World Cup 2022 - Qatar

I agree that this one is distinctly the worst, but every WC I can remember was marred by corruption and scandals. If I remember correctly there was also the talk about workers' conditions at the Brazil WC in 2014.
From what I gathered we had 9 workers who died during the construction and/or renovation of stadiums for the World Cup. Way way less workers than Qatar had but still a high number :(

Regarding the recent cuts of both Sadio Mané and Karim Benzema, it's a pity. For those who appreciate good football, the World Cup gets worse without them :(

Probably boring 0-0 today, i expect a few surprises at this edition, no rain + huge heat will favor some teams.

I was getting ready to wear my Sadio Mane jersey. Loved him at Liverpool and how he gives his money to education and hospitals in his home country.

Are those from Qatar even pro players? lol they cant make more than 3 passes in a row, disastrous first half

The captain from Ecuador is certainly the key player for that team. He created multiple chances, has the composure to score penalties and seems quite well liked by the team.
I think that if he's injured, then Ecuador's chances will plummet.

They played relatively well, but their opponent - Qatar - was very error-prone and not very good.

We looked pretty lively in our opener, but they're probably teasing us.

It was all a bit strange, because over the last few days, Iranians have been asking English fans to boo Iran, to show solidarity there. But then the captain very bravely came out and said his piece, and the whole team refused to sing the national anthem. They could very well be made an example of.

When Taremi took that penalty, man... there was a look in his eyes.

6-2 is quite a statement and some of the goals from the young players is really promising. If they can keep it up, and not get injured, even if England don't win this time, they're setting themselves up for a good run in the next 4-8 years.

I am politically very much against Iran, but I can't fault people who just play football for very much. I felt really bad for the goalie who heabutted his teammate. :(
However, I do have a strange level of schadenfreude at Iran losing so strongly :D

6-2 is quite a statement and some of the goals from the young players is really promising. If they can keep it up, and not get injured, even if England don't win this time, they're setting themselves up for a good run in the next 4-8 years.

I am politically very much against Iran, but I can't fault people who just play football for very much. I felt really bad for the goalie who heabutted his teammate. :(
However, I do have a strange level of schadenfreude at Iran losing so strongly :D
Yes, the chops are there, if they could just hold it together as a team.

With schadenfreude about Iran, for me that went out the window when the captain and the team made their stand. Not to get too off-topic, or wildly optimistic about all the obstacles, but I do think about what a modern, free, Persia could be like.

Yes, the chops are there, if they could just hold it together as a team.

With schadenfreude about Iran, for me that went out the window when the captain and the team made their stand. Not to get too off-topic, or wildly optimistic about all the obstacles, but I do think about what a modern, free, Persia could be like.
I didn't actually see what they did. Let me see if I can google it.

Reading the news (and comments here), it seems that this World Cup is more about politics than sports.

Well, I think that's inevitable in these circumstances, and not necessarily a bad thing. I do think there's different levels of political concern. If it were relatively minor partisan issues involved, I think there'd be a genuine complaint. But here it really is about people living under brutal oppression who want to become free. When those guys refused to sing the anthem, they're not worrying about how it might impact their careers, but that it will probably mean a visit from the secret police for them and their families.

That's real stuff.

Majority of people on Earth live under such conditions. I don't remember other World Cups or Olympics being as much politically colored. Must be the circumstances you name. I.e. the time we live in on the brink of WW3. Anyway, let's not make this any more political thread. I just observed that most comments in the news and here were about politics, not football. That's all.

Well, more specifically, that FIFA is hugely corrupt organization that sold the tournament to another corrupt and brutal regime, and that Iran is on the brink of revolution. These are not typical conditions.

True, that too. Still International Olympic Committee is probably also corrupt - not as openly perhaps, and I don't remember mostly politics focus from the last winter olympics...Could be that people are just blowing off the steam in the beginning and once the real games begin, the focus goes more to football.

I wish there were no restrictions on what we can write here. Someone could move this thread to the P&R sub-section where the speech is free :sneaky:

By all means start a new thread there if you like.

Back
Top Bottom