fifth and sixth series didn't do a whole lot for me. I did, however, like how they brought back one character that seemingly disappeared at one point, yet shows up in the final two episodes. All in all not a bad show, the first few series are really good, and I'd say the final two could have used some extra editing.

Probably only of interest to folks in the UK, or longterm watchers of our telly. Harry and Paul have done a silly spoof documentary in the style of Adam Curtis, on 100 years of the BBC. It's called The Love Box in Your Living Room, and is the funniest thing I've seen for a while.

16 episodes into the final season of TWD and, it feels like all other seasons. Meaning, I don't think they're gonna try to wrap with a certain significant development or conclusion. It feels pretty much like any other season, and there's still no attempt to investigate or discuss the origin of the zombie apocalypse, or anything more significant than the drama of the current cast of characters.

It's not bad, and sometimes there's even small glimpses of something nice, but overall very meandering and directionless. Plenty of plot armor everywhere. Very little tension.

I'm still hoping they're gonna pull something significant at the last moment, but I'm not holding my breath.

Probably only of interest to folks in the UK, or longterm watchers of our telly. Harry and Paul have done a silly spoof documentary in the style of Adam Curtis, on 100 years of the BBC. It's called The Love Box in Your Living Room, and is the funniest thing I've seen for a while.
I was watching an interview with Harry Enfield yesterday where he mentioned that. I'll have to look out for it.
We get a lot of UK telly over here in NZ, and back at the height of the Harry Enfield Show we had a cat that we named Lulu (as in, "poor Lulu...").
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRbXWiXe7wk

When I was young it was way more UK than USA stuff, but that balance has changed a bit now.

Back
Top Bottom