Things you don't need to know...

Evil!!! The perfect start of a horror movie. Cell phones are gadgets from hell.

pibbuR who, since there is supposed to be a (black) metal band named after every bad thing, therefore assumes there is a band called "cellphone". And who assumes correctly..

PS.
> I keep telling myself at least I wasn't holding it when whatever happened happened.
Are you sure about that?
CAN YOU BE SURE ABOUT THAT!!!!
DS.

PPS. A list of horror movies aboout phones: https://creepycatalog.com/phone-horror-movies/ DS.

Last edited:
What brand as I've seen this happen with certain Samsung models.

Was later found out to caused by the internal battery overheating.

Evil!!! The perfect start of a horror movie. Cell phones are gadgets from hell.
I've been saying that for years. That little gadget will be society's downfall.:ROFLMAO:

It was a Motorola, I'd had it for almost four years and nary an issue till.....whatever happened. The battery still seemed intact and I've heard of similar stories, mostly when people were traveling and such, yet it'd never happened to me. To replace it I went with the cheapest option which was a Nokia so here's hoping this one doesn't blow up.

And keep in mind I'm a person that can easily go eight to ten hours without touching the thing. And I turn it off every night, so I don't know how it could have been treated better or used less frequently. Also, I immediately disable any sort of location/trackers and never ever connect to the interwebs, it's simply a mobile/texting device to me.

Last Friday I learned in a course about work security to never trust an electric akkumulator in an device if it has fallen down at one point - and to definitively exchange it if it looks ... out of shape.

I had noticed a bulge in the mobile yet I thought it was the cheap protector warping or something. Obviously I couldn't have been more wrong as the protector actually survived and is already on the new mobile, lol. Next time I'll take a change like that more seriously.

So people actually eat this in England?
Gentleman's relish is a curiously savory spread that has been a staple of British cuisine for generations. The strongly salted condiment made from anchovies, butter, herbs, and spices is typically served on toast or crackers, often with cheeses or meats for an extra jolt of umami. But what makes it so special? Is it the salty, fishy flavor? The smooth, buttery texture? Or is it the fact that it's called "gentleman's relish," which sounds like something one might find in a fancy Victorian eatery? Well, whatever it is, gentleman's relish is an acquired taste — and for that reason, quite polarizing. Some people love it, while others find it revolting — similar to Vegemite, cilantro, and licorice. However, if you're a fan of intensely pungent flavors, then you might just be a gentleman's relish aficionado.

Speaking of the heat and no idea if it was a factor or not, my mobile literally blew up on the porch yesterday. Fortunately it happened after all the family calls due to Father's day, so at least those happened earlier. I was sitting on the porch reading and I heard a text come in, figured I'd check it in a few minutes and then saw something out of the corner of my eye and heard a slight noise. I put the kindle down and looked, saw the mobile protector lying on the concrete and the phone itself had parted face from base, I could see the glue holding some parts still together yet there was a separation of at least two cents all the way around. So, I had to get a new mobile, fun times.

I keep telling myself at least I wasn't holding it when whatever happened happened.
Was it in direct sunlight? They can heat up a lot surprisingly quickly.

No, my position on the porch protects me from the sunlight. As an irish lad through and through, I have two skin states: burned and unburned. I, like most creatures of the night, tend to avoid direct sunlight. -p. Now it was certainly warm on the porch when it happened, I'd say 35-38 C or maybe even warmer, yet no direct sunlight.

It's strange that it happens after so long. Could batteries slowly degrade and ultimately go bang? It doesn't sound impossible.
They don't degrade but was found to be caused by manufacturer error. Anyhow the bigger problem is you can't change or remove modern batteries easily anymore.
There was even a recent EU ruling forcing cellmakers to allow that.

They don't degrade but was found to be caused by manufacturer error. Anyhow the bigger problem is you can't change or remove modern batteries easily anymore.
But that seems to happen quickly after the item is sold, not 4 years later. It's probably the same problem (separator breached) after enough cycles or for some other external reason.

.... Anyhow the bigger problem is you can't change or remove modern batteries easily anymore.
Unless you get a Fairphone where batteries and several other components can easily be replaced. Fairphone is not availabe in the US, however (AFAIK).

pibbuR who has one.

Never heard of the brand myself so your right not sold in the US. I remember cellphones back in the flip-phone days had larger batteries. Now everything is glued and screwed in.

Last edited:
Lithium batteries have apparently taken out 13 people this year in New York alone.

Never heard of the brand myself so your right not sold in the US. I remember cellphones back in the flip-phone days had larger batteries. Now everything is glued and screwed in.
They also promise to support the phone with android updates longer than other brands. And they guarantee good conditions for the workers.

All this comes at a cost. The phone isn't as compact as for instance the Samsungs, camera is not as good, no support for wireless charging... For what it costs you definitely can get better and more exciting phones. But that's not the point. They don't make a top tier phone. They make a phone that is (more than) good enough (for most users, methinks), and built to last for a very long time. For some users that's what's important. NB! I don't judge anybody. If for instance you want/need a very good camera, you should no doubt go for one of the other phones.

pibbuR who regrettablly wasn't paid to post this.

PS. The current model is Fairphone 4. Spare parts are still readily available for nr 2, which was released in 2015. DS.

Last edited:
Lithium batteries have apparently taken out 13 people this year in New York alone.

This is an example of posts I would Like, but not the message, so what do I do?

Wow or Sad should work. We need more reactions as was mentioned before.:unsure:

Back
Top Bottom