The TV Series discussion thread

Season 3 is set for Summer 2023. Netflix hasn't announced the exact date yet. I enjoyed the first two seasons enough to watch the third, but I'm not sure about anything after that.

For some reason, I guess mostly filling time, I binged the first season of The White Lotus on HBO. It was ok, with a few cringe "modern" topics tackled. I then tried to start season 2, and apparently the seasons are more of an anthology format. Similar format and theme, but almost completely different cast. And set in Italy. I'm leaning towards dropping off.

It feels sort of like a light Agatha Christie blended with regular character drama. Not sure I would recommend it. Unless you want to kill some time. The actors were pretty solid overall, with a few that stand out. The soundtrack is what I really enjoyed.

January 15. Nice.

iM5PlV8.jpeg

I started "The Patient" last night and enjoying it. It's a 10 episode miniseries from the creators of The Americans. Serial killer kidnaps a therapist to help him. That's not a spoiler, that's the premise.

Some years ago I watched the first series of Titans, and never got around to watching the rest. I checked out episode one of the second season a few days ago and plan on watching them all, as I like how they've adapted the characters to this format.

I guess, another one I don't have to bother with.

I do wonder if the viewership got that bad. And how easily will current series be dropped. Also, was it an expensive series? I would assume yes?

I guess, another one I don't have to bother with.

I do wonder if the viewership got that bad. And how easily will current series be dropped. Also, was it an expensive series? I would assume yes?
That's a pity, I liked that series and want to see how it all ends up.
Though, I think the quality really fell off in the last season, and they made plot decisions that I imagine put off a lot of viewers. It's hard to care if it seems that nothing really matters.

That's a pity, I liked that series and want to see how it all ends up.
Though, I think the quality really fell off in the last season, and they made plot decisions that I imagine put off a lot of viewers. It's hard to care if it seems that nothing really matters.
I haven't gotten around to Season 4 yet, but my expectations weren't super high after Season 3.

Those first two seasons were incredible though. Season 1 might be my all-time favorite series of any show.

Why? Do you assume something isn't worthwhile because it was canceled? Some of the best series I've seen were ones that got canceled at some point.
I tend to have a hard time starting something that I know will not end properly. Very few exceptions to that list, like Deadwood, which was absolutely fantastic, and got cancelled without a proper wrap-up. It did get a 2h movie years later. But in that case, even without the movie it was worth going through.

I think I watched around 3-4 episodes of S1 of Westworld, and it was nice, but it felt very plot dependent. Whereas Deadwood is very character driven, and the plot is just to move things along and give the characters opportunities to react.

I tend to have a hard time starting something that I know will not end properly. Very few exceptions to that list, like Deadwood, which was absolutely fantastic, and got cancelled without a proper wrap-up. It did get a 2h movie years later. But in that case, even without the movie it was worth going through.
For me, it's about quality over anything else. A proper wrap-up doesn't make a crappy show better. For example, TWD is getting an ending, but it doesn't change the fact that the show was mostly garbage for the last 5-6 years.

If you like quality dramas, I'd advise at least checking out the first two seasons of Westworld.

For me, it's about quality over anything else. A proper wrap-up doesn't make a crappy show better. For example, TWD is getting an ending, but it doesn't change the fact that the show was mostly garbage for the last 5-6 years.

If you like quality dramas, I'd advise at least checking out the first two seasons of Westworld.
Yeah, I was a bit hyperbolic about not needing to watch it anymore. I'm sure I'll get around to it at some point, but I've been so inconsistent with watching shows in the last few years. The only one I seriously binged was TWD. And the final season of Better Call Saul. For TWD I still have that morbid curiosity about how it wraps up, but it's mostly about getting into that sunken cost fallacy. I wasted so much time eating that shit-sandwich, that I want to get it all in and be done with it. :D

It is a bit daunting, to be honest, to watch another 15+ or however many there are in TWD S11.

The only one I'm currently cautiously optimistic is TLOU. I have a feeling that will only be passable, especially since I'm already so familiar with it. It'll have to be outstanding, and even do some things maybe differently, to wow me.

I quite enjoyed the first two series of Westworld, yet quickly bailed after the second episode of the third. It just seemed like the quality had gone off into a murky, very shallow area. And I never went back, yet those first two seasons were quite decent.

Back
Top Bottom