Things you don't need to know...

They also promise to support the phone with android updates longer than other brands. And they guarantee good conditions for the workers.

All this comes at a cost. The phone isn't as compact as for instance the Samsungs, camera is not as good, no support for wireless charging... For what it costs you definitely can get better and more exciting phones. But that's not the point. They don't make a top tier phone. They make a phone that is (more than) good enough (for most users, methinks), and built to last for a very long time. For some users that's what's important. NB! I don't judge anybody. If for instance you want/need a very good camera, you should no doubt go for one of the other phones.

pibbuR who regrettablly wasn't paid to post this.

PS. The current model is Fairphone 4. Spare parts are still readily available for nr 2, which was released in 2015. DS.
As far as I'm concerned, if you want a good camera, go out and buy a GOOD CAMERA, not a silly phone!!

In the future all we need will be one all-purpose gadget, capable of doing everything (possibly except unifying general relativity and quantum mechanics. And proving string theory, of course)

pibbuR who has started making a few sketches

It would be interesting if camera vendors allowed customers to make phone calls with their products. :D
Might be a good idea (everything comes with a wifi connection these days). Let's just hope they don't make them as small as a phone.

pibbuR who might speak when using his SLR device. But only locally, to get rid of unwanted humans obscuring the target.

Might be a good idea (everything comes with a wifi connection these days). Let's just hope they don't make them as small as a phone.

pibbuR who might speak when using his SLR device. But only locally, to get rid of unwanted humans obscuring the target.
I'm only concerned by how weird it will feel (and look) when I'll talk into the chunky camera lens. ;)

I saw a guy using his 10" tablet to make a phone call while walking, and it didn't look very comfortable. He had to turn his head all the time because the tablet was obstructing his view on one side.

(I'm sure there are connected coffee machines too.)

I'm only concerned by how weird it will feel (and look) when I'll talk into the chunky camera lens. ;)

I saw a guy using his 10" tablet to make a phone call while walking, and it didn't look very comfortable. He had to turn his head all the time because the tablet was obstructing his view on one side.

(I'm sure there are connected coffee machines too.)
Now he knows how horses feel with these ... what's the word ? These leather things covering parts of their eyes when in public, sometimes ...

Now he knows how horses feel with these ... what's the word ? These leather things covering parts of their eyes when in public, sometimes ...
Blinkers or blinders, depending where you live (Europe or US). From there, 'blinkered' is to have a limited range of outlook, e.g. 'to have a blinkered attitude'.

So I suppose a horse wouldn't like to make a call with a tablet. ;)

PS: Don't mistake that for what the Peaky Blinders are wearing.

Last edited:
Apropos:

The iPhone 16 could be powered by nuclear waste diamond batteries
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/nuclear-batteries

pibbuR who is sure that the Fairphone 5 will be safe

PS.
Yea, I know that they won't be weapons of mass destruction. But I chose to post it anyway.
DS

So radiation in a battery? Is anyone sure that stuff is not bad for humans.
Gamma rays have so much penetrating power that several inches of a dense material like lead, or even a few feet of concrete may be required to stop them. Gamma rays can pass completely through the human body; as they pass through, they can cause ionizations that damage tissue and DNA.
The article says gamma rays are used.

If not we'll see what happens....:D

The article says gamma rays are used.

The article may be misleading about gamma rays, though I'm not entirely sure. The principle seems to be based on C-14 beta decay, which also makes more sense in that context: beta particles are positrons or electrons, while gamma rays are similar to X-rays, a highly energetic electromagnetic radiation (I doubt it could be transformed into electricity).

The alpha and beta particles are much easier to stop than gamma rays - or worst, neutrons.

Perhaps the gamma rays that are mentioned is what the graphite is exposed to when it's used in a nuclear plant, or when it's in a waste with other materials, but that is not the same as what it emits when it's not exposed and just decays.

Either way, I think it would be a very costly battery but geeks would love it. ;)

The article itself talks about only about low energy beta radiation (which is how C-14 decays) and alfa particles, both with low penetration. Only the caption of an image mentions gamma rays. A bit confusing.

We already have radioactive material in our homes. Ionization smoke detectors (common in Norway at least) contain the synthetic radioactive metal americum. This one emits alfa particlles, unable to penetrate our skin.

what? pibbuR worry?

EDIT: The red glyph beat me to it. Shame on him!!!!

PS. One thing to know about gamma rays. The nuclear fusion taking place i the core of the sun emits gamma radiation which would be incompatible with life as we know it if it reached us. Fortuately during their 100 000 year long passage from the core to the surface, the photons lose most of their energy and leaves the sun mainly as visible light plus some infrared and uv waves. DS.

Last edited:
We already have radioactive material in our homes. Ionization smoke detectors (common in Norway at least) contain the synthetic radioactive metal americum. This one emits alfa particlles, unable to penetrate our skin.
Smoke detectors, gas lanterns, luminous paint, iPhones... Home sweet home.

Reminds me of the radioactive boy scout (this is the long version of it). Imagine what this kid would do with a few iPhones.

Smoke detectors, gas lanterns, luminous paint, iPhones... Home sweet home.
And I also have a bismuth crystal, originally believed to be non-radioactive. Turns out that it is emittining alpha particles. However, alpha particles from outside the body aren't particularly dangerous. That, and a half life of about 2*10^19 years (a billion times longer than the age of the universe) makes me not too worried.

pibbuR who for practical purposes, considers the stuff stable

Back
Top Bottom