Things you don't need to know...

Reminds me of the radioactive boy scout (this is the long version of it). Imagine what this kid would do with a few iPhones.
Reminds me of Mary Mallon, aka Typhod Mary (not the Marvel character), who despite being a carrier of the germ Salmonella typhi, insisted on making food for other people. She infected more than 50 people, causing at least 3 deaths.

Read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Mallon

pibbuR who is no longer infected (and not Hungarian)

Oh yes, eating alpha emittors is in general not recommended. But bismuth has been (still is some places) used to treat the bacterium responsible for peptic ulcers, as part of a 3 or 4 drug regime. The intensity of radiaton is so extremely low, that it's not a significant problem.

For highly alpha-particle-radioactive stuff like Polonium-210 (which killed Alexander Litvinenko) it's as we know another matter.

pibbur who once was treated with said drugs, and absolutely hated the bismuth mixture (and those who made it). It was distinctly yeeecchy!!!!

Last edited:
Interesting story. I used to live in that area, though not when that was taking place. I moved there in 1997. Never heard about that though.
I'm an Eagle Scout and was serving as an Assistant Scoutmaster with my troop when the story came out. It was big news to us!

A bit of history. SandRhoman History revisits old misconceptions about the relative advantages of crossbows vs bows in medieval warfare. I've often heard that the general idea was that crossbows were successful as they didn't need as much training. Apparently, it only makes sense in theory, when isolated from the context.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO_8ZQ37D4Y

I present the Worlds Ugliest Dog of 2023, though not as ugly as the last winner of 2022.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk3J0l8sbiQ

With the recent writers strike I stumbled onto this video.

It seems the more you dig into any field of activity or business, the more you find out each one is chock-full of legalized thievery, accounting tricks and basically legal robbery.
All perfectly legal, everyone turns a blind eye, but unfortunately you need to be able to throw around certain sizeable loads of money to be able to exploit it.
Yeah, it's all good. It's all a meritocracy. The best that mankind can do. Fuck this is depressing. I really empathize with any misanthrope.

I'd be very much in favor of what China does to its criminal bankers. Basically, execution. Any economic crime over a certain considerable threshold, and I'd consider the death penalty.
Ok, maybe that's a bit hyperbolic. :D I'd still execute the criminal banker committing high crimes; And leverage considerable prison time for other economic crimes.
Actually, nah. The way we currently do it, by having no punishment. Or at best a slap on the wrist (a fee) is fine too. :|

Last edited:
Yes, I read about that. He had a lot of good luck. Maybe they should monitor the seven seas more closely for people lost at sea like that.

Back
Top Bottom